× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 2TB 64MB Cache

Hazerj
Tutor

Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 2TB 64MB Cache

I have looked through the list of compatiblue drive for the Ultra 4+ and the make and model of drives I have
is the HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (0f12115) 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive.I was wondering how up to date is the compatability list since this drive is not listed. Should I assume this drive will not work or that the
list is out of date? Has anyone tried using HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 drive in the Ultra 4+?

Thanks
Message 1 of 13
JBNY1
Tutor

Re: Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 2TB 64MB Cache

I just put this drive in an Ultra 6 today. Passed the self check and so far seems to be working without issues.
Message 2 of 13
Hazerj
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate it !!!
Message 3 of 13
Hazerj
Tutor

Just a follow up. I now have 4 of these drives in an Ultra 6 plus system for a month now and I have had no issues.
Message 4 of 13
JBNY1
Tutor

I have 4 as well. No problems at all. I am putting another in this weekend.
Message 5 of 13
claykin
Aspirant

Yes, would be nice if Netgear would test and validate this disk and the 5K3000 (5400 rpm) disks. The 7K2000 disks are going away soon so its gonna be necessary to provide a new set of Hitachi's (at least until WDC completes the acquisition and destruction of Hitachi's great disks).
Message 6 of 13
jaime1
Aspirant

I just bought 2 of these HDS723020BLA642 2TB 64MB Cache drives since they had the same number at fry's as my other two HDS722020ALA330 drives. Of course I just found out they're a newer version or not exactly the same in terms of numbers. In any case, I figured readynas has been slow and probably will never update their compatibility lists so I just went ahead with these instead of the 3 Terabyte drives since the first two have been working fine an now I see them on the list. I also thought I saw something about no support for the 3 terabyte drives on the NV+. Not sure about the 3 terabyte support, but I got one question? Do I need a jumper on the two pins to bring it down to 3GB/s? There's nothing in the box or sheet of paper that Hitachi includes. They normally tell you this, but I don't want to mess it up if they changed this. I read something about people doing this with software which makes no sense since they all have the pins, but I just want to make sure this is correct. Has anyone seen this information. I can't find it anywhere on the Hitachi site for these models. Also, they use a different number on the site than what's on the drive box so it's nice and confusing just finding the correct drive, at least for me anyway. Any help is appreciated. I haven't looked at this stuff since I set up my other drives and now I'm back trying to make it bigger since it's been nagging me that it's almost full for the last year or more. thanks.

Just a side note in case anyone is looking, fry's has the 3 terabyte drives for $109, but since I can't tell if they would work on this I'll just stick with the 2 since I already have two of them. This should keep me going until the others really come down even more.
Message 7 of 13
jaime1
Aspirant

Well, I decided to pop the drive in after reading a bit more on the sata specifications. I did a hot swap, but there was no change other than a message telling me the drive in bay x was pulled out. So after putting the new one in (HDS723020BLA642) I just powered off and rebooted, then I got "UNKNOWN 465 GB" since I'm still using the 500gb drives. So far the light on that drive is still blinking green, so I'll let it go and see if it does anything eventually because it's not telling me anything else. It does say the drive is DEAD. I sure hope it works, I don't want to have to go back and return these because I don't know what else to get since I couldn't find the same ones I had. I need the space anyway.
Message 8 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

Jaime - if you are still having problems, please open a discussion in Upgrade (Under Boot, Installation, Upgrade and Expansion) for further assistance. This area is for experiences positive or negative, not extensive problem solving.

There are a couple of questions to be asked and answered to assist you.
Message 9 of 13
jaime1
Aspirant

I posted here because this is what you find when you search for this specific drive. So that's why I do it this way. I saw the other threads but didn't find anything that would help me. Thanks for pointing out the other thread though.
Message 10 of 13
PapaBear1
Guide

I understand. You were giving feedback. It's just that a solo discussion in the Ugrade or Expansion area is more appropriate for solving problems, for some of the discussions can get quite lengthy as we suggest something to try and then you give us the response. You did ask about the 6GB/s interface on the drive. These drives will automatically adjust to the fastest available speed of the MB SATA port. In the case of the entire Ultra and Pro series, that is 3GB/s.
Message 11 of 13
jaime1
Aspirant

Thanks for that, but I did figure it out. Well, I went and read a bit more on the sata specs and you're correct. The SATA is backwards compatible so I figured there was no need to use a jumper. I also emailed Hitachi about it, but won't get an answer until next week I'm sure. So I just went ahead and put the drive in the NV plus, but it didn't take it after doing a hot swap. I just got the dead drive and nothing happened. So I just turned it off, pull it out and tried again. The good news is that it worked right after that, it started doing it's thing and it finally finished tonight but it did take most of the day, so everything looks good using these drives with the latest firmware at the moment. I didn't need to hack anything which is good news. Here's the picture, hope this helps others. I'll put the other one in a day or two and let this one run for a bit. I only have 500gb drives in there so these new ones should give me plenty of room to clean up my desktop and organize things a bit more assuming I don't get any problems later.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1177827842 ... directlink
Message 12 of 13
jaime1
Aspirant

Hi guys. Well, I finally finished my four 2 Terabyte drive expansion. The good news is that these drives worked fine with the 4.1.7 firmware. I put up all the pictures. So after adding the last drive, the nas didn't automatically expanded. I had to reboot, then it started and once it finished I got a total of 5560GB of space two and a half days later. You will need to reboot like two or three times before everything gets done. Also, Hitachi did get back to me with this link, I do like that they always show you a lot of the technical information if you need it, so you can check your drives here:
http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/drive-search/

I hope this is helpful to anyone else using these drives. They cost much less than the 3 Terabyte drives so hopefully I'll have plenty of space until I can get something bigger. In the meantime, has anyone used (tested) the 3 T drives in their NV+? I'm just curious? I should also note that I prefer to use retail package drives. I know some people have other opinions about this, but hey I have my reasons and they have worked fine every time and many times I do get them for less than what some bare drives are selling for. I don't need dead drives on arrivals, but again, this is just my own personal opinion so take that as you like, there no need to flame me or start a conversation about what's better. Just get what you like and this is probably why I waited this long too. 🙂
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements