× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear RN104 Failed firmware update

Mjoyce1980
Follower

Netgear RN104 Failed firmware update

Hey Everyone,

I have a problem with a Netgear Ready Nas RN104 Firmware version 6.1.9 due to an error "Update Image Checksum Mismatch" the drive has always failed to successfully update the firmware either on reboot and when attempted manually. I am aware this is a know issue but the update has always failed even when attempting with the work around. https://kb.netgear.com/29974/ReadyNAS-OS-6-RN100-RN2120-cannot-update-due-to-invalid-checksum but this has never resolved the issue. The drive has always been accessible in Windows so until recently wasn't an issue.

Tonight I have tried manually updating the firmware to version 6.2.5 using the work around and again the update has failed so I have attempted to manually install firmware version 6.2.0 however this has added to the problem when attempting to access the drive with Explorer the User Id and Password is requested the page opens initially with "NetGear ReadyNas Version 6.1.9" followed by a popup Error "Device is Offline" this can be ignored but the System Overview, performance, Volume and Logs are now all blank with a popup "Connection Lost" error,

The drive and contents are still accessible through file explorer and the drive shows as healthy on RAIDar. I have the option in Settings to check for an update or maually install update but these have both failed to resolve rhe issues.

Any help would be most appreciated. 

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear RN104 Failed firmware update

Hi @Mjoyce1980

Welcome to the Community!

This issue has been to old but if the KB workaround is not working on your NAS it is much advisable to contact Support to intervene and resolve this issue for you since there might be underlying issues that needs to be fixed.

USB Boot recovery writes new FW to the flash so this might work but if the workaround did not work then there might be other issues need to be checked. Also, if there are other issues present USB Boot might not resolve it properly and this method is primarily intended for NAS that are not booting up.

It would be best to contact Support for this issue so it can be properly resolved. 

Also, make sure to have a backup of your data before doing any steps so to make sure you will not have any problem restoring your data if anything goes wrong.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear RN104 Failed firmware update

Hi @Mjoyce1980

Welcome to the Community!

This issue has been to old but if the KB workaround is not working on your NAS it is much advisable to contact Support to intervene and resolve this issue for you since there might be underlying issues that needs to be fixed.

USB Boot recovery writes new FW to the flash so this might work but if the workaround did not work then there might be other issues need to be checked. Also, if there are other issues present USB Boot might not resolve it properly and this method is primarily intended for NAS that are not booting up.

It would be best to contact Support for this issue so it can be properly resolved. 

Also, make sure to have a backup of your data before doing any steps so to make sure you will not have any problem restoring your data if anything goes wrong.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements