× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Open Question to Netgear - What are Your Intentions?

tiranor
Aspirant

On the FaceBook account, there's a partial answer from netgear...

"As for v5 on x86 or other specific roadmap features. This is not the appropriate place to discuss. But there are lot of new exiting products and features in development. We are looking forward to the day we can share specific news."
Message 26 of 67
gibxxi
Guide

Carrot & Stick.

:?
Message 27 of 67
chirpa
Luminary

ahpsi wrote:
I saw laserboy's post regarding potential new models -> http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69574 and they (RN312, RN314, RN516 + EDA500 and RN316) do look interesting.
The EDA500 appears all over Google, in various online stores. Its $500, wonder whats actually inside it. It says expansion chassis, I'd guess eSATA maybe, but for that price, seems like it would have more brains in it. There's also a bunch of RN10[2,4] models along with that 312 model.

http://www.pcnation.com/Web/details.asp?item=QZ9395

http://www.synnex.com/vendors/NETGEAR.html
And interestingly, the Pro4/6 are listed as Discontinued on that Synnex page, a sign to come? Also: viewtopic.php?p=387623#p387623

Also, https://github.com/plexinc/plex-media-s ... dfaf0ddd3b (Plex: Add support for ReadyNAS OS 6)
Message 28 of 67
ahpsi1
Tutor

Yah I had (have somewhere) two of these and fought with them for years before I gave up and bought an NVX. Horrible transfer rates, lack of recovery tools and hardware so limited I remain unable to give it new life doing something useful with an open source OS. Since it's PATA I can't even use a it a SATA storage enclosure.
Message 29 of 67
chirpa
Luminary

The SC101T chassis was also used for the Stora, which I think turned a lot of people off.
Message 30 of 67
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

AMRivlin wrote:

What is funny is if netgear had a smart marketing team they would have been ahead of this release with sneak peaks and twitter promotion and later a nice press kit ready. Instead more mismanaged information. Who is running this gong show?

If new products are coming, once there is a press release then information on those products would be made available. It would be usual practice for some reviewers to get their hands on units before the press release is made, I think.

In the past NetGear has not commented on rumours of possible future ReadyNAS products, unless and until they are announced.
Message 31 of 67
chirpa
Luminary

AMRivlin, ahpsi's post on the EDA500 product image was a joke. Zetera is long dead for NTGR use, that was a circa-2004 product.
Message 32 of 67
AMRivlin
Apprentice

Ok. That's good to know.
Message 33 of 67
ahpsi1
Tutor

Bad joke, although the SC101 actually had some weight to it and feels like was built well.
Message 34 of 67
jeremyotten
Aspirant

Unlimited Snapshots = NEXENTA!!
Message 35 of 67
super_poussin
Virtuoso

jeremyotten wrote:
Unlimited Snapshots = NEXENTA!!

why ?
Message 36 of 67
jeremyotten
Aspirant

Because Unlimited Snapshots is a feature of Solaris ZFS filesystem and NEXENTA is Solaris ZFS so...

Why wouldn't they.. just use same OS and add home user option to it 😉 Easy.
Message 37 of 67
WhoCares_
Mentor

While your line of argumentation is conclusive, it doesn't make the conclusion itself any more than wishful thinking, though 😉
Message 38 of 67
jeremyotten
Aspirant

Correct.. lets just wait and see 😉

My Logic works!
Message 39 of 67
ahpsi1
Tutor

Only downside to ZFS on SOHO NAS would be the higher RAM requirement which would translate to higher hardware costs. That said, an extra $100 for 16GB of memory would be more than OK given the benefits of ZFS. If you leave de-dupe off it would be even less of an issue.
Message 40 of 67
chirpa
Luminary

ReadyDATA is Nexenta, watch it boot up via VGA cable.
Message 41 of 67
MDPlatts
Aspirant

I've largely given up hope of getting fixes so I've just jumped ship to the Asustor AS-608T NAS with 8 x 3TB WD RED's for 16.4TB in RAID-6 - as I hope with the power of Asus behind it they will invest for the long term and won't drop existing customers like Netgear have.

Although new players in the market, its as good as the ultra 4 I have now and shows lots of promise if a little rough round the edges in a few places.

Let the exodus begin.
Message 42 of 67
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

4.2.23 public beta is now available: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=70385

If you find any issues with that beta as usual post in the public beta forum.
Message 43 of 67
DrBunsen1
Aspirant

When I was looking to buy a NAS more than 2 years ago, I knew that ReadyNAS was an option, but didn't want to consider it. Why? Because it was a Netgear product, and I've found Netgear support to be sometimes almost OK, but usually pretty darned bad. The only Netgear products I would buy are the cheapie gigabit switches for home use.

But while researching the various NAS products, the enthusiastic ReadyNAS users kept making me think that maybe it was an OK product, but no no no no... no Netgear stuff for me.

Then I found this forum. Holy smokes! Real enthusiastic support! From users! And third party app support that seemed to cover all sorts of things I never considered asking a NAS to do! So I bit the bullet, and bought an Ultra 6. I totally LOVE it! And I posted some of my experiences here as well so that others could know what I'd run into, and contribute to the community.

A couple days ago I saw a killer deal on an Ultra 6 at a local Fry's, and thought about checking to see why there was such a big price drop. I then saw the new models and features, and thought "hmmm... sounds nice". (Sure I'd like some new features on my Ultra 6, but I don't feel ripped off or anything.)

Then I came here to get the REAL scoop on the new models and features.

Um... yikes! This forum seems dead now. It used to be a happy, thriving place, but now it seems sad and lonely. The whole reason why I bought my NAS is effectively gone. Which means that for new issues I'd probably have to rely on standard Netgear support, and yeah, I don't feel like sticking my eye with a pointed stick any more than necessary.

Companies live and die by how well they are able to develop and maintain loyalty. This forum was it for me. The community is not gone, but it's certainly feels like it's on life-support. That's OK, things change. Fortunately, I can change too. To a different brand.

I still love my ReadyNAS, and I still hate Netgear. I always had it in the back of my mind that Netgear might somehow ruin this forum, and get ReadyNAS support to fall in line with how they support their other products. Looks like they're doing it. It's just too bad that they have delusions of adequacy when it comes to support.

It was great while it lasted!

(BTW, to others who have mentioned Synology - we have 2 of them here at work and neither of them support scheduled surface scans. So if a drive is going bad you won't know it until you access the file on the bad spot, or if you're really really unlucky, when it's doing a rebuild when a different drive fails, at which point the rebuild will probably fail. Better hope you have a good backup when that happens! Make sure any NAS you get allows you to schedule surface scans!)
Message 44 of 67
AMRivlin
Apprentice

Very well put.

But as you pointed out, this forum is mostly enthusiasts and a handful of talented 3rd party developers.

My point is: You are preaching to the choir.
Message 45 of 67
DrBunsen1
Aspirant

Yeah. {Sigh...}

I wonder if Netgear is concerned about the 3rd party devs bailing out on the platform.
Message 46 of 67
dsm1212
Apprentice

I'm just as upset with netgear, but I have to give them credit for their new top system having extra horsepower. The i3 processor is an important benefit for my workload. The synologies are all 2.13Ghz atom processors which are really low end laptop processors that can't keep up with heavy audio/video workloads. It would actually be a step down from my pro6 running an e7600.

steve
Message 47 of 67
tiranor
Aspirant

After that, you have the QNAP TS879-Pro with 8 disks and a core i3, but it's 2200€ diskless.
Message 48 of 67
chirpa
Luminary

With the appearance of a few Jedi Council today (maybe from the recent critisism?), I'm bumping this thread to see if they decide to step up.

NETGEAR, state your commitment here...
Message 49 of 67
tiranor
Aspirant

tiranor wrote:
After that, you have the QNAP TS879-Pro with 8 disks and a core i3, but it's 2200€ diskless.

Btw, synology also has a core i3 NAS, the 3612, but it's also 2200€ diskless (with 12 native bays and a max of 36 disks).

And chirpa, as their intervention only relates to the new products, and minor bugs/questions on the legacy ones, i would not raise my hopes...
Message 50 of 67
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements