× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 DISK TEST STILL GOING AFTER 4 DAYS

davidr1
Luminary

OS6 DISK TEST STILL GOING AFTER 4 DAYS

Hi

NAS 314 4x4TB RAID 5

I started a Disk Test Mar 01, 2022 13:45:01 Volume: Disk test started for volume data

It is still going (Mar 04 09:11)

The only indication anything is happening is the ACT light every 7 seconds or so and the Admin Page > System > Volumes which dims and has a sliced circle rotate when disk activity occurs.

How can I stop the test? Should I?

Many thanks,

David

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
davidr1
Luminary

Any help at, please? It's still going Mar 05 09:06

Many thanks

David

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

It's certainly running much longer than expected.  My 4x10 TB system completes the disk test in less than 24 hours.

My recollection is that there is cancel control on the volume page - not sure about that though.  Rebooting is another thing you can try.

After cancelling, it makes sense to download the full log zip file - looking to see if there are errors that might explain the slow completion.

Message 3 of 7
davidr1
Luminary

Hi StephenB,

Many thanks for your reply.

There is no Cancel button (6.10.6) on the Volumes page. So I did a Shutdown and it powered down straight away. A Cancel option on the page would be a good idea.

The disks are WD40EFAX and supported. I'll download the log.

Is it the DISKS log?

Many thanks,

David

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

The disks are WD40EFAX

These particular drives are SMR technology, which have highly variable write speeds (they will become glacially slow when there is enough sustained writes to overwhelm their cache).  Generally I don't recommend the current WD Red drives for ReadyNAS (several folks here have had trouble with them).  Red Plus are CMR, so they are fine.

But still, the drives are only being read during the disk test, so I'm not seeing how the SMR would factor in.

@davidr1 wrote:

Is it the DISKS log?

There are several logs that I'd look in (including disk_info.log.  If you can upload the full log zip to cloud storage (dropbox, google drive, etc), you can send me a link in a PM - I'll get back to you this weekend.

Message 5 of 7
davidr1
Luminary

Hi StephenB

I'm now in hospital at the moment - may I take you up on your offer when discharged?

Many thanks,

David

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

I'm now in hospital at the moment - may I take you up on your offer when discharged?

Sure.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements