× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home Folder Permissions issue after account rename

Sly_Raskal
Guide

Home Folder Permissions issue after account rename

A few months ago I renamed my account on my ReadyNAS 314. Shortly thereafter I noticed that I was having permissions issues with the contents of my home folder and have been unable to resolve on my own ever since so I wanted to reach out to you guys.

Here are the oddities of this issue:

1. Unable to write new files and unable to create new folders within existing folders in my user account when accessing via mapped network folder (macOS, Windows).

2. Able to create new files/folders and duplicate existing files/folders at the root of my user account when accessing via mapped network folder (macOS, Windows).

3. I do not experience any issues creating files/folders when accessing my account via terminal using SSH on macOS.

4. If I duplicate a subfolder using SSH at the same level as the source folder, the newly created folder and it's contents have no permissions errors when accessed via a mapped network drive.

I've inspected the file/folder permissions and nothing looks out of the ordinary to me. The fact that I'm able to SSH into the device and manipulate the files without issues leads me to believe this may be an issue with the SMB/AFP protocols, but I don't know where to get started with debugging those issues.

Have any of you ever experienced an issue like this and know how I can further debug what is going on?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
Sly_Raskal
Guide

Re: Home Folder Permissions issue after account rename

I wanted to add that I have tried the following:

1. Rebooted the device multiple times.
  2. Disabled and re-enabled both SMB and AFP.
  3. Deleted NAS credentials in Apple's Keychain access and reconnected to the mapped network share.
Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

This can be a bit tricky with home folders, because there is no way to reset the file permissions from the web ui.  

Have you checked the file ownership and group ownership of the problem files/folders?

You might also want to check with getfacl.

FWIW, while the home folders certainly have value for enterprises, I've found them to be more trouble than they are worth for home users.  Personally I disable all file protocols for home, which disables the feature.

Message 3 of 4
Sly_Raskal
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

This can be a bit tricky with home folders, because there is no way to reset the file permissions from the web ui.  

Have you checked the file ownership and group ownership of the problem files/folders?

You might also want to check with getfacl.

FWIW, while the home folders certainly have value for enterprises, I've found them to be more trouble than they are worth for home users.  Personally I disable all file protocols for home, which disables the feature.

Thank you for the reply.  I checked the user and group ownership multiple times and nothing appeared out of the ordinary. Also, since I have the ability to duplicate non-working folders at the root of my home folder and turn them into a working folder, I did so and then compared the user and group permissions and they were still the same between the working and non-working folders.  I also used the `getfacl` command to check settings between a working and non-working folder and they were the same too.

I also found another user describing the same issue I am experiencing after upgrading the firmware in a different readynas device: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/6-5-0-RN104-smb-home-folders-cloud-...

I have upgraded ReadyNAS OS after I changed my account name, so this has me wondering if the issue was due to a ReadyNAS OS upgrade and not the account rename.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements