× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RND 4000 will not boot RMA 1076365

theheat
Aspirant

RND 4000 will not boot RMA 1076365

Hi Everyone,

My original NV+ died a couple of weeks ago. Would not boot but fan still ran. Tried OS reinstalls to no aveil. Recieved a replacement and followed instructions to migrate disks. Unit ran for 24 hours and died. Same symptoms. No LED activity but fan still ran.

Recieved my 3rd unit this morning. Powered it on with no disks and it booted fine until the LCD screen on the front displayed no disks. Appeared on RAIDAR. Powered it on with my 3 x 2TB disks and it works for about a second then died.

Any ideas? Could a bad hard disk pull the NAS down? How can I test the hard drives? Is there some way I can test the power supply?

Cheers
BC
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would suggest you continue to work with NetGear support. Normally if there's a bad disk, the NAS would get stuck on booting, not die completely.

Are you able to try powering off, removing your disks (label order) and attempting to boot with a spare disk (must not be in your array) and see if that works fine (will help rule out a bad chassis)?
Message 2 of 14
theheat
Aspirant

I wil have buy a new hard drive and try it. Dont have any spare.

The original unit used to get stuck booting every now and then. Had to do a FW re install a couple of times etc. But I never got any alaerts re a bad disk.

Would it be worth buying a cheap caddy and put each drive into it just to power it on? My thinking here is blowing a $20 caddy is better than blowing up an expensive NAS. That would hopefully rule out a disk with a short in it?

Appreciate your feedback mdgm
Message 3 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could connect the disks to an internal SATA port in your PC and check them using e.g. SeaTools for SeaGate disks or WD Lifeguard Diagnostics for Western Digital disks.
Message 4 of 14
theheat
Aspirant

So there is no chance a disk could do the smae thing to my laptop? BTW my laptop has eSATA. Is that the same thing?
Message 5 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No eSATA is not the same thing. Vendor tools (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/hardware/how_can_i_verify_that_my_disk_is_bad) may fail to detect a disk that is not connected directly to an internal SATA port or fail to work properly with them.
Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

theheat wrote:
So there is no chance a disk could do the smae thing to my laptop? BTW my laptop has eSATA. Is that the same thing?
With all due respect to mdgm, I have used my laptop's eSATA port with both WD and Seagate test tools with no problems.

eSATA has identical protocol and signaling mechanisms as SATA. The cable generally has a bit more shielding and the connector is different.

Since the internal drive you are testing has a SATA connector you will need an SATA->eSATA cable (easily found), and you will also need to power the drive (I use the power supply that came with a USB/SATA adapter for that).

So if you have the needed cables and power, I would give it a try. If the drive isn't recognized, etc. you can then decide if you want to fall back to an internal SATA port.
Message 7 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That is a fair point. Do just be aware that it may/may not work depending on what your hardware is. With some hardware it works with some it doesn't.
Message 8 of 14
theheat
Aspirant

RIghto, Bought a SATA to USB converter. Ran tests on all 3 drives.

Drive 1 failed the test. results:
Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD20EARS-00J2GB0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAYY0047328
Firmware Number: 80.00A80
Capacity: 2000.40 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: ABORT
Test Time: 11:49:54, February 25, 2012

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 105 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Test Time: 11:59:03, February 25, 2012

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 105 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Test Time: 12:03:20, February 25, 2012

Drives 2 and 3 passed.

I also bought a new 2TB drive just in case. Now I am lost as to how to go about this
Message 9 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The NAS may boot with just disks 2 and 3 installed (same slots as before) however the migration procedure specifically states that your volume must be redundant to be migrated.

Edit: also one would think SATA to USB would be less likely to work than eSATA or an internal SATA port but it appears it probably worked in your case.
Message 10 of 14
theheat
Aspirant

So do I just power it up with original drives in 2& 3 ans see how it goes. Then insert the new drive into slot 1 once it boots?

Sorry if these are basic questions. But I dont want to stuff anything up
Message 11 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That may/may not work, I would suggest seeking advice from tech support before trying something like that.

If you do try it monitor the NAS in RAIDar (http://www.readynas.com/downloads). If when you click setup your are taken to a dialog box to choose RAID modes (rather than to Frontview) power down the NAS immediately, disconnecting the power if need be.
Message 12 of 14
theheat
Aspirant

After a lengthy phonecall with tech support they suggested I do the following:
Power up the nas
put the first hard drive into bay 1 and wait for it to sync
Do the same for drives 2 and 3.

After this process the NAS did come online with no issues. Must have just been a couple of dubious replacements I got from Netgear.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help guys. Hopefully we dont have any more issues
Message 13 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With those instructions I assume you had a good backup?
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements