× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Missing over 4TB on my ReadyNAS 316

KaizerSose
Aspirant

Missing over 4TB on my ReadyNAS 316

ReadyNAS 316

Firmware - 6.9.5 (current as of this post)

Snapshots have been disabled

I am missing over 4TB of storage space and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out where it went.  I have five 3TB disks in RAID5 for a total capacity of around 13.6TB.  ReadyNAS reports that I have consumed 12.1 TB but when I manually calculate the total file sizes I only get slightly over 7TB.  It seems that, over the years, whenever I've deleted something through Windows, it doesn't actually get deleted.

I've poured through various forums and I know that oftentimes lost space is sue to snapshots.  I have manually gone in and deleted all of the snapshots and I've since disabled snapshots.  As far as I can tell, through the GUI and via SSH, there are no snapshots.  And while I am computer/network savvy, I'm not Linux expert so my skills via SSH and command line aren't the best.

So to summarize, I have my ReadyNAS mapped as a Windows drive using SMB.  It seems that whenever I delete something in Windows it's not actually getting deleted.  I have not been able to find any hidden folders (I've gone into Windows Control Panel- into Folder options and I am NOT hiding known file extensions OR system/hidden files).  I am able to highlight all of my data and get info on it, which returns about 7TB.  When I look at consumed storage via command line using 'du' or something similar, or when I look at consumed storage through the ReadyNAS GUI, it says I'm using over 12TB 😞

I hope someone can help!  I'm going crazy trying to figure out where my 4+ TB have gone!

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Model: RN31663D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x3TB Desktop Drive
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Missing over 4TB on my ReadyNAS 316

@KaizerSose wrote:

I have five 3TB disks in RAID5 for a total capacity of around 13.6TB. 

With 5 disks, the raw disk capacity is 15 TB (13.6 TiB)  The volume size is 12 TB (shown by the Web UI as 10.9 TiB).  Did you really mean 6 disks?

Do you know about how old your data volume is?

Do you have volume quota enabled on the NAS?  If not, try enabling that.  Then you can compare the space shown in the web ui for each share with the amount you've seeing in Windows.

Also I suggest downloading the full log zip file from the log page in the web ui.  You can double-check snapshots by looking in snapper.log

You might also want to run a balance (which you do from the volume settings wheel on the volume page).

Message 2 of 3
KaizerSose
Aspirant

Re: Missing over 4TB on my ReadyNAS 316

Stephen,

Wow, good catch my friend, I did indeed mean six disks, not five.  Thank you for your quick reply!

The data volume is probably three years old, give or take a few months in either direction.

I do not have quotas enabled, but that is a good suggestion.  I am going to go enable them now.

Thanks for the full log tip, going to go check that out too.

I ran a defrag the other night, took I think around 10 hours to complete but did free up about 200GB.  I haven't run a balance yet, but now that you've suggested it, I'm going to go do it.

Again, genuinely appreciate your feedback and suggestions!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements