× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New to NAS - RN212 syncing - 0.1%?

NamelessUseless
Aspirant

New to NAS - RN212 syncing - 0.1%?

Received a used NAS with x2 3TB drives. Didn't see that resetting OS was an option until after I had already performed a factory reset. Whoops!

I understand this is a data wipe, which is ok because the data on the drives needed to be cleared. But the RAIDer tool is giving a status of 'Syncing Volume (0.1% complete), and hasn't changed for over 20 minutes. Web UI is accessible but sluggish.

1. How long should I expect this sync to take? Does the lack of '%' progress indicate a problem?
  2. What RAID configuration is this setting up? If it sets up a mirror and I want to later change this to striped, will that cause another long syncing process?
Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: New to NAS - RN212 syncing - 0.1%?

@NamelessUseless wrote: What RAID configuration is this setting up? If it sets up a mirror and I want to later change this to striped, will that cause another long syncing process?

It is setting up RAID 1.

If you want something else, you can switch to FlexRAID, and destroy the current volume (then create the one you want).  No need to wait fo the resync to finish.

If you mean RAID 0 when you say "striped", then I suggest that you consider two jbod volumes.  RAID 0 is fragile (if either disk fails, you lose all your data).

The sync is creating RAID redundancy.  The ReadyNAS uses mdadm for RAID, which creates a virtual disk.  It then creates a btrfs file system that runs on that disk.  Since mdadm is running "below" the file system, the sync process is duplicating every sector on the drives (creating the mirror).  That process takes the same amount of time when the volume is empty as it does when it is full.

@NamelessUseless wrote:

How long should I expect this sync to take? Does the lack of '%' progress indicate a problem?

Normally I'd guestimate about 6 hours for 2x3TB on your NAS. If it's taking much longer, then I suspect there could be a problem with the drives.

While this could indicate bad sectors, it could also be a result of using drives with SMR technology in the NAS.  Several desktop-class drives are SMR (including the 3 TB Seagage Barracuda).  Also, the current WDC Red models (not Red Plus or Red Pro) are SMR - the relevant 3 TB model is WD30EFAX.

SMR drives have created significant performance issues for several ReadyNAS owners - if you are using that technology in your NAS, I suggest replacing those drives with either WDC Red Plus or Seagate Ironwolf.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@NamelessUseless wrote: What RAID configuration is this setting up? If it sets up a mirror and I want to later change this to striped, will that cause another long syncing process?

It is setting up RAID 1.

If you want something else, you can switch to FlexRAID, and destroy the current volume (then create the one you want).  No need to wait fo the resync to finish.

If you mean RAID 0 when you say "striped", then I suggest that you consider two jbod volumes.  RAID 0 is fragile (if either disk fails, you lose all your data).

The sync is creating RAID redundancy.  The ReadyNAS uses mdadm for RAID, which creates a virtual disk.  It then creates a btrfs file system that runs on that disk.  Since mdadm is running "below" the file system, the sync process is duplicating every sector on the drives (creating the mirror).  That process takes the same amount of time when the volume is empty as it does when it is full.

@NamelessUseless wrote:

How long should I expect this sync to take? Does the lack of '%' progress indicate a problem?

Normally I'd guestimate about 6 hours for 2x3TB on your NAS. If it's taking much longer, then I suspect there could be a problem with the drives.

While this could indicate bad sectors, it could also be a result of using drives with SMR technology in the NAS.  Several desktop-class drives are SMR (including the 3 TB Seagage Barracuda).  Also, the current WDC Red models (not Red Plus or Red Pro) are SMR - the relevant 3 TB model is WD30EFAX.

SMR drives have created significant performance issues for several ReadyNAS owners - if you are using that technology in your NAS, I suggest replacing those drives with either WDC Red Plus or Seagate Ironwolf.

Message 2 of 6
NamelessUseless
Aspirant

Appreciate the info. The drives are Barracudas. They're at least a few years old also, FWIW.

I left the drive(s) running overnight and the RAIDer tool says that it is now at 7%. Sounds like that could be a problem.

Additionally, I was able to complete some of the initial settings and got about 100 email alerts last night stating "Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [812] on disk... This indicates impending disk failure'. Is this just a result of the syncing process, or are these drives dying?
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@NamelessUseless wrote:

Additionally, I was able to complete some of the initial settings and got about 100 email alerts last night stating "Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [812] on disk... This indicates impending disk failure'. Is this just a result of the syncing process, or are these drives dying?

A drive with 812 bad sectors is dying.  Hopefully it will survive through the end of the rsync, so you can replace it. The sync is just exposing a problem that was already there.

Are you getting these emails on more than one drive?  What is the drive letter?

Message 4 of 6
NamelessUseless
Aspirant

If you mean the drive identifier/ letter as shown in the admin menu - It was too sluggish last night and this morning to load that information, if it is listed there. You might be referring to something else?

However, all of the emailed alerts state that this is related to the #1 drive. This one just came in this afternoon:

"Detected increasing pending sector: count [65535] on disk 1 (Internal) ... 33 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy."

Tell me if I'm jumping ahead but, if the drive in bay 1 survives the sync, I guess the next step is to load it with some data and then follow the instructions for swapping out the failing drive to see if/ how well it's mirrored the files. Otherwise I'll start over with some stable drives.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@NamelessUseless wrote:

Tell me if I'm jumping ahead but, if the drive in bay 1 survives the sync, I guess the next step is to load it with some data and then follow the instructions for swapping out the failing drive to see if/ how well it's mirrored the files. Otherwise I'll start over with some stable drives.

I forgot that this was a fresh install.

I'd just replace the drive, there's no reason to load it with data.  It has far too many reallocated sectors.  You could just do that now, since the NAS has no data on it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements