× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN316 & 6.5.0 - horrible performance

nickcasa
Aspirant

RN316 & 6.5.0 - horrible performance

I've been using RN's for over 5 years now so I know they very well.  I have 10 units running 6.2.4 with no issues, I upgraded one to 6.5.0 and the performance is aweful.  I'm not talking about copy'ing files either, that's a pipe dream at this point, I can't even browse the web UI.  I constantly get "connecting to the readynas admin page"  no extra apps are turned on, just an smb share for a few files, but that doesnt even work now after this upgrade.  can i downgrade back to 6.2.4?  is anyone else experiencing issues like this?  even if i can downgrade, i dont know how it'll work thru the web ui since it is so un-responsive.  i was able to download the logs after 30 minutes of refreshing and battling with it.  i am running a single nic with 100mb, ip4, ipv6 disabled.  pings to the unit never drop.....im really upset with this

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN216 & 6.5.0 - horrible performance

You meant RN316, correct?

@nickcasa wrote:

I've been using RN's for over 5 years now so I know they very well.  I have 10 units running 6.2.4 with no issues, I upgraded one to 6.5.0 and the performance is aweful.  I'm not talking about copy'ing files either, that's a pipe dream at this point, I can't even browse the web UI.  I constantly get "connecting to the readynas admin page"  no extra apps are turned on, just an smb share for a few files, but that doesnt even work now after this upgrade.  can i downgrade back to 6.2.4?  is anyone else experiencing issues like this?  even if i can downgrade, i dont know how it'll work thru the web ui since it is so un-responsive.  i was able to download the logs after 30 minutes of refreshing and battling with it.  i am running a single nic with 100mb, ip4, ipv6 disabled.  pings to the unit never drop.....im really upset with this

The NAS does need to compute btrfs quotas as part of the upgrade - which is done in the background later on.  So that needs to complete before you get full performance back.  If your volume is very old, then a factory reset might also help - there were some settings changed along the way, some of which seem to matter more now then they did then.

I did a reset on my RN102 during 6.4.x, and there was a signifcant speed boost afterwords.

Message 2 of 10
nickcasa
Aspirant

Sorry, yes RN316.  Typo

Message 3 of 10
nickcasa
Aspirant

the firmware update wa done almost 2 weeks ago, even so, how would that affect the UI from barely being usable?

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@nickcasa wrote:

the firmware update wa done almost 2 weeks ago, even so, how would that affect the UI from barely being usable?

The UI is affected because it runs at low priority, so any background process slows UI performance.

But it should have completed long before now.   I suggest contacting support (support.netgear.com).  Someone from Netgear here might also request logs or even take a courtesy look. 

If you purchased new between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016 you are entitled to free email support. If not, if you contact them you should stress that this issue was caused by the upgrade.

Message 5 of 10
nickcasa
Aspirant

Product is under 6 months old, however how do I get free email support?  Support is currently doing the $75 support (assuming this is per incident)?  If I factory default the NAS will the firmware fall to a lower level?  I don't care about the data, I have it all backed up, I just want to get it back to 6.2.4 as my other units.  How can I accomplish that quickly?

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@nickcasa wrote:

Product is under 6 months old, however how do I get free email support?  Support is currently doing the $75 support (assuming this is per incident)?  If I factory default the NAS will the firmware fall to a lower level?  I don't care about the data, I have it all backed up, I just want to get it back to 6.2.4 as my other units.  How can I accomplish that quickly?

See http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26066/~/readynas-support-and-warranty

Note the section at the bottom: *Lifetime chat is offered for the products indicated on this table only if they were purchased between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016.  RN316 models are all starred, so you are entitled to lifetime chat.  You might need proof-of-purchase of course.  One person here found that he had to use email - support seemed be be confused on what he was entitled to.  He still got free email support though.

They won't downgrade you to 6.2.4 (they don't recommend it) but they should be able to help.  If you were to downgrade on your own you'd need a factory reset anyway.

Message 7 of 10
nickcasa
Aspirant

Thank you for your help, so a factory reset would put me back at a lower version you're saying?  Sounds like a downgrade by me is out of the question.  

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@nickcasa wrote:

Thank you for your help, so a factory reset would put me back at a lower version you're saying?

No, I wasn't trying to say that.

There is a way (strongly discourgaged by Netgear) to go back to 6.2.4, but it requires one (possibly two) factory resets.  There is risk, which is why Netgear says not to do it - and why the 6.5 firmware won't let you install it manually.

If you do a factory reset now, it might well solve your problem - but you will still be running 6.5.0

But I'd try your free chat support first, and have Netgear take a look.  If they can fix it, it should be much quicker than rebuilding the NAS.  If not, you don't lose much time.

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN316 & 6.5.0 - horrible performance

The unit is showing a questionable purchase date based on the presumed shelf life so support requested PoP to verify the support entitlement. If was purchased back when you said it was then it would indeed still be covered by lifetime chat support but theattachment provided was insufficient. Support requires a copy of the invoice to verify PoP not a screen grab of a portion of a screen.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements