× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NV+ Died - SAVE Info On Disks

holsen1
Aspirant

NV+ Died - SAVE Info On Disks

About a year ago, I replace the power supply on my NV+ RND 4000 - Today I notice the Nas and my mapped drives were offline.  Looking  at the display panel, the light was dim and it showed me the used/available space but it seemed to be frozen.  Pressing the power button long or short proved the unit unresponsive so I pulled the plug, let it rest and reinserted the plug.   Nothing.  Dead, Unresponsive.   OK the NV+ is an old unit but I've 4 x 2TB disks in there with all the muisc I've been collecting for years, several videos and and document archive.     Is there anyway to recover the info from those HDDs?   They're formatted to ReadyNas  so I dont know what to do.    Suggestions?  I'd be grateful

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
holsen1
Aspirant

Last Message - I Promise - Just A Confirmation of Success!

I clipped wire 12 and 18 on an extention cable and spliced them into wire 10 and everything is working perfectly!

I now have a monstrous power supply sitting outside the NAS but that's OK and the cable connector fit though the cutout for the power connector of the previous inbult power supply.   It's whisper quiet and and will run much cooler!

Thanks Again

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

First try removing the disks (labeling them by slot), and power up the NAS.  See if it starts up and gives you a no disks status.

Next I would test the disks in a Windows PC using vendor tools - Seatools for Seagate disks; The WD Dashboard for WDC.  Run the long (full) SMART test. You can connect the disks either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock.  Windows can't mount the disks, but the diags will find them.

After we know the status of the NAS chassis and the disks, we can figure out a next step.

Message 2 of 9
holsen1
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for my delay in responding here.    I havent been able to log back in until now ..... I always have to fight with this system, it never accepts my email or password....

Anyway,  I can now confirm that it's the power suply.... Another one bites the dust, but it's getting increasingly difficult to to find a replacement.

Any Idea where I can find one, or find instructions at to how to jerrt-rig one?  

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@holsen1 wrote:

Any Idea where I can find one, or find instructions at to how to jerrt-rig one?  

@Sandshark might be able to give you some guidance on how to find one.

Stock supplies do require a pinout change.  If you have an ATX supply you could connect it to the NAS with a cable extender, and make the needed mods in the extender.  That's not a good path for long term use, but would give you enough time to off-load the data.

The pinout change is detailed in the attached pdf.

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

It's a modified Flex ATX (aka mini ITX) supply.  The modifications are the pin-out and the cooling.  @StephenB provided the pin-out difference, and the cooling is modified by removing the fan, adding vents, and using an air dam.  It can be tricky to find the fight supply that you can move the original cover to and disconnect the fan, and also be sure the cable is long enough.  There is a UK seller on eBay that has some already modified that use a fan mounted on the opposite end, so it doesn't need to be removed and provides better cooling, but they are a tad expensive.   I also see some cheaper ones, but they still have the fan in the typical location (same end as AC power cord), and it's going to be blocked when installed, I think.  I did once install one without modifying the cooling by moving it back about an inch, securing it with aluminum tape.  Maybe the second one I mentioned earlier is doing something like that.  Frankly, it was a kludge and I wouldn't do it again if it was for an extended period of time.

Also be careful.  Some sellers don't know what "Flex ATX" is and are selling supplies with a top-mounted fan under that description.

Message 5 of 9
holsen1
Aspirant

Thanks again @StephenB  and @Sandshark 

I picked up an ATX PSU with the convertible 24 to 20 pin cable.   I would just like to check one one time before I move the pins.

If I read this diagram correctly here's what I need to do:

1. Remove Blue slot 12

2. Remove White Slot18

3. Splice two wires onto Yellow 10 and insert one into 12 and the other into 18

Is that correct? or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 9
holsen1
Aspirant

Last Message - I Promise - Just A Confirmation of Success!

I clipped wire 12 and 18 on an extention cable and spliced them into wire 10 and everything is working perfectly!

I now have a monstrous power supply sitting outside the NAS but that's OK and the cable connector fit though the cutout for the power connector of the previous inbult power supply.   It's whisper quiet and and will run much cooler!

Thanks Again

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

It's actually better and easier to use a 20/24 pin extension.  Then you have two extra 12V wires from the 4-pin section removed from the NAS end to go in in place of the pins you removed.  If you plan to continue to operate that way, you might want to get a new extender and wire that way.  Also, for extended use, seal the area around where the cable comes in so the chassis fan doesn't draw air in through there, reducing air flow around the drives.

Message 8 of 9
holsen1
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

Also, for extended use, seal the area around where the cable comes in so the chassis fan doesn't draw air in through there, reducing air flow around the drives.

Great tip. I sealed up the area with duct tape and my operating temp has indeed dropped several degrees.  Muchas Gracias.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements