× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RND2000-2000NAS unable to reload the OS after brand new hard drives

bigwen12
Aspirant

RND2000-2000NAS unable to reload the OS after brand new hard drives

Hello, to whomI am having a problem with reloading the OS for my RND2000-200NAS. I had to replace both of my hard drives due to hard drive failure. I am following all of the steps to get it back online. Nothing is workingPRODUCT NUMBER: RND2000-200NASSERIAL NUMBER: 2UM221EB00188MAC 1 E0469AA09574MODEL NUMBER: RND-2B

Message 1 of 18
jennymartein
Aspirant

It sounds like there may be an issue with the hard drives or the way they are being installed in the RND2000-2000NAS device. It would be best to check the documentation for the device to see if there are specific instructions for installing new hard drives, and to ensure that the hard drives are compatible with the device. If the hard drives are compatible and properly installed and you still unable to reload the OS, you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

Message 2 of 18
bigwen12
Aspirant

Thanks for this reply. All of that has been done. And I am waiting for a reply from support team.

Message 3 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

This is a user-to-user forum, not official Netgear support.

Are the drives in question formatted?  If so, use a PC to remove all partitions and try again.  You should not have to do anything special to install the OS to the new drives.

Does RAIDar show the NAS at all and the drives as present, or "no disks"?  Can you get into Dashboard at all?  If it doesn't show the NAS at all, does it with no drives installed?

Are you 100% sure your drives failed and not the NAS itself?  Or maybe the power supply?  Have you tested the new drives?  It's unlikely you got two bad ones, but I suppose it could happen.

Message 4 of 18
bigwen12
Aspirant

Are the drives in question formatted? YES

If so, use a PC to remove all partitions and try again.

You should not have to do anything special to install the OS to the new drives.

Does RAIDar show the NAS at all and the drives as present, or "no disks"? YES (I am getting CORRUPT ROOT)

Can you get into Dashboard at all? NO

If it doesn't show the NAS at all, does it with no drives installed?

Are you 100% sure your drives failed and not the NAS itself? DO NOT KNOW

Or maybe the power supply? POWER IS ON

Have you tested the new drives? YES

It's unlikely you got two bad ones, but I suppose it could happen. MAYBE TEST SAY NO

Message 5 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

Then you need to unformat the drives -- remove any partitions they contain -- or perform a factory default.  Refer to page 27 of the hardware manual: ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_23-Mar-12.pdf .   The NAS uses it's own drive formatting, and the existing format is confusing it.

Message 6 of 18
bigwen12
Aspirant

unformat the drives -- remove any partitions they contain -- 

What do you mean (unformat). The drives do not have any partitions they are just wiped out. I wiped them using windows 10 (I Did not do any (create partitions) on them.

Message 7 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Try doing the factory default procedure on pages 16-17 of the manual here:

Message 8 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

I said to unformat them because you replied that they were, in fact, already formatted, though you now seem to believe they are not.  How did you "wipe them with Windows 10"?  Windows itself will not typically "wipe" a drive with no partitions, though there are programs that run under it that can.  So whether you created one or the drive was purchased with one already present, there may be a partition there.  That is consistent with the error you are getting.

But you don't seem to have even considered the second option, which @StephenB has also suggested.

Message 9 of 18
bigwen12
Aspirant

Thanks for that information about windows and that it's not a true wipe of the hard drives. As of right now the drivers are being wiped clean. I will test when they are done. The second part of your quote yes I did. I did read those instructions before posting IE this is why i posted my issue because it's NOT CLEAR with those instructions. Also had to find a youtube video to make sense of it.
Message 10 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@bigwen12 wrote:
 it's NOT CLEAR with those instructions. 

What are you finding unclear?

Message 11 of 18
bigwen12
Aspirant

Does anyone know how to get the ReadyNAS RAIDiator 5.3 to work in Windows 11

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@bigwen12 wrote:

Does anyone know how to get the ReadyNAS RAIDiator 5.3 to work in Windows 11

RAIDiator 5.3 is NAS firmware - it is installed on the NAS, and not in Windows.  

Are you confusing RAIDiator with RAIDar?

Message 13 of 18
bigwen12
Aspirant

Sorry about, that yes which one works with WINDOWS 11?

Message 14 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@bigwen12 wrote:

which one works with WINDOWS 11?

RAIDar.

Message 15 of 18
bigwen12
Aspirant

Sorry to say no its does not the dashboard does not open in any browsers load into Windows 11. Netgear techs should know this. 

Message 16 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

That Dashboard does not open in your browser has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not RAIDar works.  Can you see the NAS in RAIDar and what status does it report?  RAIDar also has nothing at all to do with an OS re-install using the reset button.

The browser issue is related to TLS 1.0, and there are dozens of messages in the forum about work-arounds for that.  But step one is getting your NAS to boot and install the OS to the new drives.  Has that been accomplished?

And FYI, neither @StephenB nor I work for Netgear in any capacity.  But we do know what does and does not work to resolve your problem, unless there is a hardware issue with the NAS.

Message 17 of 18
bigwen12
Aspirant

Update I found out one of the hard drives is bad I have ordered a replacement. I will get back when I have the new hard drive and installed it. Currently I have the one hard drive install up and working after the OS Install. I can see the status from the RAIDar it status it's healthy.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements