× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready Nas NV+ V2 RND4000 SSD drives

GALLOPER
Follower

Ready Nas NV+ V2 RND4000 SSD drives

Are there any recommended SSD drives for the NV+ V2 RND4000? either 500GB or 1TB?
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready Nas NV+ V2 RND4000 SSD drives

There are none on the HCL.

I've seen a post from Chirpa suggesting that the SMART stats might create an issue. I've also seen one post indicating that the poster had installed SSDs successfully in an ultra 6.

Does anyone know if the ReadyNAS is SSD-aware (uses trim, etc) ???
Message 2 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

Galloper - while a nice theoretical concept, in practice, I don't think you would gain any advantage in speed. The Ultra and Pro lines are already capable of saturating a gigabit network connection with SATA drives. While most drives available today are SATAII or 3Gb/s, even the older no longer available SATAI or 1.5Gb/s drives can do it. Of course many of todays available drives are at the SATAIII level of 6Gb/s. The gigabit network is only 1Gb/s.
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

PapaBear wrote:
The Ultra and Pro lines are already capable of saturating a gigabit network connection with SATA drives.
That is true for sequential read/writes, it is not true for random access. For instance, a typical green drive can read about 50-60 IOPS (I/O per second). A Crucial SSD can read 50,000 IOPS - 1000x faster. So SSDs do have some advantages even for network drives. The big issue of course is the price per GB.
Message 4 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

And how effective that additional IOPS is in achieving additional throughput in file transfer across the network. We are not talking about internal speed, but whether the additional speed can be seen in additional speed across the network. Considering that the green drives achieving 50-60 IOPS seem to fully saturate the gigabit network, then what good is the additional internal speed?
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

PapaBear wrote:
And how effective that additional IOPS is in achieving additional throughput in file transfer across the network. We are not talking about internal speed, but whether the additional speed can be seen in additional speed across the network. Considering that the green drives achieving 50-60 IOPS seem to fully saturate the gigabit network, then what good is the additional internal speed?
The IOPS test for green drives is doing 4 Kbyte transfers. So the total throughput for that test is < 250 KB/sec (4K * 60 = 240 KByte), which is of course much less than gigabit ethernet can carry.

Anyway, the main point I am making is that while an x86 or ARM NAS can saturate the gigabit network when transferring large files, the performance falls off very quickly if you are transferring small files or making changes to a database on the NAS. For those usages, the NAS is not limited by the network, it is limited by the disk speed. SSD drives were originally developed to overcome that bottleneck for mainframes (and later on servers).
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements