× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: “Fresh” Debian install

a_carneiro
Tutor

“Fresh” Debian install

Dear community.

It seems that Netgear has finally canned the ReadyNAS family and it seems unlikely that any further significant OS updates will be forthcoming.
I have a couple of ReadyNAS units and would quite like to just get rid of ReadyNAS OS completely and do a fresh install of Debian Bullseye.

Is this something that is relatively straightforward (or indeed even possible!) to do?

If so, does anyone have any instructions that you might be able to share?

Thank you in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

The Pro6 and Ultra6 both have internal headers onto which you can mount a VGA connector cable, which makes them a lot easier to convert.  They are also basically a generic Intel PC under the hood, just one with a lot of drive slots.  The 204 will be trickier because you only have the serial port for communications when installing the OS, memory is not expandable, and you have to deal with UBOOT.

You can Google and find where others have done just what you are proposing.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Depends very much on which model units those are.

Message 2 of 4
a_carneiro
Tutor

Thank you for replying, Sensei 😉

Initially a ARM-based ReadyNAS 204 but I also have a Pro6 and a Ultra6 currently unused and I would hate to just throw them out…
Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

The Pro6 and Ultra6 both have internal headers onto which you can mount a VGA connector cable, which makes them a lot easier to convert.  They are also basically a generic Intel PC under the hood, just one with a lot of drive slots.  The 204 will be trickier because you only have the serial port for communications when installing the OS, memory is not expandable, and you have to deal with UBOOT.

You can Google and find where others have done just what you are proposing.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements