× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NVX Dead PSU need options - asap

avpman1
Aspirant

NVX Dead PSU need options - asap

Long story short, the PSU in my NVX died and I removed it anticipating Netgear would replace it since it's still under warranty until November 2014. Netgear support (live chat) is telling me:
    Warranty is void because I removed the PSU.
    They do not sell replacement PSUs for the NVX even if I am willing to pay out of warranty.
    They do not repair or replace NVXs out of warranty even if I am willing to pay.
    There are no replacement or repair options. I'm just supposed to throw away the NVX?

(The reason I removed the PSU and broke the seal is because that was exactly what I had to do when I had trouble with my other older NV+ unit. I assumed the procedure was the same. OK - my bad.)

What are my options?
    Does anyone know where I can get a replacement NVX PSU?
    Could I move the drives to a new different ReadyNAS product w/o having to restore from my USB backups?
    If so, what model?
    Is there a phone number I can call to get someone at Netgear with authority to help?

I have to say I'm appalled that Netgear has no options for anyone with an out of warranty product, except to throw it away. That just stinks. Especially since they clearly have parts to cover the warranty period.
Message 1 of 12
Marto731
Aspirant

NVX Dead PSU --Log ticket

Avp,
Come off chat. Log a support ticket. Attach a Proof of purchase from November 2009.
For the NVX PSU blown, it does mean a chassis change, as those Power supplies are not sold separate.

I don't know your country. If no progress, ring numbers below.

Plan B, is to ask a friend with same NVX, on same firmware if possible. You could look on eBay,
but there are risks with 2nd hand. Regards, Marto
Message 2 of 12
avpman1
Aspirant

Please check your PMs.
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

avpman wrote:

Could I move the drives to a new different ReadyNAS product w/o having to restore from my USB backups?
If so, what model?

Any other legacy x86 4-bay model that also runs RAIDiator 4.2.x e.g. Pro 4. Best to check the firmware on the replacement is at least as new as on the dead NAS before migrating disks across.

Can also migrate to new x86 NAS e.g. 314, however in that case you would need to carefully follow a procedure support could provide and backup your data, factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) then restore your data from backup.
Message 4 of 12
avpman1
Aspirant

If I have to wipe data, settings,and everything then is there no difference to just buying any diskless ReadyNas and using my drives to start over?
Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

avpman wrote:
If I have to wipe data, settings,and everything then is there no difference to just buying any diskless ReadyNas and using my drives to start over?

Well if you don't currently have a good backup there is a difference.

Anyway how did you go with contacting support again re your failed NVX?
Message 6 of 12
avpman1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
avpman wrote:

Well if you don't currently have a good backup there is a difference.

Anyway how did you go with contacting support again re your failed NVX?

Fortunately I do have good backups. So migrating to another model might be the best option going forward. If I can't get NG PSU or get the RND4000 repaired then it's too dangerous to depend on. If it goes dead it just turns into a great big paper weight.

I logged a ticket and they closed it because they saw that I have been speaking with a technician (I had asked to have a supervisor call me when I wasn't getting anywhere with chat.) He's checking if an RND4PSU1-10000S is compatible with the NVX. And, if they have one they will sell me.

Do you have any suggestions for a new model NAS in which I can move my four 2tb drives to? I'm OK if they have to be wiped and reloaded. I have everything backed up on USB3.0 drives, which I'm hoping a new ReadyNAS would have USB3.0 ports.
Thanks for all your time.
Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

An RN314 is a reasonable choice (or go upscale to the RN516).
Message 8 of 12
avpman1
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
An RN314 is a reasonable choice (or go upscale to the RN516).

Thanks! Amazon's got diskless ones for $539.00. Good call, I appreciate it. By any chance do you know when the RN314 was first released?
Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

March/April 2013 (I think). The 314 is similar in performance to the Ultra.
Message 10 of 12
Nasfan
Aspirant

Bought my new PSU here: http://www.ep-mediastore-ab.de/netzteil-220w-readynas-nv-nv-1100-p-18023.html
Works again. Hope it helps someone.
Message 11 of 12
avpman1
Aspirant

Also try Evercase http://www.evercase.co.uk/PowerSupplyCo ... m#Readynas
Got mine from them. Works great. I think they also sell the same unit via eBay. Very nice people to deal with. I was surprised how fast it arrived in the US coming from the UK.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements