× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EOL ReadyNAS replacement suggestions

dtarin
Luminary

EOL ReadyNAS replacement suggestions

Since ReadyNas devices are all officially EOL what's the upgrade path or are we all SOL? 

My ReadyNAS 516 has been stable for many years but now that it's EOL it's time to move since I don't want to be without a NAS if I have a hardware issue such as if the power supply fails. How will I get a replacement?  Or What if I have an odd HD crash and I need support?  Or What if drives on the supported drives list are no longer avail?  

I've searched the forum but surprisingly didn't see much about what people are migrating to.  What are some brands that offer similar and better experience?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: EOL ReadyNAS replacement suggestions

@dtarin wrote:

Or What if drives on the supported drives list are no longer avail?  

The HCL hasn't been very useful for some years now.  Even Netgear support positions it as only a guide.

CMR NAS-purposed or Enterprise drives are fine.  So WD Red Plus, Red Pro, Ironwolf, Ironwolf Pro, or any enterprise class.

@dtarin wrote:

I don't want to be without a NAS if I have a hardware issue such as if the power supply fails. How will I get a replacement?  

Netgear didn't provide parts anyway.  In any event, finding a compatible power supply isn't that difficult.

@dtarin wrote:

Since ReadyNas devices are all officially EOL what's the upgrade path or are we all SOL? 

What are some brands that offer similar and better experience?

FWIW, I think the bigger issue will be software.  Apps are already hard to install, now that Jessie has been archived.  Security patches will have to be back-ported by Netgear, and of course will disappear at some point.

Other options include Synology, QNAP, and Asustor.  I don't own any, but those are the three I'd look at first if I were buying a new NAS now.

Message 2 of 4
dtarin
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

Netgear didn't provide parts anyway.  In any event, finding a compatible power supply isn't that difficult.

I was just basing it on experience after my old NVX power supply burned out.  Supposedly Netgear did at one point provide replacements, but of course, stopped providing them when I needed one.  I had go searching and found a single seller in the UK that made them. 

@StephenB wrote:

FWIW, I think the bigger issue will be software.  Apps are already hard to install, now that Jessie has been archived.  Security patches will have to be back-ported by Netgear, and of course will disappear at some point.

Right,  lack of security patches over time will make it riskier to run the machine over time. 

@StephenB wrote:

Other options include Synology, QNAP, and Asustor.  I don't own any, but those are the three I'd look at first if I were buying a new NAS now.

Yep been looking at those three.  I just need something with similar capabilities as my ReadyNas 516.  Need enough power to run NextCloud and handle backups from various other computers on the network. NAS from all three companies look pretty decent.. haven't chosen which would be best.   (BTW is Buffalo owned by Asustor or vice versa?)

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@dtarin wrote:
(BTW is Buffalo owned by Asustor or vice versa?)

I don't think so.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements