× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No boot only telnet with USB recovery

skmax
Aspirant

No boot only telnet with USB recovery

Dear all,

I am writing to ask you for advice, as a last resort, before throwing away my nas.

It is a 2-Bay RN102 - ReadyNAS 100, that does not start. It is not reachable from RAIDAR.
I have attempted to restore the factory condition or to reload the operating system, keeping the button behind  pressed at the start

and continue to press the Reset button until the Power button LED, USB and backup status LED, disk 1 LED, and disk 2 LED light.

and release reset, but when I use the backup button to choose the function (boot menu, normal factory default etc ...) at the first push the LEDs go out, and even pressing even more times they remain off, without the possibility of choosing the mode. I have tried both with and without inserted discs.

If it can help, I also run the USB Recovery Tool which from the procedure (in the end the device turns off) seems to be correct, but unfortunately the error is the same when I turn it back on.
The only thing that would give me a little hope 🙂 is that during the USB RECOVERY, before it turns off, if I run RAIDAR the nas is seen in TELNET service mode, and I can connect with TELNET using root and password infr8ntdebug but then I don't know what commands to run to restore it.
Sorry for the length of the post but so 'I have explained well the steps performed so far, thanks in advance who will want to help me.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: No boot only telnet with USB recovery

@skmax

Is it staying on TS mode when USB recovery successfully rebooted the device? There might be an issue with the flash since the problem starts from booting but have you tried booting it again without the drives? If RAIDar successfully detects the NAS even when without the drives or if it is on 6.10.x it should go to safe mode or show the status as no disk inserted then there's a chance it can still be fixed.

Also, have you tried booting and doing a factory reset after you were able to access the NAs on Telnet? There might be members who can provide guide on using CLI but I would still recommend contacting Support for assistance.

HTH

Message 2 of 19
skmax
Aspirant

@Marc_V 

I can only reach it with Raidar when it is in USB recovery, if I restart the Raidar device it no longer sees it

In fact I think the only solution to restore it is via CLI via telnet but I don't know which commands to type, if there is someone here who knows how to do it I thank him very much.

Message 3 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@skmax wrote:

I can only reach it with Raidar when it is in USB recovery,

Do you mean USB recovery mode, or tech support mode?

If you just power up with no disks inserted (no attempt to use the boot menu), does RAIDar see the NAS?  

Also, have you tested the disks in a Windows PC with vendor tools (Lifeguard for WD; Seatools for Seagate)?  You can connect the disks either with SATA or with a USB adapter/dock.

Message 4 of 19
skmax
Aspirant

The only way Raidar sees the device is as follows:
1) I prepare a usb memory pen recovery and put it in the front usb socket
2) Food in NAS by holding down the backup button
3) USB is active (its light turns on)
4) Release the Backup button
5) When the Memory Pen stops flashing, that is, it has finished loading, I try with Raidar and the NAS can be reached in TELNET technical mode (see image)
This regardless of whether there are inserted discs that are not there.
I have not tried if the disks have problems with the appropriate tools, I will, but I don't think that's the problem.
I think that with appropriate TELNET commands we can recover. Thanks

Message 5 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Were you running 6.2.4 before you did the USB recovery?  It not, it was a bad idea to go back that far.

The bad serial number suggests that is damage to the flash that needs to repaired.  Maybe PM @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V and see if they are willing to take a look.

Message 6 of 19
PH23-14
Aspirant

Kicking up this old topic. I'm having the exact same issue after manually upgrading (at least trying to) from 6.10.8 to 6.10.9.

The screenshot is and conditions to make it visible are 100% the same as posted here.

@skmax were you able to fix it?

Message 7 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@PH23-14 wrote:

Kicking up this old topic. I'm having the exact same issue after manually upgrading (at least trying to) from 6.10.8 to 6.10.9.

Try powering down the NAS and remove the disks (label them as you take them out, so you can put them back in the same slot).  Then power up, and see if RAIDar detects the NAS with a no-disks status.

Message 8 of 19
PH23-14
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB I did, but no difference than with disk inserted. The only way I can make Raidar see the nas is following the same steps as @skmax described in post 5.

Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@PH23-14 wrote:

Thanks @StephenB I did, but no difference than with disk inserted. The only way I can make Raidar see the nas is following the same steps as @skmax described in post 5.

Do you also see the NONE000200000 serial number?

If you do, that suggests the system flash is corrupted or failed - only Netgear can repair corruption (and they no longer offer support). 

What model NAS do you have?

Message 10 of 19
PH23-14
Aspirant

Yes exactly the same serial number you mentioned. I have a RN102.

Message 11 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@PH23-14 wrote:

Yes exactly the same serial number you mentioned. I have a RN102.

It likely isn't repairable.  I'm tagging @Sandshark as he might have some thoughts.

FWIW, 6.10.10 did include an (undocumented) update to the uboot (flash) for the arm-based NAS.  That might have failed.

Message 12 of 19
skmax
Aspirant

Hi all,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to solve it

Message 13 of 19
PH23-14
Aspirant

Thanks @skmax for confirming 🙂

@StephenB I didn't try to update to 6.10.10, but 'only' to 6.10.9 (as I was on 6.10.8).

Message 14 of 19
Sandshark
Sensei

I have never learned about UBOOT to a level to be of help here.  But I can definitively say that a ReadyNAS will intentionally fail to operate if it cannot recognize it's serial number and model number.

On an ARM based system, I believe it does get that information from UBOOT.  But that's all I know.

On a legacy machine, it's encoded in the vpd file in flash, which is encrypted and can only be re-created by Netgear.

On an Intel-based native OS6 unit, it's in the DMI.  I've known that for some time, but not revealed it because it could have given way to "counterfeit ReadyNAS".  But since I doubt anyone would want to run OS6 on a non-Netgear unit at this point, I feel better about revealing it.  It's not encrypted, and standard AMI tools for reading and writing DMI work (but best of luck finding Linux ones).  Since it's unencrypted for OS6 Intel units, it likely is on OS6 ARM units as well, and someone with knowledge of working with UBOOT may be able to reverse engineer it as I did with the DMI on Intel units.

@mdgm may be able to help, though his previous employment with Netgear may tie his hands.

Message 15 of 19
camilasophia6
Aspirant

Is it staying on TS mode when USB recovery successfully rebooted the device? There might be an issue with the flash since the problem starts from booting but have you tried booting it again without the drives? If RAIDar successfully detects the NAS even when without the drives or if it is on 6.10.x it should go to safe mode or show the status as no disk inserted then there's a chance it can still be fixed.

Also, have you tried booting and doing a factory reset after you were able to access the NAs on Telnet? There might be members who can provide guide on using CLI but I would still recommend contacting Support for assistance.

HTH

Message 16 of 19
PH23-14
Aspirant

Thanks for you suggestions. But the raidar screenshot is really the only status I can get from it.

I consider my RN102 bricked and will be looking for a replacement.

Message 17 of 19
martinr11
Aspirant

I updated the RN104 firmware with web interface to 6.10.10

After the update the device will not boot any more and says USB recovery.

I made the USB recovery memory stick as suggested by manual.

Now I am able to access the unit with telnet.

I do not know any commands for restore.

Message 18 of 19
martinr11
Aspirant

Got if fixed. I added also ReadyNASOS-6.10.10-arm.img to the memory stick. Then it did the update and shut down but still no boot.

I tried with ReadyNASOS-6.10.9-arm.img

then ReadyNASOS-6.10.8-arm.img

then ReadyNASOS-6.10.7-arm.img

After that I removed the img file from memory stick and tried again.

After that there was displayed FW update. Then with next reboot the bars progressed with staying long on 98% and the disks rattled until it finally boots to FW 6.10.10

Web interface shows Firmware 6.10.10

Files are acessible, seems that the issue is fixed.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements