× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Importing EXPORTed volumes for Readynas 516s with OS 6.5.1

jpass022
Luminary

Importing EXPORTed volumes for Readynas 516s with OS 6.5.1

Looking for help on Importing my EXPORTed volumes? I've tried all the suggestions I've read about on here. I even looked in the manual and found nothing... The only thing I haven't tried is reinstall OS, is that something I can do myself from the boot menu or do I need support to do it for me because they have more tricks than the standard way? I exported the volumes for two identical 516s so I could swap all the hard drives between them. The volume on one was empty and the other has years of data. Both volumes are set up as x-raid raid 6 with one volume that spans all six drives... Maybe this feature needs to be disabled if it is so unreliable and not important enough to be well documented.. This easy solution for my situation has turned in to a very bad one... All help appreciated...

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
jpass022
Luminary

Re: Importing EXPORTed volumes for Readynas 516s with OS 6.5.1

Called Netgear support to do my "Cold Import" on my "Export"ed volume. Only took them lees than 30 seconds to tweak whatever setting to fix. It didn't involve reinstalling the OS as someone else had alluded to. I asked the person to explain what he did, but they only told me that it wasn't a straightforward fix and left it at that. So sorry I can't share how to fix this problem if anyone else ever gets in this similar predicament... I recommend not using the export feature until someone at Netgear decides to expalin it better than just the pop-up when you click on the EXPORT feature....

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
jpass022
Luminary

Well I tried reinstalling the OS from the boot menu and it had no effect on the state of the Volume. So apparently tech support does more than just reinstall the OS to fix the problem per another post on here...

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay
Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

You shouldn't have exported the volumes.  All you needed to do was power down both systems and swap the drives.

Did you purchase between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016?  If so, you have lifetime chat support - I suggest that you use it.

Message 3 of 8
jpass022
Luminary

Thanks, for the advice, but not helpful at this point, I need going forward options??? I purchased in April 2013....

Hopefully someone will have the answer here? I see it will cost me $380 just to talk to somone....

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Per-incident support is around $75 in the US, not $380.  My only advice is to use support.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/how-can-I-bring-back-exported-disk/td-p/1015184 was a similar issue.

Message 5 of 8
jpass022
Luminary

StephenB,

Thanks for ths information. I couldn't find the per incident rate? Only the $380 per year rate...

I tried all the ideas in that post... Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@jpass022 wrote:

Thanks for ths information. I couldn't find the per incident rate? Only the $380 per year rate...

You'll need to call and ask.

Message 7 of 8
jpass022
Luminary

Called Netgear support to do my "Cold Import" on my "Export"ed volume. Only took them lees than 30 seconds to tweak whatever setting to fix. It didn't involve reinstalling the OS as someone else had alluded to. I asked the person to explain what he did, but they only told me that it wasn't a straightforward fix and left it at that. So sorry I can't share how to fix this problem if anyone else ever gets in this similar predicament... I recommend not using the export feature until someone at Netgear decides to expalin it better than just the pop-up when you click on the EXPORT feature....

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements