× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 not recognizing Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB

sebastianci
Aspirant

RN104 not recognizing Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB

Hi My setup:

RN104

bay 1 4TB WDC WD40 EFRX- 68WTONO

bay 2 6TB ST6000NE0023-2EX110

bay 3 4TB WDC WD40 EFRX- 68WTONO

bay 4 6TB ST6000NE0023-2EX110

X-RAID, RAID 5, Firmware 6.10.3

I have tried to replace bay1 with Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB SATA III 3.5" HDD ST8000NM000A, which is present on campatibility list:

https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List.

Unfortunatelly after swap ( swapped when NAS is powered down) NAS is not recognizing it in it's bay , reporting empty bay, and of course degraded array.

Looks like the disk is not supported, or my particular mix of disks is not suitable.

Are you able to advise or even report it to Netgear so future FW updates will implement needed fix.

I am well of the warranty period ( I bought NAS in 2014 and so far it was fantastic)

Thanks
Sebastian

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@sebastianci wrote:

What is the conclusion, is EXOS 7E8 8TB are just bad ? From your experience do you see more issues with these than any other disks?

Thinking if it is worth buying another one? If true what you recommend for 8TB?

I haven't seen many posts here on the EXOS.  Generally people seem happy with Seagate NAS-purposed (IronWolf) and enterprise class drives.  DM drives aren't good choices (older ones had high failure rates in RAID, and some newer ones are SMR).

Generally I've gone with Western Digital, and I have sometimes received drives that were dead-on-arrival.  So getting a dead drive is a bit unusual, but it does happen.  There's no way to tell if that was due to a manufacturing defect, or if the drive was somehow mishandled during shipment. 

Since you just purchased, I suggest simply exchanging it with the seller for another EXOS.  Then you get a new drive with full warranty.  If you do an RMA with Seagate you'll get a recertified drive with a much shorter warranty.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 19

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

The best way to swap or add drives is with the power on.  So try powering up without the drive and then add it.

If that still doesn't work, test the drive with Seatools on a PC.  It is possible you got a bad new drive.  If it is bad, try to get a replacement from the vendor.  If you return it to Seagate, you may get a refurbished replacement.

If it is bad and you put the old drive back in, note that it will most likely need to re-sync.  That's not an indication anything is wroing, your array just went on without it, so it's out of sync.

Message 2 of 19
sebastianci
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for prompt answer, will follow the procedure you gave , though first probably need to wait for resync to fiinish after have re inserted the old 4TB there , guess it will take around 4 days judging by the speed and % it is already on.

Will let you know , do you reckon I caqn test the drive with Seatools PC before I reinsert it to the NAS ( do not know if Seatools leave something on the drive what will prevent NAS from using it).

Thanks

Sebastian

Message 3 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@sebastianci wrote:

do you reckon I can test the drive with Seatools PC before I reinsert it to the NAS ( do not know if Seatools leave something on the drive what will prevent NAS from using it).

The NAS will reformat the disk anyway, so no worries there.

Start with the quick test, as it will give you some idea if the drive is working at all. Passing this test isn't enough to tell you that the drive is healthy.    

Then move on to the long non-destructive read test.  If this passes, then I suggest running the destructive full write test (which zeros the drive).  The write test will sometimes pick up issues that the read test doesn't (and vice versa).

Message 4 of 19
sebastianci
Aspirant

Great ,

Thanks for that will start with seatools as my NAS is still rebuilding.

Sebastian

Message 5 of 19
SamirD
Prodigy

Any news on how this went?  I have an 8TB Exos too. 🙂

Message 6 of 19
sebastianci
Aspirant

HI

Sorry for late update .

@StephenBbig thanks to you, the disk was faulty, it was not recognized in any other PC, returned it and got full refund. I would never expect enterprise grade disk to be sold faulty ( you expect enterprise to be extra tested but there you go)

@SamirDHi, are you having problems with the disk? I wonder if it is wise decission to go fo the same disk again?

Thanks

Sebastian

Message 7 of 19
SamirD
Prodigy

I got my drive open box and crystal disk said it has issues, but it passes wd's tests fine and I'm running seagates on it now.  It's an intermittent failure I think as I hear what sounds like the 'click of death' and then goes away.  Luckily full warranty so if I have to rma it I will.

And I just saw the results of telling it to do an 'erase' in seatools and it failed.  I'm running a 'long generic' test on it now and will expect that to fail too.  That will convince me that it's bad so rma time in the morning. 🙂

Message 8 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@SamirD wrote:

And I just saw the results of telling it to do an 'erase' in seatools and it failed.  I'm running a 'long generic' test on it now and will expect that to fail too.  That will convince me that it's bad so rma time in the morning. 🙂

FWIW, I've had bad drives that passed the long test, and failed the erase tests (and also the other way around).  I'd rma it even if it passes the non-destructive test.  

Message 9 of 19
sebastianci
Aspirant

What is the conclusion, is EXOS 7E8 8TB are just bad ? From your experience do you see more issues with these than any other disks?

Thinking if it is worth buying another one? If true what you recommend for 8GB?

Message 10 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@sebastianci wrote:

Thinking if it is worth buying another one? If true what you recommend for 8TB?

I haven't seen many posts here on the EXOS.  Generally people seem happy with Seagate NAS-purposed (IronWolf) and enterprise class drives.  DM drives aren't good choices (older ones had high failure rates in RAID, and some newer ones are SMR).

Generally I've gone with Western Digital, and I have sometimes received drives that were dead-on-arrival.  So getting a dead drive is a bit unusual, but it does happen.  There's no way to tell if that was due to a manufacturing defect, or if the drive was somehow mishandled during shipment. 

Since you just purchased, I suggest simply exchanging it with the seller for another EXOS.  Then you get a new drive with full warranty.  If you do an RMA with Seagate you'll get a recertified drive with a much shorter warranty.

Message 11 of 19
sebastianci
Aspirant

Thanks

Sebastian

Message 12 of 19
SamirD
Prodigy

The EXOS is the enterprise line, this particular drive is the basic 7200rpm 2.5M MTBF 5yr warranty variety without any of the other features like full encryption or fips or anything like that.  

I have a lot of WD as well as HGST drives as well.  I usually pick up drives that are deeply discounted through authorized distributors (usually open-box returns).  They come with a full warranty, but sometimes may have been returned for an intermittent problem that didn't show up when the returns processing checked it before listing it.  In these cases, it's just a simple warranty issue--which by the way, a warranteed drive gets the remainder of the original warranty so you don't lose anything.  And in fact, if a drive is about to go out of warranty, the replacement drive will have either the remainer of the existing warranty or 90 days, whichever is more.

Sometimes these drives also get banged around a bit from improper packaging since they usually do not have the original packaging.  I don't think that was the case for this drive and didn't know if there was an issue with these drives and the ReadyNas as I know certain nas units are picky (ahem...synology...ahem...).

I ran tests on the drive with a computer and seatools after removing it from the ReadyNas and it failed some tests, so I'm sending it back for replacment.  I plan to try the replacment in the ReadyNas and expect it to work well this time as the previous drive would work intermittently.

Message 13 of 19
sebastianci
Aspirant

Hi sorry to reopen the case,

I got brand new EXOS 7E8 8TB , but this time I have not inserted it to NAS but connected to PC and run :

crystal - OK

seatools all ok apart from SCT Write Same Erase test , it fails after approx a minute. Do you reckon it is something wrong with Seatools or I am super unlucky and got second bad drive in a row? What do you think?

------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.7 ---------------
10/06/2020 18:52:54
Model Number: ST8000NM000A-2KE101
Serial Number: WKD1GQWF
Firmware Revision: SN02
SMART - Started 10/06/2020 18:52:54
SMART - Pass 10/06/2020 18:53:00
Short DST - Started 10/06/2020 18:53:50
Short DST - Pass 10/06/2020 18:54:52
Identify - Started 10/06/2020 18:55:11
Long Generic - Started 10/06/2020 18:55:39
Long Generic - Pass 11/06/2020 05:56:24
Long Generic - Started 11/06/2020 07:04:32
SCT Write Same Erase - Started 11/06/2020 07:07:38
SCT Write Same Erase - FAIL 11/06/2020 07:54:15
Overwrite Erase - Started 11/06/2020 09:03:02
Overwrite Erase - Pass 11/06/2020 20:10:47
Fix All Long - Started 12/06/2020 10:16:24
Fix All Long - Pass 12/06/2020 21:23:17
SCT Write Same Erase - Started 13/06/2020 09:57:33
SCT Write Same Erase - FAIL 13/06/2020 09:58:46

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@sebastianci wrote:

Fix All Long - Started 12/06/2020 10:16:24
Fix All Long - Pass 12/06/2020 21:23:17

Personally I wouldn't have run this, as I don't actually want Seatools to try to "fix" a new drive (or really any drive).

@sebastianci wrote:

I got brand new EXOS 7E8 8TB , but this time I have not inserted it to NAS but connected to PC and run :

crystal - OK

seatools all ok apart from SCT Write Same Erase test , it fails after approx a minute. Do you reckon it is something wrong with Seatools or I am super unlucky and got second bad drive in a row? What do you think?

SCT Write Same Erase - Started 11/06/2020 07:07:38
SCT Write Same Erase - FAIL 11/06/2020 07:54:15

Overwrite Erase - Started 11/06/2020 09:03:02
Overwrite Erase - Pass 11/06/2020 20:10:47
SCT Write Same Erase - Started 13/06/2020 09:57:33
SCT Write Same Erase - FAIL 13/06/2020 09:58:46

How is the drive connected to the PC? Are you using SATA, or a USB adapter?

Since it passed the full overwrite erase and the long read test, I am thinking it might be an issue with the setup, and not the drive.

But I am a bit worried, as the first "same erase" test ran nearly an hour, unlike the second one, which ran less than a minute. You could contact Seagate as they must have seen this before.  Maybe in the meantime, run another short test and another full erase overwrite, and confirm that they still pass.

As a reminder, you don't want to RMA the drive to seagate - if it does turn out to be bad, you do want to exchange it instead.

Message 15 of 19
sebastianci
Aspirant

Thanks

Drive is connected to SATA on the mother board.

Yes I run "fix" as I thought that some bad sectors need fixing for SCT test.

Will create case for segate and let you know the outcome., Short generic has passed, long Overwrite Erase is going on.

Thanks

Message 16 of 19
SamirD
Prodigy

Sounds like you got a second bad drive that sounds like it's mine, lol.  (Can't be though since Seagate hasn't gotten mine yet. :))

I would simply exchange it again if you're running it straight sata in a computer and are running into these issues, even if intermittent.

Message 17 of 19
sebastianci
Aspirant

Case confirmed by CCL:  SECOND FAULTY EXOS drive in a row! I will get full refund. It looks at least for this line of drives quality control of Segate is poor. I will not be going for exos anymore, thanks for help.

Message 18 of 19
SamirD
Prodigy

Hey, it's not just you!  My replacement 8tb sounded like it was crunching when I first powered it up in a drive dock to see if it would spin up.  This wouldn't happen if they wouldn't just use the same box as it comes in off the pallet.  A pallet of drives like this will survive bumps, but shipping individual units that will be thrown--no way!

While I was waiting for my 8TB, I found a deal on a 12TB exos.  Works like a charm on 4.2.28 showing 0% of 10TB used on the front page, and showing 11176GB in health status as well as "11,885,420,335,104 bytes free". 🙂  Can't wait to get my other drive back and pair it with this one and see what happens. 😄

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements