× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to backup desktop drive now that readycloud is gone?

tigerten
Luminary

How to backup desktop drive now that readycloud is gone?

Does any know of a way to back up desktop drive using Rsync or similar?
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Rsync is more of a linux utility.

One option you might look at is FreeFileSync.

It would let you do incremental backups of the PC files to the NAS - either manually or on a schedule.  It can even wake up the PC to do the backup if you want.

Microsoft has a built-in utility called robocopy that you could also use.  But it requires using the command line - so you'd either create a script for it if you go that route, or find a GUI that uses it.

Message 2 of 12
tigerten
Luminary

Thanks @StephenB Steph as always. the forum is so fortunate to have you and @Sandshark keeing the legend going

Will give that a try. 

There is cwRsync server which was discontinued and can still be found. Not sure How i can turn my PC into a Rsync server and back it up to Readynas. 

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@tigerten wrote:

There is cwRsync server which was discontinued and can still be found. Not sure How i can turn my PC into a Rsync server and back it up to Readynas. 

What you'd want is the PC to be an rsync client (since the NAS is the destination).   

Personally I use Acronis TrueImage to make image backups of my PCs weekly to the NAS.  That allows me to completely recover the PC (data and OS) if needed.  That's not free though.

I also have some robocopy scripts that I run on some PCs.  

Message 4 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

While I also use Acronis, I no longer recommend it to new users.  The reasons are two-fold:  It is now only available as a (high-priced, IMHO) subscription and the newest file format (which can be overridden with some "background" manipulation, but not in a straightforward way) is clearly intended to steer people to Acronis' own (also overpriced, IMHO) network storage.  Storage solutions that are not "aware" of Acronis' method of tacking on changes to an existing file instead of creating separate incremental files as it used to can waste a lot of time and space because they see the entire file as new.  It's been a while since I looked for alternatives, but the free version of AOMEI Backupper seemed to be a pretty good alternative when I did.  A lot depends on whether you are looking for image backup (to restore after a hard drive crash, or even to a new computer) or file backup.  Like Acronis, AOMEI can do both.

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

It is now only available as a (high-priced, IMHO) subscription and the newest file format (which can be overridden with some "background" manipulation, but not in a straightforward way) is clearly intended to steer people to Acronis' own (also overpriced, IMHO) network storage. 

FWIW, I am still using the old software.  Likely I will look at switching on new PCs, though I'd like to stick with image backups.

Message 6 of 12
tigerten
Luminary

I wanted a solution where I can sync my PC hard drive or folder with a readynas share, ideally  two-way sync. 

I also would like to operate this within the readynas backup tab, instead of from the PC. Does this sound like I need the PC to be a Rsync server?

I do not need to image my PC boot drive. 

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I guess you could try this:

@tigerten wrote:

I wanted a solution where I can sync my PC hard drive or folder with a readynas share, ideally  two-way sync. 

Rsync can't do two-way sync, it only does one-way sync.  

@tigerten wrote:

Does this sound like I need the PC to be a Rsync server?

From what you said before, I concluded you wanted to backup up the PC to the NAS, not the other way around.  Did I get this wrong?

@tigerten wrote:

I also would like to operate this within the readynas backup tab, instead of from the PC.

One challenge here is how to handle the case when the PC isn't running.  PC backup tools can power up the pc on a schedule, and then back it up to the NAS.  

The NAS does have an option to use wake-on-lan before the backup starts, but I don't think the ReadyNAS implementation of WoL will work for wifi-connected PCs. Though I haven't tried to test that.

Message 8 of 12
tigerten
Luminary

Thanks. I think I have the idea now. 

yes, I am trying to backup PC to Readynas. 

Good to know Rsync does not do two-way sync. 

I think FreeFileSync might be the solution. 

thanks a lot

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@tigerten wrote:

Good to know Rsync does not do two-way sync. 

I think one-way sync is better for backup.  I don't update any files on my backups other than through the backup jobs, so there is no need to copy NAS->PC unless there is something I need to restore.  Two-way sync can be a bit tricky, there can be conflicts that you need to resolve manually.  Plus if something goes wrong with the NAS, I don't want the PC to sync to it.

Either way, I suggest setting up custom snapshots on the NAS shares that you use for this.  That will give some retention/rollback capability.  Most of my shares (including the ones on my backup NAS) are configured for 3 months retention, and only make snapshots when there are changes to the share.  That keeps the disk overhead for the snapshots well controlled (you can tune the retention to balance reasonable roll-back with disk overhead).

Message 10 of 12
tigerten
Luminary

Thanks @StephenB 

Your suggestion of not using two-way back makes perfect sense. All points and suggestions are taken with thanks. 

R

Message 11 of 12
Loic44600
Luminary

Hello @tigerten from France

Personally, I use Resilio since one year.

Between ReadyNas 426 424 422 316 and 312, Windows and Android

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Des-applications-et-Add-on/Synchroniser-simplement-vos-Ready-NAS/m-...

More informations https://www.resilio.com/individuals/

Very good ReadyNas application 😉

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements