× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Leave ReadyNAS, possible replacements?

Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Leave ReadyNAS, possible replacements?

Given that Netgear appears to be abandoning this product line, and given that even @WhoCares  is giving up on it, I am going to consider alternative solutions to replace my aging 524X.  I hope to hear ideas from the user community about alternative solutions now in 2023+.  

There are obvious solutions such as switch to QNAP or Synology of course.  There are also probably many solutions using one of the open source NAS solutions, but as I understand it will require me to obtain some kind of mini PC to run those on?

What has become more and more difficult over time with my ReadyNAS has been using a few addons such as Plex and Medusa.  Eventually I had to move Medusa to a mac or pc at home.  I'd much rather have one box that has the raid, runs the software and handles the basic file server needs, and hosting typical stuff like Plex and Medusa..without concerns of the fact that Netgear is not keeping the OS up with the times.

Any suggestions welcome

Message 1 of 12
eton
Luminary

ReadyNAS is a basically compact PC. You can run whatever you like on it. The trick is to reach the video output and config BIOS to boot from an external device (often an USB stick). Or via serial, telnet, reach the internal flash, etc.

What you choose depends on your needs and how powerful your machine is.

The most popular choices for a replacement OS are:

• OpenMediaVault
  • unRAID
  • TrueNAS
  • Xpenology
  • Standard Debian

RN524 looks like a good candidate for a new OS:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rn524x#docs

Message 2 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@eton wrote:

The trick is to reach the video output 

The RN51x and RN31x NAS have hdmi video out, but other models (like the RN524) do not.  So this part could be difficult.

Message 3 of 12
eton
Luminary

Since Netgear has abandoned their storage products. They should take responsibility for their products and customers and write detailed guides how to access the hardware and boot up third party OS on each NAS model.

Preferable release of technical documents of the hardware. And also release all versions of ReadyNAS OS (and RAIDiator) as open source on Github or Gitlab.

Message 4 of 12
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Sure would be nice if they open sourced OS6 but I really doubt they will.

No doubt that if I am going to be able to run an alternative solution it will have to be something that can be run headless, like readynas os can.

I’m not too hopefully about trying to repurpose this hardware with a different OS unless someone like @WhoCares figures it all out. Far more likely I will just use it as is for as long as I can in some capacity a few more years and then buy something new but I’m not sure what right now.
Message 5 of 12
eton
Luminary

According to @mdgm every ReadyNAS has a serial console port. So if your device doesn’t have HDMI, you will need to figure out how to connect to the serial interface.
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@eton wrote:
According to @mdgm every ReadyNAS has a serial console port. So if your device doesn’t have HDMI, you will need to figure out how to connect to the serial interface.

I think you are assuming that the ReadyNAS allows the bios to be configured through the serial port.

Message 7 of 12
tony359
Apprentice

Hi,

I'd like to test an alternative OS following some severe issues my Pro6 is having with OS6. Likely a HW fault but I want to explore the "OS bug" path.

My NAS has an intel 6600 and 8GB of RAM. I only use the NAS as file storage. I also run iDrive and I see it's not available for anything but the main brands. It's available for linux though? But I can find an alternative, that's not a deal breaker.

I am thinking of openmediavault - I looked into TrueNAS and it's got silly HW requirements. 

Would anybody recommend anything else for my NAS? Would openmediavault support RAID expansion so I don't have to reset my whole RAID if and when I add or upgrade a drive?

Any indication on how to install using the internal USB storage? I can use an external one but if I could re-use the internal one, that would be great. 

I do have VGA output if necessary.

Thank you!

Message 8 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

I think OpenMediaVault is a good choice.  That it's also Debian based gives you a leg up on the learning curve.  I think it also supports BTRFS (it's been a while since I looked at it).  I'll likely switch to it if I abandon ReadyNAS OS.  Doing the switch on our existing hardware is a lot easier for those of us with ReadyNAS that have, or can have installed, a monitor port.

Message 9 of 12
tony359
Apprentice

Thank you. I ordered a small but fast (given it's USB 2.0!) USB stick to use as a boot device.

I'll install, test and report back 🙂

Do you think iDrive - which has a Linux version available - could be installed?

Message 10 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

iDrive just uses Pearl scripts, not compiled executables, it ought to be able to be used on any Linux system.

Message 11 of 12
tony359
Apprentice

That’s great thanks.

I’ll test it next week. That will tell me 100% if I have a HW issue.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements