× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I made a folder on /data using the command line shell. How can I make it show up in the Shares list?

old_newbie
Aspirant

I made a folder on /data using the command line shell. How can I make it show up in the Shares list?

So I logged into my ReadyNAS314 via ssh, went to /data and made a new directory.

It works fine, but doesn't appear in the list of shares on the web gui. Is there a way to refresh that list, or is that folder invisible to the web interface?

Thanks for any assistance.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: I made a folder on /data using the command line shell. How can I make it show up in the Shares l

Make a new share with a different name, and move the data into it.  Then delete the old folder, and rename the share.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: I made a folder on /data using the command line shell. How can I make it show up in the Shares l

@old_newbie wrote:

It works fine, but doesn't appear in the list of shares on the web gui. Is there a way to refresh that list, or is that folder invisible to the web interface?

It is invisible. The web UI creates a share as a btrfs subvolume, which you probably did not do. There are other set-up aspects that need the UI as well.

Why didn't you use the web ui?

Message 2 of 6
old_newbie
Aspirant

Not using the UI was just lack of experience. But now I have lots of data in that folder that I'd like to keep.

What if I made a new share through the UI, and rename my folder to match the name of that share?

Or make a new share, and copy everything over?

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Make a new share with a different name, and move the data into it.  Then delete the old folder, and rename the share.

Message 4 of 6
old_newbie
Aspirant

If I make a share from the UI, and use the ssh shell to put data into it, will that data be recognized/snapshotted/etc by the UI?

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@old_newbie wrote:

If I make a share from the UI, and use the ssh shell to put data into it, will that data be recognized/snapshotted/etc by the UI?

Yes.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements