× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help upgrading ReadyNas Ultra 2 Plus memory

EndersShadow
Aspirant

Help upgrading ReadyNas Ultra 2 Plus memory

I have a ReadyNas Ultra 2 Plus that I am looking to do a few things on.

1. Replace the external powersupply (it crapped out on me on the same day I upgraded the HDD's Smiley Mad
  2. Upgrade from Raidar 4.2.31 to OS6 using these steps
  3. Upgrade the HDD's from 2 x 2TB HGST drives to 2 x 4TB WD Red drives (already purchased new drives)
  4. Upgrade Memory (currently using stock DDRIII 1GB-1066)

Couple comments:

• I already backed up all the data from the 2TB drives to another device so I can totally wipe everything and start over
  • I exported a backup config of the existing settings (likely cant be imported into OS6 but you never know)
  • After replacing the drives the device wouldn't boot.  I did the following:
    • Removed both drives and attempted to boot (did not work)
    • Hit the Reset button (did not work)
    • Tested with a multimeter the external brick
      • While testing noticed that the LED was not always turning on, and I never fully got a 12v light on my multimeter
      • Testing of the 3 prong cable that went INTO the brick showed everything was working correctly there

Here are my questions

• For Item #1: What is a good replacement model for the external powerbrick?
  • For Item #4: I have a 2 x 2GB PC2-5300 memory I could use a single chip from to replace what I have now.  Would this be worth doing, or should I just upgrade to a single 2GB PC3-8500 SODIMM chip instead?

Thanks in advance!

Model: RNDP200U|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Help upgrading ReadyNas Ultra 2 Plus memory

For item #2:  The steps (with download links) are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

For item 4:

Definitely double the RAM to 2 GB.  Some have run into out-of-memory conditions after conversion with the stock memory.  I'd go with PC3-8500 myself, given the low cost.  There is some information here that you might find useful: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Memory-test-ReadyNAS-Ultra-2/m-p/754648#...

Message 2 of 9
EndersShadow
Aspirant

Thanks Steven!

I will follow those steps for sure when I get ready to upgrade the unit to OS6. Thanks for posting them!

I found a few options for memory (see links below).  Not sure if it matters if its dual channel or single.

1. Crucial 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model CT25664BC1067
  2. G.SKILL 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model F3-8500CL7S-2GBSQ
  3. Mushkin Enhanced 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model 991643

Any of those a better option than another?

Message 3 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

None of those is any better than another.  But you can get it cheaper used on eBay.

Message 4 of 9
EndersShadow
Aspirant

Thanks!  I ended up going with a InstallerCCTV 12V 5 Amp UL Listed AC DC 60W 2.1mmx5.5mm powersupply and a stick of Crucial 2GB Single DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MT/S (PC3-12800) memory.  I'm aware the memory will operate at the PC 8500 speed, but otherwise I think it should work without causing any issues, and let me upgrade it when I get it in in two weeks (after the unit is operational).

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I've used PC3-12800 memory in an Ultra/Pro 2 with no issue.  It's actually a lot easier to find used than the slower stuff.  Getting a supp[ly rated for CCTV was a good move.  They tend to have better regulation, especially at inrush, than those just listed as for LED lighting.

Message 6 of 9
EndersShadow
Aspirant

Should I upgrade the BIOS with the new hard drives in pace or without?

I’m basically starting from square one and have already dropped in the new memory, the PSU came today and the new hard drives have no data on them, so they will need to be setup….
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@EndersShadow wrote:
Should I upgrade the BIOS with the new hard drives in pace or without?

With.  Though you can do it with only one drive installed - avoiding the resync.

Message 8 of 9
EndersShadow
Aspirant

Thanks everyone, with your help I have:

The device is up and running and I'm currently restoring settings and then will transfer the data from my HTPC back to the NAS

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements