× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My ReadyNAS Story . . .

Chris_Boston
Aspirant

My ReadyNAS Story . . .

Day 1...

After a month going back and forth between manufacturers, and then finally between the Pro 2, 4, and 6, I order the 6 from Amazon on Tuesday along with two Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s ST2000DL003 drives. They arrived today and were quite easy to setup.

As per forum suggestions, I installed one drive, updated to the latest firmware, then inserted the other drive and did a factory reset. I configured a RAID 1 mirror. I have to admit I did the drive 2 insert while it was running - this is the only device I've owned that does hot swapping so I couldn't resist 🙂

The drives are accessible but are syncing as I type this. I've installed the SSH addin and plex and copied up the only movies I own that I've ripped: Hot Fizz and the original Prisoner series.

I've used a 3rd party DLNA client as well as the plex client from my iPhone and both are amazingly fast. Watched 20 minutes of Hot Fuzz and no buffering, skipping, sound not in sync, etc. I'm impressed. Looking forward to seeing it in action on some blurays and how it'll work over the net.

Observations:

The admin interface and raidar are a little weak - looks like interfaces from home routers of 10 years ago --- needs a face lift!

Plex, while not a netgear issue, thinks The Prisinor is Bones. I'm not surprised it's a little confused on a 50 or so year show.

The fan was wicked loud on boot - I started thinking return almost immediately since my office is near 3 bedrooms, but it does quiet to a near whisper rather quickly.

Thanks everyone for their help up through this point, I'm looking forward to keeping the good updates coming!
Message 1 of 20
Chris_Boston
Aspirant

Re: My ReadyNAS Story . . .

Day 3 ...

Got to spend the weekend just toying around. I did another factory reset because I liked the benefits I read of X-Raid over me just manually configuring Raid 1. I installed the Transmission plugin and downloaded Project Gutenberg and Ubuntu just to see how it worked. I played more with Plex and signed up for MyPlex. I've streamed Rise of the Silver Surfer over 3G (AT&T) and after about a minute or so of it playing catch up, it worked beautifully. Still pretty happy with the decision, I'll hold off putting my production (home) data on there until I get a good backup solution working, however - I'm leaning towards S3 w/ JungleDisk because I don't think I can beat $0.125/GB and I'm already familiar with S3 and happy with the security.
Message 2 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's the suffix on the drive model and what firmware version is on the drives. You can check under Status > Health in Frontview and clicking on the SMART+ button. Depending on which one you have there may be a drive firmware update available shortly which you should install.

There is a new UI in development. No ETA on it coming to x86 though. You can however see it in the Duo/NV+ v2 manuals: http://www.readynas.com/docs
Message 3 of 20
Chris_Boston
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
What's the suffix on the drive model and what firmware version is on the drives. You can check under Status > Health in Frontview and clicking on the SMART+ button. Depending on which one you have there may be a drive firmware update available shortly which you should install.

Yeah, I followed that drama over in the other thread - I'm hoping for the best, I have a friend running these drives for a few months without issue. Both drives are: ST2000DL003-9VT166 with FW: CC45.

mdgm wrote:
There is a new UI in development. No ETA on it coming to x86 though. You can however see it in the Duo/NV+ v2 manuals: http://www.readynas.com/docs

Wow, much better! Looking forward to that update.
Message 4 of 20
Chris_Boston
Aspirant

One Week In . . .

I promise this isn't going to be a regular thing, just an excited NAS-Newbie :wiggle:

The unit froze on me, which I wasn't too excited about one week in, but I have been throwing at a lot at it. Long Story: Three or so days ago I walked over to it and hit the power button so that the little display would pop up and tell me how much of my 1.8 GB was in use and nothing happened. So I pushed it again (expecting the "Press Pwr again ..." msg), but nothing. Fan was running normal speed, not oddly hot, no weird noises, just nothing coming up on the display. I hit the backup button - I have no idea why - and obviously nothing happened their either. Went over to my laptop and pinged it (by IP), no response - also no connection over https or ssh. I gave it 4-5 hours or so and still nothing so I hit the power switch. Thankfully it came right back online and did a resync. I checked the health screen and everything was on the up and up. Looked in the logs and it didn't note anything bad happening... however it did throw the message about how to setup the backup job from about the time I hit the button. So, it seems the OS continue to run it just wasn't on the network? I wonder if I pulled the cable and put it back if it would have reconnected - who knows.

For future reference, since it does appear that it continued to run, is there a "soft reset" - something that just makes the OS reboot?

Other than that, Plex has been great. I got all my movies finally copied over and I've watched a couple on my mobile just because I could. I put my MP3s up there, too, and since I buy almost all of mine from Amazon, they're all DRM free and play without any issue, even over 3G from work. That said, I don't really like Plex as a music interface, so I'll probably just stick with keeping them local and in the Amazon Cloud. I've started to move my pictures over into Plex, too, and like the music, not a perfect interface, but not terrible either. I keep recent photos on my phone itself so I can share, so I'll probably continue keeping recent stuff local and the rest up on the NAS for somewhat easy access.

Finally, I implemented tarsnap as a backup solution. I even documented it here as a thank you to everyone who has helped along the way with my decision to purchase the ReadyNAS and help getting it setup. I'm a developer and ex-linux-wannabe-geek by hobby, so I'm thinking of trying my hand at making an addon for this if someone doesn't beat me to it and it's OK with the service provider. For things that aren't private, I let tarsnap just encrypt the data and upload to S3 since they seem to have a strong handle on encryption (at least of what I know about it). For financial documents, tax returns, etc., I store them in a TrueCrypt volume that I then upload, for that little bit of extra protection.
Message 5 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What version of RAIDiator is on your unit? The network connection has been known to hang on some old firmware.
Message 6 of 20
Chris_Boston
Aspirant

My ReadyNAS Story . . .

Latest and greatest, first thing I did last week was update the firmware.
Message 7 of 20
pcourtney1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:

the Dashboard "Home Screen" on page 13 looks good, any ETA on this do you know ??
Message 8 of 20
pcourtney1
Aspirant

Chris-Boston wrote:
Latest and greatest, first thing I did last week was update the firmware.

Hi Chris,
thanks to your posts, I am embarking on a very similar path, I've just bought a new ReadyNAS Pro 2 ( the 5 year warranty swung it for me) and I inserted 2 x 3TB drives which will be configured with X-Raid2, I am going to place it out of the way, as I have Cat6 all over the house, so I don't have to worry about the fans.

the first thing for me is getting Squeezebox up and running on the Pro, I have six Squeezebox Duets around the house, the Pro 2 is my replacement for a very old ReadNAS 1000 ( Sparc rackmount with 4 drives) , once I have the music library singing I need to turn my attention to Plex for video playback to a Samsung LCD ( which I have not bought yet, but I have heard they play nicely with DLNA and Plex ) . It would be nice to eventually upgrade all the TV's in the house to Samsung, so I can move from room to room and still watch the video without too much interruption.

the backup software, I'm going to try the Acronis 10 ( 90 day trial ) and see how that goes before I make my mind up on that one, I don't need tarsnap, just something local, as all my important stuff is also copied to my laptop, to a 1TB USB drive at work, and another in the car, to lose all 3 copies would be really unlucky, plus now I will have a 4th copy on the Pro 2 🙂

cheers
Peter
Message 9 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Chris have you opened a support case about your issue? If not you may wish to do so.

Peter when I said no ETA that's what I meant.
Message 10 of 20
Chris_Boston
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Chris have you opened a support case about your issue? If not you may wish to do so.

I haven't - in as much as I should, as a previous life Tech Support guy I hate both sides of this conversation: "So, uh - about a week ago it froze. I had to reboot it. Now everything is fine" . . . I know, I know - it's good for me to document it just in case something were to happen, and it's good for them to know there was a freeze for tracking issues over versions, but there's a mix of me not thinking it's a big enough deal and me being lazy 😃
Message 11 of 20
Chris_Boston
Aspirant

pcourtney1 wrote:
thanks to your posts, I am embarking on a very similar path, I've just bought a new ReadyNAS Pro 2 ( the 5 year warranty swung it for me) and I inserted 2 x 3TB drives which will be configured with X-Raid2, I am going to place it out of the way, as I have Cat6 all over the house, so I don't have to worry about the fans.

Awesome! I'm glad I helped convince you. I'm less than two weeks in now, but so far the ReadyNas Pro is stellar. Looks like you had an old ReadyNAS so you're in the family well before I ever was 🙂

pcourtney1 wrote:
the first thing for me is getting Squeezebox up and running on the Pro, I have six Squeezebox Duets around the house

You know, I've been seeing Squeezebox pop up more and more lately and I haven't looked into what it is at all, I may have to do some research.

pcourtney1 wrote:
It would be nice to eventually upgrade all the TV's in the house to Samsung, so I can move from room to room and still watch the video without too much interruption.

Only 1 of my 3 Samsung TVs support DLNA but it seems to work pretty well. I upgraded to a Wireless-N router at the same time but I'm not sure if that helps at all or not or if my old G would have been fine.

pcourtney1 wrote:
I'm going to try the Acronis 10 ( 90 day trial ) and see how that goes before I make my mind up on that one

Post back and let us know how Acronis goes - I backup my stuff elsewhere, too, but I like having it on S3 so that it's slightly more professionally managed and I don't have to worry as much about a disaster during those times when all of my data is in one place.
Message 12 of 20
gibxxi
Guide

Chris, you may want to check out Super-Poussin's Subsonic add-on for music streaming. Some people have been having issues with it staying up with the latest version, but mine has been solid as a rock. For reference i have about 10,000 tracks indexed with it. There are several apps for iPhone / iPad for use with a Subsonic server, and it can be made to accept https:// connections. The App i use is a paid-for app called iSub, there are others, but this one has the most favourable reviews.

Enjoyed reading your ReadyNAS Diaries though, thanks for sharing.
Message 13 of 20
gibxxi
Guide

I'm also using Acronis Backup to backup my main PC to the NAS. I've found that Acronis sometimes has issues deleting split volumes when a single-version chain is selected, meaning it will create new backups and fail to delete the old ones after a period of time. Saving each backup as a single file (without splitting) so far has not exhibited this issue. Not tried restoring from a backup yet, but the backups all validate fine, so am placing my faith in them.

All NAS files (but excluding the Acronis backup) are backed up from the NAS to an auxillary drive on the host PC. The Acronis backup doesn't contain any userdata, as I store all personal files directly to the NAS. Acronis is mainly being used to save an image of the main PC from which I can quickly restore if things go screwy. Loss of this backup isn't a major issue as I would simply reinstall from the CD and use the drivers / software on the NAS (or auxillary HDD) to re-install from. Having it just saves me a lot of time.
Message 14 of 20
PapaBear1
Guide

gibxxi - you might try using your Acronis to clone your system drive of your PC. I do that, and you have an immediate check as to whether it works or not, simply use the cloned drive to boot your PC. If it works you know you have a good backup. Many times, I will leave the cloned drive in the system and remove the source to place in a cabinet. (BTW, if you run Acronis from the CD rather than install it, it will clone anything, even Linux. It will only install on Windows though.) Since the system drive doesn't change that much, only when you add a program to the PC, you don't need to back it up all that often. I never store data on my system drives, not even on my laptop (it is a 17" with two drives).

All my data is on a ReadyNAS so it can be accessed by any PC in the house. It backs up nightly to a second ReadyNAS. Took me a while to be in a position to have two, but I am glad I did.
Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

I do something more like gibxxi - I use Acronis to create backup images of my system drive(s) on my Pro-6. This is automated, and done weekly for each PC, so they are always reasonably current. From there they migrate to the backup ReadyNAS and to the Crashplan cloud server (like everything else on the Pro).

I haven't run into his delete problem, but I don't split the volumes either - the full backup image is to one file, then I do 7 incremental backups in the cycle. After that, I repeat with a new full backup.
Message 16 of 20
gibxxi
Guide

The problem with Acronis not deleting old versions was in the 2011 version of the software I was using, and since Upgrading to the 2012 version, i switched to using a single file. So I can't really say if it's been fixed in the software or not. It would run ok for a few weeks, then after about the 3rd iteration it would stop deleting the old versions. I used a single version chain because of the factors Papabear already mentioned. i.e: It being mainly OS / program data I was backing up. I am making full images of the main system drive partition, but also of my games / multimedia encoding drive too. Both are saved to the same image file. I could, and probably should split these up into seperate backup jobs, having an image for each drive, but being the lazy sod I am, i just did it the quickest way I could to get the task done.

The reason i'm not recopying the backup from Acronis (that saves to a dedicated share on the NAS) back to the auxillary drive is down to space. I want to keep the maximum amount of space available for data from the remaining shares on the NAS, since the auxillary is 3TB, and the NAS has 5.4TB of space. Like I said, if I lose the Acronis data (in the event the main PC goes down, and the NAS), it's not a major deal. Only the loss of data from the other shares on the NAS would be a major deal.

I'd much like another NAS, but space, networking, layout of the flat where I live, price, and availability of a power source (as i've mentioned before) prevent it at the moment. In hindsight, giving away my trusty old Duo was a bit kneejerk. I wish i'd kept it now for just such a purpose. But the guy I gave it to, has just had one of his pc's drives fail on him, and having the NAS has stopped him losing 750GB of data, so i'm glad it helped someone. 🙂
Message 17 of 20
Chris_Boston
Aspirant

Sadly, my excitement originally expressed is long gone. The unit didn't last longer than about 30 days before it started hanging. For about 6 weeks I'd have to bounce it daily, let it resync the disks, and it'd be fine. The issue occurring would be that the device wouldn't respond to any network request, and when I went to it and hit POWER, nothing would happen - the display would remain blank (instead of the normal warning that if I hit it again, the unit would power down).

Now I just keep it powered it off and only turn it on if there's some file I need on it. I've moved back most of the non-media data to the laptops hanging around the house, and I'm sure I've lost some wife acceptance factor for future gizmos I want to spend my money on.
Message 18 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Make an online submission to NetGear support. Download your logs (status > Logs > download all logs) and attach them to your online case. Also post your case number (maybe in a new thread)? Do try to mention to support a time when the NAS hung as many of the logs are timestamped so that would help them to identify the problem.
Message 19 of 20
PapaBear1
Guide

I will certainly agree that you should open a ticket. I wish you had posted this several months back, for at that time you could certainly use the phone support (free for first 90 days after purchase), however you still get free on line support. When I saw your first post about the freezing, my first thought was that you had possibly enabled disk spin down, for there is a delay while the drives spin up, but no resync takes place in that situation.

If you don't have any data at risk, it would be interesting, if you had some spare drives, to see if the Pro 6 reacts the same way with drives other than those Seagate drives. From the drama, as you described it, it seems to be similar to the reaction they were seeing.
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements