× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mounting a drive without a tray help

rcolman
Aspirant

Mounting a drive without a tray help

I cant find a replacement disk tray anywhere in the known universe. It also seems impossible to actually reach Netgear support.

So, I tried plugging in a fourth drive using spacers and screws, etc. and seemed to have a good connection. 

When the NAS booted, all four drive lights were shown in the box. Then, when the firmware actually started booting up,

the number 4 light went out and no connection.

I am not sure what is happening. Can I jury-rig something.  What a mess !!

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 6
NXIXN
Apprentice

Re: Mounting a drive without a tray help

Hi Rcolman,

I see a post link below, that you can purchase a disk tray:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Hardware-Compatibility/Need-a-replacement-Disk-Tray/td-p/1...

I would highly recommend not to tweak or jig your unit with alternatives other than a complete compatible disk tray from NETGEAR as it will eventually damage your disk due to disk spin vibrations.

Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@NXIXN wrote:

I see a post link below, that you can purchase a disk tray:

Well, maybe the legacy RNDTRAY-10000S (likely used).  Not ideal, but it will fit, so that is an option.  

If you are the original purchaser, you can try support (the hardware warranty might cover it, and if not they still might be able to find a source for the new trays)

Message 3 of 6
rcolman
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to respond. However, I am not concerned about vibration, etc. That is easily solved.

What bothers me is taking a new, unitialized drive (WD 3TB NASware 3.0) - plugging it into the NAS - seeing it on the drive lights during bootup - then it disappears when the firmware loads - not visible in RAIDAR.

This the fourth drive, thank you.

I can't see any electrical or mechanical connections withing the disk tray ... SO why is this happening?

trouble ahead - better off dead 

Message 4 of 6
rcolman
Aspirant

Good luck getting anybody in support ... the phone just rings ...

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@rcolman wrote:

I can't see any electrical or mechanical connections withing the disk tray ... SO why is this happening?

Of course there are no electrical connections, but the tray does keep the sata/power connections in the drive well-aligned, with no weight from the drive stressing them.

Likely w/o the tray, your drive power/SATA connections are flakey.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements