× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear ReadyNas 2100 can not install firmware

RBFade
Aspirant

Netgear ReadyNas 2100 can not install firmware

Hello Netgear community,

I have an old netgear ReadyNAS 2100 on which the firmware is not working/installed.

The problem is that I can not connect to the admin page because it says "connection reset" and the RAIDar v.6 is only showing "corrupt root" and no firmware version number.

I have tried everything in order to get the firmware up and running on the RAIDar but have found no success.

Searching for the problem would only yield the same results which arent helping me, so here I am asking you guys.

Here are the things that I have tried:

-> Booting with a OS Reinstall: Firmware is still not installed

-> Booting with a Factory reset : Same as above

-> USB repair utility with firmware raidiator 4.2 : Nothing has changed

-> Connecting with putty to see if I can access the hardware: Connection refused

-> Also trying the things above with and without HDDs

-> Pinging IP-Adress: The only thing that works.

It would be cool if you can help me out here.

Thanks in advance.

Model: ReadyNASRNRX4000|ReadyNAS 2100 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@RBFade wrote:

What do you mean with scratch disk? Trying the factory install on new/other disks(HDDs)? 

Exactly.

@RBFade wrote:

Is the OS installed on the disk?

Yes.  The corrupt root means the NAS isn't finding  a bootable OS partition.

Since you are having trouble doing the factory reset from the boot menu - an alternative is to zero (or unformat) the drives from a PC.  You'll need to connect the drives either with SATA or some form of USB->SATA adapter.

Vendor utilities (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital) have options to zero the drive.  Lifeguard at least has a "quick zeroing" option, which is enough to destory the partition information.  However, I'd run the full zeroing, since it is possible that some of your disks are actually failing.

In windows, you can alternatively use the windows disk manager.  You right click on every "volume" that the disk manager shows for the disk and remove it.

Either way, when you boot up the NAS with unformatted drives installed it will do a factory install.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you have a scratch disk, try removing the installed disks (labeling by slot) and then doing a factory install onto the scratch. That will confirm that your chassis is ok.

Normally a USB recovery won't help this problem - the issue is generally that something went seriously wrong with the OS partition on the disks.

Do you need to get the data off the RAID volume?

Message 2 of 6
RBFade
Aspirant

Right now I do not have any data on the volumes and just want to reset the whole thing so I can access the admin page. There are only 2 disk (out of 4 possible) installed in the system. What do you mean with scratch disk? Trying the factory install on new/other disks(HDDs)? Is the OS installed on the disk?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@RBFade wrote:

What do you mean with scratch disk? Trying the factory install on new/other disks(HDDs)? 

Exactly.

@RBFade wrote:

Is the OS installed on the disk?

Yes.  The corrupt root means the NAS isn't finding  a bootable OS partition.

Since you are having trouble doing the factory reset from the boot menu - an alternative is to zero (or unformat) the drives from a PC.  You'll need to connect the drives either with SATA or some form of USB->SATA adapter.

Vendor utilities (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital) have options to zero the drive.  Lifeguard at least has a "quick zeroing" option, which is enough to destory the partition information.  However, I'd run the full zeroing, since it is possible that some of your disks are actually failing.

In windows, you can alternatively use the windows disk manager.  You right click on every "volume" that the disk manager shows for the disk and remove it.

Either way, when you boot up the NAS with unformatted drives installed it will do a factory install.

Message 4 of 6
RBFade
Aspirant

Hey Stephen,

First of all thank you for your solution.

It seems like that it was the only way to install the firmware on the Hardware. Right now it works like a charm!

I inserted the zeroed disks while running raidiator which has let me configure the new disk and also installed the firmware. It was the only solution which I did not find in the internet.

Thank you very much I really do appreciate that you helped me out!

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I could help, and that you are up and running again.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements