× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS Snapshots and ReadyDR

ChrisMayers
Aspirant

Ready NAS Snapshots and ReadyDR

Hi fellow ReadyNASers,

Just a quick(?) question. Does anyone know where I can find a good article or discussion about how Snapshots work on a ReadyNas, and more specifically how they work in conjunction with ReadyDR.

What I'm really concerned with is the implications if ReadyDR fails to copy a snapshot, will subsequent snapshots still work properly? Or to put it another way, are Snapshots independant of each other, or are they reliant on previous ones (like incremental backups in other backup solutions rely on previous incrementals).

Thanks,

Chris.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready NAS Snapshots and ReadyDR

@ChrisMayers wrote:

Or to put it another way, are Snapshots independant of each other, or are they reliant on previous ones (like incremental backups in other backup solutions rely on previous incrementals).

The files in the snapshots share common data blocks.  So they are not independent of each other, or of the main share.  This post should give you a sense of how they work:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-312-Need-Help-Understandin...

However, that doesn't mean that the ReadyDR backup collapses if a snapshot is skipped.  ReadyDR uses btrfs send and btrfs receive.  They should figure out the delta between what's in the source snapshot and what's already on the destination ReadyNAS, and update the destination to match the source.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired
StephenB
Guru

@ChrisMayers wrote:

Or to put it another way, are Snapshots independant of each other, or are they reliant on previous ones (like incremental backups in other backup solutions rely on previous incrementals).

The files in the snapshots share common data blocks.  So they are not independent of each other, or of the main share.  This post should give you a sense of how they work:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-312-Need-Help-Understandin...

However, that doesn't mean that the ReadyDR backup collapses if a snapshot is skipped.  ReadyDR uses btrfs send and btrfs receive.  They should figure out the delta between what's in the source snapshot and what's already on the destination ReadyNAS, and update the destination to match the source.

Message 3 of 4
ChrisMayers
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies guys,

It sounds like it does work kind of how I though it did, so if my ReadyDR backups fail when copying the odd snapshot then everything should still be ok.

For anyone reading this that just wants a clearer understanding on how snapshots work, I found this thread very helpful:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-312-Need-Help-Understandin...

Thanks again,

Chris.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements