× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Email no longer exists on netgear database, INVALID LOGIN cant REG NAS S/N

hectik17
Aspirant

Email no longer exists on netgear database, INVALID LOGIN cant REG NAS S/N

they other day i was trying to upload my photos on my phone using readycloud and it just got stuck at waiting for device, i tried to login with my email i registered my  account on readycloud.netgear.com and im getting invalid email, i tryer to recover the password and enter the email i used for my account and im getting a "email dos not exist" message i have the original email i received when i set up the account with my NAS and teh S/N so i know i have/had a valid account here, i have also registered a new email with the new netgear website you guys have switched over to and i cant register my S/N for my NAS because its already in use, i even registered another account there with my original email address and the account was created and now im stuck with not being able to register my S/N because its linked to my OG account that i cant recover or access at all. i cant link it to the new system or anything. i cant logon with the readycloud app on my phone or on the pc with my og account but i cant with the new one i made.

how can i get my S/N register on the new account seeing as my original one has vanished. i can forward the original email from 2021 for proof 

Your Product: ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only(ReadyNASRNDU6000)

Registration Date: 5/14/2021

readycloud.netgear.com original email used was hectik17@hotmail.com

but now it might be conflicted with the new account i made using the same email on my.netgear.com

Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: Email no longer exists on netgear database, INVALID LOGIN cant REG NAS S/N

ReadyCloud is being discontinued in a couple months anyway, so you should consider just moving on to a different means of remote access.

Message 2 of 11
hectik17
Aspirant

ok i see, so once they discontinue the ios APP i wont beable to have my photos sync to my readyNAS folders. i was using it to sync from my phone to ReadyNAS then from my NAS i had google drive sync my folder on my NAS so i would have multiple backups PHONE>NAS>GOOGLEDRIVE. 

im sure there are other IOS apps that can access my NAS out side the home network? yeah? like SMB? or FTP? what would be the best method for syncing my iphone photos to my NAS? hmmm 

maybe the best solution would be to use google drive on my phone and manually add my photos there then have my ReadyNAS sync the googledrive photo folder to my NAS>? 

or use google photos on the phone to upload there.. (i dont like google photos much tho) and you cant sync from google photos to google drive anymore.

Iphones are so limited, if i still had my Samsung i would have many other options via more versatile apps.

so even if i cant migrate my readycloud account with my registered NAS serial number over to a netgear account, will that hinder me down the road?

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@hectik17 wrote:

so even if i cant migrate my readycloud account with my registered NAS serial number over to a netgear account, will that hinder me down the road?

Registration only gets you access to support, which you won't get anyway.

You have an Ultra 6,which Netgear stopped manufacturing back in 2013 - so long out of support.  On top of that, you converted it to OS-6 - which Netgear always said was unsupported.  (still the best option - my own Pro 6 has been been converted).

If you are using the home folder in your readycloud account you will need to copy that data into a share (or maybe a home folder for a local account).

@hectik17 wrote:

im sure there are other IOS apps that can access my NAS out side the home network? yeah? like SMB? or FTP? what would be the best method for syncing my iphone photos to my NAS? hmmm 

Iphones are so limited, if i still had my Samsung i would have many other options via more versatile apps.

Resilio Sync will backup your photos from an iPhone when away from home - though I've only used that to back them up to a Windows PC, and haven't tried using the app on the NAS.  FWIW, the apps aren't well maintained, so personally I don't use them.

For general remote access from your phone or PC, you can

1. get a router with OpenVPN or a similar VPN, and install the needed (free) VPN client on the phone and/or PC.  
  2. install ZeroTier on the NAS and similarly use the free client on the phone and/or PC

I use (1) myself, @Sandshark uses (2) because it fits his usage better.  If you are just wanting to access the NAS remotely from a phone or PC, either will work. Once the VPN is connected, you use the phone just as you would at home.  The Files app will connect to the NAS, etc.

Alternatively, you could use FTPS (setting up the NAS to reject unencrypted FTP), and set up port forwarding in the router.  FileZilla is a good free client for PC/Mac.  I haven't used FTPS on my iphone (at least not recently), so I'm not sure if the Files app in iOS will work with it or not.  But there are other clients you could use, including FileZilla Pro.

Don't use SMB over the internet with port forwarding though.

Message 4 of 11
hectik17
Aspirant

I ended up using ESfileExplorer on IOS then linking my google drive to it and my NAS Cloud app syncs from the selected folders from google drive and uploads them to my NAS Photo Folder.

i couldn't get ESfileExplorer to connect to FTP or webdav or SMB. on and off the home network. but google drive worked on wifi and 4G.

ESfileExplorer isn't too aesthetically pleasing but it works. i might try out some other iso apps.. but from memory they are all fairly bad. i used to love using FX File Explorer for Android, it had many options and they all worked. and it was pleasing on the eyes.

will i ever need to register my NAS serial number again? if they bring out a new app? do you think ill need to have it registered at all on netgears webpage? its only really useful for free tech support from my understanding?

Message 5 of 11
hectik17
Aspirant

ill take a look in to the methods and app suggestions you mentioned when i an be bothered to learn the ins and outs of the capability's and extra features your way might have.. 

when you mentioned saving files in the home folder, i don't use it at all for storing files on my NAS but i did take a look and noticed that emby had folders and "configs" "meta" etc located there. would that be affected after the closing down of readycloud? 

https://imgur.com/zJhU3Kc 

https://imgur.com/R7UEhxy 

my email user folder is empty as well as the admin folder,  they should all be safe right? 

cheers for all your time replying to btw, good to have a second opinion on this whole issue

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@hectik17 wrote:

will i ever need to register my NAS serial number again? 

No.  It's an end-of-life NAS, and as far as I can tell Netgear is quiet-quitting their NAS business.

@hectik17 wrote:

I ended up using ESfileExplorer on IOS then linking my google drive to it and my NAS Cloud app syncs from the selected folders from google drive and uploads them to my NAS Photo Folder.

Not something I've tried, so good to know that is an option.

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@hectik17 wrote:

when you mentioned saving files in the home folder, i don't use it at all for storing files on my NAS but i did take a look and noticed that emby had folders and "configs" "meta" etc located there. would that be affected after the closing down of readycloud? 

emby must have created a local user account when you installed it.  The admin account is also local.  So nothing there will change when ReadyCloud shuts down.

The email account is the only one that will be affected - you won't be able to use that account when the service shuts down (or if you leave ReadyCloud before then).

Message 8 of 11
hectik17
Aspirant

i gave Resilio Sync a go and its woo much going on for me to figure it out, for now ill stick to the easy way i mentioned before, 

now emby does have its paths located here.

Paths

Cache:
/home/emby/cache
Logs:
/home/emby/logs
Metadata:
/home/emby/metadata
Transcoding temporary files:
/home/emby/transcoding-temp

i think I'm going to just wait it out and see what happens, make a copy of the emby folder just incase, its a little overwhelming ATM and i dont want to break anything. ohh well its only meta data and user preferences, my movies etc will be safe at bests. good night, thanks again for your time

We can lock this thread now...
Message 9 of 11
hectik17
Aspirant

PS: i also use google remote desktop if i ever need to use my pc from home. it can also mirror to friends tvs or i can use it when im away from home to basically control my pc on the phone, (check ups on torrents P2P programs etc) just thought you might wanna know about that if you ever need to use your pc on your phone for other things besides file browser APPS.

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@hectik17 wrote:

PS: i also use google remote desktop if i ever need to use my pc from home.

My applications are all installed on a Windows PC, and not on the NAS.  So remote desktop is something I use quite a bit (even when home). 

FWIW, I've found that in some places the services are blocked, so it is handy to have more than one way to do what I want. So I  also have some similar tools for remote desktop - in particular, rdp (built into Windows Professional), and NoMachine.  I used to use the free version of TeamViewer, but found that they periodically shut off the free version and want me to pay (and their subscription price is quite high). 

Google Desktop (and TeamViewer) will run from anywhere w/o a VPN, I use the other tools only with the VPN.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements