× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear NAS drive will not restart

JohnS530
Guide

Netgear NAS drive will not restart

NAS drive will not restart.

System starts and gets to 36% and displays "kthread_data+7".

36%.

I have to hard power down, and restart. It gets to the same point in a couple of minutes. It has been sitting at that point for 30 minutes.

I cannot access the system.

Any suggestions?

Model: RN31441E|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Netgear NAS drive will not restart

It's crashing.

Try booting it up read-only.  Pages 74-75 in the hardware manual describe how to do that with an RN314.  https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

If this works, then back up the files on the NAS. 

If it doesn't work, you should probably contact paid support via my.netgear.com.  Gearhead support isn't enough.  The mods here ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) can assist you in getting to the right support. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It's crashing.

Try booting it up read-only.  Pages 74-75 in the hardware manual describe how to do that with an RN314.  https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

If this works, then back up the files on the NAS. 

If it doesn't work, you should probably contact paid support via my.netgear.com.  Gearhead support isn't enough.  The mods here ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) can assist you in getting to the right support. 

Message 2 of 5
JohnS530
Guide

I was able to use your suggestion to get the unit to boot. I am now doing a full backup which will be done shortly.

Once the backup is complete, do I need to reload the firmware OS?

Is there a way to refresh the OS, without having to reload all data from backup?

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

At this point we don't know what is triggering the crash.  

You can download the log zip file from the web ui, and look in system.log, kernel.log, and system-journal for clues.  There's a lot of info in there that you won't see on the screen.  Disk-info.log will also give you the smart stats for the disks (reallocated sectors, etc).  That might give us enough information to understand what is happening.

The other way (brute force, but sometimes quicker in the end) is to do a factory default.  That will reformat the disks and reinstall the OS.  Then you'd need to reconfigure the NAS, and restore the files from your backup.  

You can try an OS-reinstall - that is also described in the hardware manual.  That should preserve your data and almost all settings.  The admin password will be reset back to password.  In addition, the network will be set to the default DHCP, and the volume quota (which is on the volume settings wheel) will be disabled.  It is worth a try (after the backup of course).  But I suspect it won't resolve your problem.

Message 4 of 5
JohnS530
Guide

I will try the OS-reinstall as a starting point.

thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements