× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ERR Disk Partitioning Failed! & Corrupt Root message

zzzdeejay
Aspirant

ERR Disk Partitioning Failed! & Corrupt Root message

I have a ReadyNas NV+ v2 which has been functioning fine for years. The NAS is set to boot on a timer and when it came on the other morning it was sat with “Booting” on the display for a number of hours. I left it to see if it would progress any further and after about another 3hrs the screen displayed the message “ERR Disk Partitioning Failed!”.

I used RAIDar to inspect the NAS and it showed green lights across the board but the message “corrupt root”.

I followed the support instructions and did a OS re-install. This took a number of hours again, seemed to be progressing OK but then I ended up with the message “ERR Disk Partitioning Failed!” again and RAIDar showing “corrupt root” again.

I’ve read a number of these types of issues across the forums and don’t know whether an option is to remove the first disk (I have 4 in the NAS using XRAID) and see whether that allows the NAS to boot so I can copy data off it.

Can I take the disks out and use a HDD caddy to get the data off them?

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@zzzdeejay wrote:

@zzzdeejay wrote:

whether an option is to remove the first disk (I have 4 in the NAS using XRAID) and see whether that allows the NAS to boot so I can copy data off it.

You could try that, just make sure the NAS is powered down when you remove (and reinsert) the disk.  Use the boot menu, and skip the volume check.

Sorry I don't think I was clear here. My plan was to remove disk 1 altogether (whilst powered off) and then reboot the NAS and see if it would work with just the three remaining disks. To try and answer your first question I looked to see if I had an email from the last time I did a firmware update and have noticed a lot of emails about disk 1 failing:

I did understand your idea, and I do recommend removing disk 1 and skipping the volume check.  If there is some corruption in the data volume file structures, it's best not to let the NAS try and repair it at this point.  Sometimes those repairs can delete data that is accessible.

The fact that you are using 3 TB disks says you have a v2 (arm-based) platform.  FWIW, the Seagate DM drives behave badly in RAID arrays (particularly the 3 TB model you are using).  If you generally use Seagate, replace it with an Ironwolf model instead ST3000VN00x). If you go with Western Digital, get a WD30EFRX.

Let us know what happens when you boot w/o disk 1.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@zzzdeejay wrote:

I have a ReadyNas NV+ v2 which has been functioning fine for years.

Unfortunately the labels are confusing, and a lot of v1 owners think they have a v2.  Are you running 5.3.x firmware?

@zzzdeejay wrote:

whether an option is to remove the first disk (I have 4 in the NAS using XRAID) and see whether that allows the NAS to boot so I can copy data off it.

You could try that, just make sure the NAS is powered down when you remove (and reinsert) the disk.  Use the boot menu, and skip the volume check.

@zzzdeejay wrote:

That should be possible if the RAID volume is intact (booting a PC with a linux live boot disk).  I haven't seen explicit instructions for an NV+ v2 though.

Message 2 of 8
zzzdeejay
Aspirant

Many t hanks for replying StephenB.

@StephenB wrote:

@zzzdeejay wrote:

I have a ReadyNas NV+ v2 which has been functioning fine for years.

Unfortunately the labels are confusing, and a lot of v1 owners think they have a v2.  Are you running 5.3.x firmware?

Unfortunately I have no idea, would I be able to find this out from RAIDar or via any other method? Does it significantly effect the recovery options?

@zzzdeejay wrote:

Sorry I don't think I was clear here. My plan was to remove disk 1 altogether (whilst powered off) and then reboot the NAS and see if it would work with just the three remaining disks. To try and answer your first question I looked to see if I had an email from the last time I did a firmware update and have noticed a lot of emails about disk 1 failing:

Detected increasing uncorrectable errors[4464] on disk 1 [ST3000DM001-1CH166, Z1F1NRET]. This often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.

Disk  1:
  Previous count: 800
  Current count: 848

Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon.  If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

Disk 1 seems pretty knackered! Makes me feel taking disk 1 out and leaving it out is the best course of action?

Should I still skip the volume check?

StephenB wrote: 

@zzzdeejay wrote:

That should be possible if the RAID volume is intact (booting a PC with a linux live boot disk).  I haven't seen explicit instructions for an NV+ v2 though.

I've seen a few instructions but think ditching disk 1 is the best thing to try first?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@zzzdeejay wrote:

@zzzdeejay wrote:

I did understand your idea, and I do recommend removing disk 1 and skipping the volume check.  If there is some corruption in the data volume file structures, it's best not to let the NAS try and repair it at this point.  Sometimes those repairs can delete data that is accessible.

The fact that you are using 3 TB disks says you have a v2 (arm-based) platform.  FWIW, the Seagate DM drives behave badly in RAID arrays (particularly the 3 TB model you are using).  If you generally use Seagate, replace it with an Ironwolf model instead ST3000VN00x). If you go with Western Digital, get a WD30EFRX.

Let us know what happens when you boot w/o disk 1.

Message 4 of 8
zzzdeejay
Aspirant

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on.

Disk 1 is the only disk of this type, the rest are all Western Digital - WD30EZRX.

Message 5 of 8
zzzdeejay
Aspirant

Good news! I took disk 1 out and booted skipping the volume check and am now happily copying the data from the NAS Smiley LOL

Just a couple more questions if you'll endulge:

If I need to power off the NAS with the 3 remaining disks in it do I need to skip the volume check each time I boot now?

When I get a replacement disk (the WD you suggest) do I just power off, add the new disk and power on as normal or do I have to do more?

Thanks again for your help on this, really thought I'd lost everything.

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Once you have copied off all the data and are prepared for the possibility of loss of the volume, reboot normally without volume check disabled.  If your configuration is complex, then save that to an external device, too, before the reboot.  If the normal reboot is successful, add the new drive with the power on.  If you have a need to turn off the NAS and reboot before you are ready for the potential rebuild, then boot skipping the volume check.

If all goes haywire, you'll need to do a factory default and restore your configuration and data.  Note that if you have apps installed, be sure to re-install them before you restore the configuration.

Message 7 of 8
zzzdeejay
Aspirant

Great. Thank you for the continued advice - really appreciate it. You've helped make what could have been a very painful time significantly easier and cheaper! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements