× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Number of files in a folder

rlosey
Aspirant

Number of files in a folder

I have a ReadyNAS 202 that is working well, I think.

However, one folder has a lot of files, and I keep thinking a file should be there, but I cannot find it. It is possible that I am just wrong, but I was trying to find out how many files are supported in a folder. I assume that it's massive - thousands, at least. I have hundreds, so it should be okay, but I've been unable to find any information about how many files are supported.

The filesystem seems to either claim to be btrfs or "raid1" so that didn't help. Someone here may know... or may be able to say that they have thousands of files in one folder, and except for slower access times, everything is okay.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Number of files in a folder

@rlosey wrote:

The filesystem seems to either claim to be btrfs or "raid1" so that didn't help. Someone here may know... or may be able to say that they have thousands of files in one folder, and except for slower access times, everything is okay.

The file system is btrfs, built on top of RAID.

There is no size limit for a folder, other than the max number of files in the entire file system.  That's much higher than anyone can ever reach: 2^64 (or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Number of files in a folder

@rlosey wrote:

The file system is btrfs, built on top of RAID.

There is no size limit for a folder, other than the max number of files in the entire file system.  That's much higher than anyone can ever reach: 2^64 (or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements