× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to recover my password of "admin" for RN426

Johnny_bao
Aspirant

How to recover my password of "admin" for RN426

Hi guys,

I've lost my password of admin for RN426 (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/admin)

and the site says "Sorry, password recovery has not been st on this device. Due to security reasons, password recovery is not available" when i want to recovery it.

Please help me to sovle this problem.

thanks.

Model: RN426|ReadyNAS 426 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 6-Bays
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: How to recover my password of "admin" for RN426

An OS Reinstall will reset the password to admin

It also will reset the network configuration to use DHCP with no bonding, and it will disable volume quota (which can be reset via the setting wheel on the volume page of the web ui).

Instructions are on page 105-106 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

FWIW, You might consider taping the admin password (or perhaps a hint) on the inside of the door of the NAS.  There isn't much added security risk, since anyone who has physical access to the NAS can reset the admin password using the method above.

Message 2 of 5
Johnny_bao
Aspirant

thanks a lot.

Message 3 of 5
Johnny_bao
Aspirant

I've reinstall os for resetting password. but I found my storage had been reset too. and the data has been lost.....

Message 4 of 5
mdgm
Virtuoso

Only a factory reset would wipe the data volume. Unless you chose that option by mistake most likely your data volume is offline.

For example perhaps your disks have become loose (e.g. when moving the unit to try to use the boot menu) and with no disks detected it booted into Safe Mode (safe mode is a new feature in recent firmware and has default admin credentials)

You may wish to power down and check the disks are properly inserted.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements