× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving from single redundancy to dual - RNDU6000

patdman81
Tutor

Moving from single redundancy to dual - RNDU6000

I am runnning a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 (RNDU6000) on OS v6.10.7

I have 5x 8TB disks in the bays and it's currently setup as X-RAID/RAID 5.

If I want to add a 6th disk as dual redundancy, how do I best achieve this?

I recall reading about changing to Flex-RAID first and then adding a final disk and choosing how it's used.

Is this correct?

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Moving from single redundancy to dual - RNDU6000

@patdman81 wrote:

If I want to add a 6th disk as dual redundancy, how do I best achieve this?

I recall reading about changing to Flex-RAID first and then adding a final disk and choosing how it's used.

Is this correct?

Yes.  You will need to ensure that this disk is as large as the biggest one in the array (and there need to be 3 disks already in the array of that size).

After adding the new disk for redundancy, you should be able to switch back to X-RAID if you like.

Once you are using RAID-5, future expansion will require upgrading 4 of the disks to the new larger size.

Message 2 of 4
patdman81
Tutor

Sounds good, thanks Stephen.

If I want to enlarge my storage in the future, are you saying that I would need to upgrade at least 4 of the disks?

I'm ok with that, but in that case, what would the steps be?

e.g. If I move from 8TB drives to 16TB drives in the future, would I swap out one at a time and after each swap, let the re-sync happen, getting my extra storage after the 4th 16TB has been swapped in?

You are indeed the forum guru, thanks for answering all my questions!

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@patdman81 wrote:

e.g. If I move from 8TB drives to 16TB drives in the future, would I swap out one at a time and after each swap, let the re-sync happen, getting my extra storage after the 4th 16TB has been swapped in?

Exactly. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements