× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need Help with reset/resync issues

Oolong666
Aspirant

Need Help with reset/resync issues

I have a ReadyNas NV+ with firmware RAIDiator 4.1.13 and 4X WD 2T drives. My system keeps resetting and indicating that a RAID event has occurred "Access to the disk on channel (??) is producing I/O errors. Although the array is still redundant, please replace this drive as soon as possible, as it is likely to fail soon." Unfortunately no matter how I go through the logs I can figure out which drive is dying out. There are no obvious indicators and the resych seems to work every time but I STILL can't get access to my shares and it seems to be degrading further.

I don't want to randomly remove a drive to replace it as that could cause me to lose the data if I rebuild the wrong drive. I'm looking for advise from someone with a little more insight that could help me determine which drive I should replace.

I've got a copy of the log files, but am not sure which ones would be the best to upload at this time. Don't want to dump all of them into this forum if I don't have to.

Someone Please help. All of my PVR stuff is on this one and my kids are getting a little upset with me 🙂

Dave
Message 1 of 4
vandermerwe
Master

I would power down the NAS and test each disk using western digital lifeguard
http://support.wd.com/product/download. ... =3&lang=en

Don't remove drives or reinsert them with the NAS on and remember to label them with slot number if you take them all out.

Run the extended test, which takes a long time ( over 12 hours per disk) as the short test doesn't always reveal a problem.

If the NAS is not indicating anything in the error message then I suspect the logs won't be useful.

Is the smart data OK?

I assume you don't have a backup?
Message 2 of 4
Oolong666
Aspirant

The Smart Data is OK, and no, I don't have a backup of all the data (the up to date stuff is kind of transitory).

I have a dock so I'll try the procedure you mentioned.

Thanks

Dave
Message 3 of 4
vandermerwe
Master

You could start with a short test but there many users who report normal short tests in this type of situation, whereas the extended test reveals a problem.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements