× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Plan to upgrade RN316 with 14TB drives

amrob2
Apprentice

Plan to upgrade RN316 with 14TB drives

I have 2 RN316 NAS and 1 RN426. I am thinking about upgrading the RN316's to 14TB drives.

Has anyone on here used 14TB drives on the RN316? I have searched and could not find any specific mentions of 14TB on the RN316 within this community. I know the compatability listings do mention 14TB's on the RN316, but owing to the amount of money I would be spending on the drives, I just want to make sure by hearing from someone who has successfully upgraded a RN316 with 14TB drives.

My plan for upgrading would be to take out the existing 6 drives and place them temporarily into the other RN316, then place the new 14TB drives into the RN316 I had removed the drives from, do a reinstallation of firmware and set up the NAS as new again, then once the drives had finished building the raid array, copy the data back over from the other server. I figure this would be quicker than swapping one drive out at a time and rebuilding the array and probably safer too owing to the strain it would put on the existing disks rebuilding 6 times until all 6 disks were replaced.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Plan to upgrade RN316 with 14TB drives

@amrob2 wrote:

My plan for upgrading would be to take out the existing 6 drives and place them temporarily into the other RN316, then place the new 14TB drives into the RN316 I had removed the drives from, do a reinstallation of firmware and set up the NAS as new again, then once the drives had finished building the raid array, copy the data back over from the other server. I figure this would be quicker than swapping one drive out at a time and rebuilding the array and probably safer too owing to the strain it would put on the existing disks rebuilding 6 times until all 6 disks were replaced.

I don't own an RN316 (and my biggest drives right now are 10 TB).  So I can't help on your main request.

But I do agree that your upgrade path will be faster (and lower risk) than hot-swapping the drives one at a time.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements