× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 102 - Sharing Folders

jwgmorley
Aspirant

A combination of ways. Tablets and wired smart tv's, (DNLA compatible lol)

Message 26 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Most Smart TVs use DLNA.  There are other options with tablets, but the TVs are often more limited.

It's a bit odd that DLNA can't be turned off for a share.  You can move the photo into a new share with DLNA off, delete the old one, and then optionally rename the new one to match the name. 

You could also switch to plex, and turn off ReadyDLNA.  It also can act as a DLNA server (and many Smart TVs have a native plex app).  

Plex supports user accounts, so you can set up access controls.  But of course when plex is configured to act as a DLNA server, those features can't be used.

Message 27 of 28
jwgmorley
Aspirant

I've kinda sorted it.

On one part I think I was being silly trying to untick the DNLA option within the section that gives you 4 choices. All I needed to do was move the slider to off within the DNLA section which sorted this particular issues.

With regards to sharing folders. Because of what the DNLA issue threw up I've now made a folder I wish to share with DNLA protocol and put a shortcut of said folder onto the persons desktop. Seeing as they will be scanning docs which aren't really sensitive and just need to be saved then it doesn't matter if anyone can view these.

I've had my 102 for nearly 5 years now and I can't fault it however the folder sharing issue seems bizarre. I'm just glad that this isn't something that's critical to me.

Message 28 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements