× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN424 Pin3 and Power Disable in new HDD

GPCasali
Tutor

RN424 Pin3 and Power Disable in new HDD

Greetings Netgear Forums from Australia!

Apologies for starting a new thread, but the two that cover the same problem have been closed.

Currently my RN424 has 4 x 4TB WD Red Pro disks reaching capacity.

Ordered and received brand new 4 x 10TB WD (HGST) Ultrastar Helium Series DC HC510 - HUH721010ALE600.

These are listed as compatible with RN424 on Netgear support.

After speaking with WD at length, they cannot confirm whether the specific disk part number (0F27477) has PWDIS or not.  Some server parts outlets and NewEgg list this PN as having PWDIS, others don't specify, so it is a bit of a mystery at this stage.  I have not opened the static bag yet, in case I need to return them to Amazon want to ensure a full refund. It is almost impossible to be guaranteed to receive the exact PN you ordered, so it is luck of the draw... quite frustrating!

As I got these at a very good price and WD confirmed full 5 year warranty (using a Malaysian location for RMA) I would prefer to keep them.  So my only option now is to make absolutely clear, beyond any doubt, that the Netgear RN424 built in 2018 does NOT provide any power to Pin3 of the backplane SATA connectors.

WD documentation states that if there is NO power to Pin3 then the HDD will not be able to use the PWDIS function (hard reset).  However, should there be ANY current on Pin3 there is always a "chance" the disks may not spin up or get stuck in a hard reset loop.

Would anyone from Netgear or other forum users with knowledge please confirm whether ReadyNAS chassis build before 2019 are SATA Rev3.2 (or earlier) and do not supply any current to Pin3 of the SATA backplane?

Many thanks in advance.

PS: If confirmed, I am happy to open the bags, install the drives, see what happens and report back.  Cannot even try just one drive, as the hard reset loop issue may not manifest in one but may in another, so there are no guarantees until all four have been installed.  Considering the time required to rebuild the array, it will be a while before I report back here, so hopefully the thread won't be closed...

Cheers
Paul

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN424 Pin3 and Power Disable in new HDD

I have never seen any ReadyNAS that has 3.3V going to the SATA backplane at all, and don't know why Netgear would make the 424 any different.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

As far as I know, your NAS doesn't put any power on the PWDIS pin.

Also, there are a couple folks who've reported success with your drive model in their ReadyNAS - including one RN422 owner.  And as you say, the drives are on the HCL.

Message 2 of 6
GPCasali
Tutor

Thanks StephenB

Just wondering if there is anyone from Netgear willing to comment at all...

Will have to pull the trigger and test with one drive, hopefully won't need to return!

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

I have never seen any ReadyNAS that has 3.3V going to the SATA backplane at all, and don't know why Netgear would make the 424 any different.

Message 4 of 6
GPCasali
Tutor

Cheers SandShark

Have now hot swapped channel 4 with the HGST 10TB Helium drive.

It powered up immediately, was correctly recognised and initialised.

Estimated time to complete resync: 9hrs... and the rest.

Will post back if anything changes.

Thank you both.

Cheers
Paul

Message 5 of 6
GPCasali
Tutor

Ok folks

Exactly 12 hours later Channel 4 is fully resync'd, now swapping out Channel 3.

Seems that, as indicated by Stephen and SandShark, the RN424 has no voltage on Pin3, therefore has no issues running a "Power Disable" (PWDIS) enabled disk drive.

Hopefully this will be of assistance to others, keeping in mind new motherboards sporting the recent SATA standard v.3.2 (and higher), will have a 3.3V supply going to Pin3 of the SATA power connector, hence the power disable feature will be active/available on such drives.

Cheers
Paul

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements