× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Readynas Pro 6 - issues accessing admin page & shares

Dabreeze01
Aspirant

Netgear Readynas Pro 6 - issues accessing admin page & shares

Having issue accessing ReadyNas 6 Pro admin page.... getting....

Dabreeze01_0-1653332501903.png

For that, tried temp disabling fw, ad blockers, etc; Clearing browser cache and try different browsers - Chrome, IE, Firebox  ===

All to no avail....

Also unable to access 2 of 3 shares via Windows explorer ..says invalid username/password.

Tried resetting via an OS/Firmware reinstall from  the boot menu...  shares still not accessible...same invalid username/password message.

RAIDar says status is healthy and all drives healthy; Chassis is populated with 6 drives.  FW is 4.2.31

Don't know what happened..didn't have any of these issues a few days ago...

Some kind of update get pushed?

Any way to fix any of this?   Reset accounts outside of the admin page?

I can't do a factory refresh as don't want to / can't lose any of my data on the drives.

My biggest concern is my data;  If i could just access the admin page or get access to the shares and I can back up the data..

Don't know what to do...

BTW... I now this a legacy model ReadyNAS and ofcourse I dont have Netgear support on it any longer so I cant open a support case 😞

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Netgear Readynas Pro 6 - issues accessing admin page & shares

@Dabreeze01 wrote:

For that, tried temp disabling fw, ad blockers, etc; Clearing browser cache and try different browsers - Chrome, IE, Firebox  ===

All to no avail....

The issue is because browsers have begun dropping support for TLS 1.0 - which is what your Pro uses.

But IE should work - you'd get a different warning about the certificate but you can click through that one (unlike the protocol mismatch error in your screenshot).  Installing an old version of FireFox will also work - I tested 94.0.2 myself but there are likely some newer versions that would also work.  You do need to make sure you immediately disable automatic updates after you install.

Once you regain access to Frontview, you have two longer-term options.  One is to install an add-on from rnxtras.com ( https://github.com/rdynsxtrs/rn4bin/blob/main/apache2/x86/Apache2_2.2.34-x86-0.2.0.bin ).  The other is to convert your NAS to run OS 6 firmware.

There's a lot more information on this issue here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Workaround-for-ERR-SSL-VERSION-OR-CIPHER...  Though that thread is getting a bit long.

Message 2 of 4
Dabreeze01
Aspirant

Wow!  I was a able to access  Frontview once I went through Edge (IE mode) and I applied the add-on you mentioned.

Question:  Can I leave it at that/is that sufficient or should I convert to run OS 6 firmware? And if so, how do I do that?...

sorry long thread..i didn't find clear instructions to convert to OS 6...

Thanks so much!! So far... you helped dodge a bullet ...

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Dabreeze01 wrote:

Can I leave it at that/is that sufficient or should I convert to run OS 6 firmware? And if so, how do I do that?...

Adding TLS 1.2 is enough to let you regain access.

OS-6 is considerably newer, has some additional features - for example, it supports SMB 3.  Volumes can be much larger than the 16 TiB limit on the Pro-6.   It also is still getting firmware updates (mostly security patches at this point).  The software manual is here:  https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

FWIW, I've converted my own Pro 6.  The process requires a factory default, so all data has to be off-loaded first, and restored after the process is finished.

If you do decide to convert the Pro 6, then you should also increase the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, your Pro only has 1 GB.  It might be enough, but some have run into out-of-memory issues.  Upgrading to 2x2GB is inexpensive, and is simple to do. 

The steps are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you so want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

Note it is possible to reverse the process if you want to go back to 4.2.x again.  That is also destructive.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements