× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need a List of UPS for ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus unit

samculi
Aspirant

Need a List of UPS for ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus unit

I just brought a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus. And now need a UPS.

Does anyone know a UPS that work with ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

My RAIDar said version 4.2.19
Message 1 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

4.2.20 (http://www.readynas.com/RAIDiator_x86_4_2_20_Notes) is the latest version of RAIDiator. I would recommend updating to it.

Most APC UPS units with USB ports are compatible with the ReadyNAS.
Message 2 of 17
gibxxi
Guide

Got a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 here (not a Plus model), I'm using a BackUPS ES700uk (1st Gen) and it works well. Need to allow network PC's to monitor the NAS using WinNUT to get them to shut down too, but it all works well.
Message 3 of 17
Bob_K
Tutor

PFC Compatible UPS?

I found this list. I can't tell you if it's current or not: http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=92.

One thing that seems missing from discussions about compatible UPS's is whether or not ReadyNAS Ultras have active PFC power supplies and whether or not compatible UPS's output pure sine wave signals to properly feed PFC power supplies.

This thread seems to hint at it: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=48761&p=279403&hilit=sinus#p279403 ("sinus" = "sine")

Another individual created a ReadyNAS compatibility list on Amazon, but makes no mention of PFC consideration: http://www.amazon.com/UPS-for-NETGEAR-ReadyNAS/lm/RRYNRRGBHAMM5/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_1

Is there a consensus yet? Feeding PFC power supplies with "approximated sine wave" backup power can either result in the power supply shutting down to protect itself (negating the whole purpose of having a UPS) or can result in damage to the PFC power supply.
Message 4 of 17
claykin
Aspirant

According to APC their current Back-ups models include firmware tweaks to make their stepped fake sinewave work with many PFC PSU. Still some users claim to have issues. I have not heard that the Ultra 4 has a PFC PSU.

BTW i have used APC Backups ES550 with a few ultras and new Pro's and have yet to hear of issues.

If you are concerned get a Smartups.
Message 5 of 17
Bob_K
Tutor

claykin wrote:
If you are concerned get a Smartups.

I'm going to give the Cyberpower CP850PFCLCD a try. Unfortunately, the lowest pure sine wave PFC-friendly UPS's on the market today are in the 700-800W range, which is overkill for just a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus. At $120 from Amazon, the CP850PFCLCD is $60 more than a 200-300W APC UPS. $60 extra is easy peace of mind for me when protecting a $1000 NAS-and-4-harddisk combo. Plus, I'll have plenty of reserve power for future added networking equipment.

I have a PFC power supply in my custom built desktop PC. I chose to buy the Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD for the same reason and it has worked marvelously.

I hope the industry provides a little more information on this issue going forward.
Message 6 of 17
claykin
Aspirant

Have you checked to see the battery runtime you get with that Cyberpower PFC UPS? From my limited experience with them, the batt runtime was poor. Also note that even though Cyberpower represents them as pure sine wave, they are not pure sine wave by the definition. Cyberpower applied their marketing "magic".
Message 7 of 17
Bob_K
Tutor

I'm very impressed with the CP1500PFCLCD that runs my custom Intel Core i7, 2 large monitors, modem, router, and NAS (currently). At full load (around 800W), I get about 20 minutes runtime. I'm moving the NAS to a new location in the house, which is why I hunted for a new UPS. I hope the new one performs as well.

I'm all ears if you've got some sources that talk about Cyberpower's "pure sine wave" claim. Never can be too informed.
Message 8 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Best not to put full load on a UPS. Putting more than about 80% load on a UPS leads to the battery draining quickly which is not good for the life of the battery in the UPS.
Message 9 of 17
Bob_K
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
Best not to put full load on a UPS.

Sorry. Got my numbers wrong. Full load of all the equipment I mentioned above is about 400W...about half of the CP1500PFCLCD's rated 900W.
Message 10 of 17
samculi
Aspirant

Thanks all for reply.

Bob K-

Can it be used the two USB ports to connect the PC and ReadyNAS?
Message 11 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

samculi wrote:
Can it be used the two USB ports to connect the PC and ReadyNAS?

No, but you can connect it to the ReadyNAS and then share it over your network. ReadyNAS, UPS, router/switch and PC would all need power connected to the UPS. The router/switch would use very little power and could be left to power off when the UPS battery runs out.

See this excellent guide by dbott67: Using the ReadyNAS to create a Network UPS for PCs
Message 12 of 17
claykin
Aspirant

Bob K wrote:
mdgm wrote:
Best not to put full load on a UPS.

Sorry. Got my numbers wrong. Full load of all the equipment I mentioned above is about 400W...about half of the CP1500PFCLCD's rated 900W.

20 minutes at half load? Did you actually test or are you taking its word (from the LCD). See here for real world testing at near full load from tomshardware.com

Read more from the test tomshardware.com did discussing this UPS as well as others. Cyberpower also originally called the PFC units "adaptive sine wave", then magically changed to "pure sine wave". I confirmed with them in mid 2011 that there was no hardware change. Only a marketing change. Has something changed since then? Probably not.

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/c ... p?id=59349
Message 13 of 17
Bob_K
Tutor

Good data, claykin. My entire setup has changed so I'll have to do some testing again.
Message 14 of 17
gibxxi
Guide

I have an 800w PC, it's monitor, the readynas, cordless phone, USB printer (which is usually off or on standby) Speakers, and a few other bits connected to my APC BackUPS ES-700uk. I Get 5 minutes tops out of it. But I don't care, as long as the NAS shuts down ok. No critical data on the PC. Use WinNUT to Hibernate on this system. Would like something with a bit more longevity, but don't want to have to use IEC cables, or have any more bulk.
Message 15 of 17
claykin
Aspirant

gibxxi wrote:
I have an 800w PC, it's monitor, the readynas, cordless phone, USB printer (which is usually off or on standby) Speakers, and a few other bits connected to my APC BackUPS ES-700uk. I Get 5 minutes tops out of it. But I don't care, as long as the NAS shuts down ok. No critical data on the PC. Use WinNUT to Hibernate on this system. Would like something with a bit more longevity, but don't want to have to use IEC cables, or have any more bulk.

I recommend you remove the printer and speakers from the battery side of UPS. Connect them to surge only.
Message 16 of 17
gibxxi
Guide

They are, it's got 8 sockets. Not everything i listed is on the battery side. I should of made that clear in the original post. The only things on the battery side is the NAS, main PC, it's monitor, and the cordless telephone. The other bits are on the surge side.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements