× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Memory for ReadyNasPro; rndp4000

ITwannabe
Aspirant

Memory for ReadyNasPro; rndp4000

To all

I was able to upgrade the OS recently. Thank you to all. Along the way I thought memory can be updated to 2 gig. What is the max memory that can be used for ReadyNasPro; rndp4000?

Thanks again to all !!!

Message 1 of 5
bedlam1
Prodigy

I have 4GB happily installed in my Pro4

Message 2 of 5
ITwannabe
Aspirant

To all

I updated the ram to 4 gig without problem. I looked at the OS (6.10.3) and have not found where the NAS tells me the memory size found. Not sure if the OS can address 4 gig, just curious.

If the OS can only address 2 gig then I can reduce the size of the memory stick. I did not have to buy memory since I have both size memory sticks (2 and 4 gig).

Thank you again.

PS...Look for post on APP usage. I see Plex media server and am wondering if I can use instead of ITunes to listen to music?

Message 3 of 5
bedlam1
Prodigy

Install Linux-Dash from the Apps page, it will show you Memory Installed, Used and Free and a whole lot more

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@ITwannabe wrote:

I updated the ram to 4 gig without problem. I looked at the OS (6.10.3) and have not found where the NAS tells me the memory size found. Not sure if the OS can address 4 gig, just curious.

OS 6 certainly can handle more than 4 GB.  My own Pro-6 is still running 4.2.31, and it has 8 GB of ram installed.  So you should be using all 4 GB.

If you have ssh enabled (and there's no reason why you shouldn't), then you can confirm the memory by entering 

# cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i memtotal

Or as @bedlam1 suggests, install linux-dash.

@ITwannabe wrote:

I see Plex media server and am wondering if I can use instead of ITunes to listen to music?

You certainly can (and I do).  You can run the Plex Server on either your PC and the NAS (or both).  You can also use the DLNA service in the NAS (which is basic, but takes fewer resources than Plex). 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements