× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 214 4 Bay expandability

whclcdr_sav
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 214 4 Bay expandability

Hello.  My readyNAS214 4 bay is starting to full up.  Currently, I have 4 disk each 2 TB.  I was curious how I could expand this system in terms of total storage.  Can I increase the storage by replacing disk one by one ( with more capacity) or do I have do do this all at once?  Also, what is the max storage this system can be expanded to and what is the best types of drives for this system that will not "break the bank"?  Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@whclcdr_sav wrote:

Can I increase the storage by replacing disk one by one ( with more capacity) or do I have do do this all at once?  

You need to replace two disks with the larger size - you can then upgrade the other two later on.

Total capacity is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  So today you have 8 - 2 = 6 TB (~5.45 Tib). Replacing two disks with 8 TB would give you 20 - 8 = 12 TB (10.9 TiB).

How large the disks need to be depends in part on how quickly your storage is growing.  But something between 4 tB and 8 TB is probably sensible for you.

Often getting somewhat larger drives now will work out cheaper in the long run.  For example, you could double your storage either by getting four 4TB drives or two 8 TB drives.  Both options cost about the same now (at least in the US).  But the 8 TB option would make the next expansion cheaper (just upgrade the third drive to 8 TB, and you will grow the volume from 12 to 16 TB).

@whclcdr_sav wrote:

what is the best types of drives for this system that will not "break the bank"?  Thanks

I recommend Seagate Ironwolf and Western Digital Red Plus for your NAS.  Both will perform well, so you could just get whichever has the best price .  Avoid the Western Digital Reds.  Most desktop drives in the 2-6TB drive (and the Reds) use SMR technology, which is not well suited to OS-6 ReadyNAS.

8 TB Ironwolf or Red Plus drives are about $150 each in the US at the moment, 6 TB models are about $120, and 4 TB models are about $75.  So you are looking at $150-$300 for a pair.

@whclcdr_sav wrote:

Also, what is the max storage this system can be expanded to 

There is no known capacity limit.  

@whclcdr_sav wrote:

Can I increase the storage by replacing disk one by one ( with more capacity) or do I have do do this all at once?  

If you are upgrading a pair (as I suggested above), then you hot-swap one disk  (NAS running), and wait for the sync to be completed.  Then hot-swap the second, and it will resync again.  The second resync will take longer, because the NAS is expanding your storage (and not just resyncing).

Netgear recommends backing up the NAS before doing this.  I agree - and think everyone who owns a NAS should have a backup plan in place.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@whclcdr_sav wrote:

You need to replace two disks with the larger size - you can then upgrade the other two later on.

Total capacity is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  So today you have 8 - 2 = 6 TB (~5.45 Tib). Replacing two disks with 8 TB would give you 20 - 8 = 12 TB (10.9 TiB).

How large the disks need to be depends in part on how quickly your storage is growing.  But something between 4 tB and 8 TB is probably sensible for you.

Often getting somewhat larger drives now will work out cheaper in the long run.  For example, you could double your storage either by getting four 4TB drives or two 8 TB drives.  Both options cost about the same now (at least in the US).  But the 8 TB option would make the next expansion cheaper (just upgrade the third drive to 8 TB, and you will grow the volume from 12 to 16 TB).

@whclcdr_sav wrote:

what is the best types of drives for this system that will not "break the bank"?  Thanks

I recommend Seagate Ironwolf and Western Digital Red Plus for your NAS.  Both will perform well, so you could just get whichever has the best price .  Avoid the Western Digital Reds.  Most desktop drives in the 2-6TB drive (and the Reds) use SMR technology, which is not well suited to OS-6 ReadyNAS.

8 TB Ironwolf or Red Plus drives are about $150 each in the US at the moment, 6 TB models are about $120, and 4 TB models are about $75.  So you are looking at $150-$300 for a pair.

@whclcdr_sav wrote:

Also, what is the max storage this system can be expanded to 

There is no known capacity limit.  

@whclcdr_sav wrote:

If you are upgrading a pair (as I suggested above), then you hot-swap one disk  (NAS running), and wait for the sync to be completed.  Then hot-swap the second, and it will resync again.  The second resync will take longer, because the NAS is expanding your storage (and not just resyncing).

Netgear recommends backing up the NAS before doing this.  I agree - and think everyone who owns a NAS should have a backup plan in place.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

Message 2 of 6
whclcdr_sav
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your answer and your suggestion.  You are the second person to tell me WD Red was not a good choice for drives!  As for backing up, I synch my files each week with a portable drive so if there is a "disaster", I at least have a copy.

Message 3 of 6
whclcdr_sav
Aspirant

Hello Stephen:

Wanted to give you an update ( and to those reading a few pointers ).  First of all Stephen, thanks again for your advice and suggestions.  I did purchase three Seagate hard drives.  The first hot swap went like a charm and was done within 12 hours.  The second hard drive swapout took MUCH LONGER to resynch ( now going on for 19 hours but at 96% complete )

a few pointers to those out there:

- the hard drive ( Seagate ) I used is larger than the current drives in the NAS physicalsize wise.  Therefore, when you remove the old hard drive, ALSO REMOVE the plastic drive holder.  When you insert the new drive in the bracket, you will need two screws to anchor the drive to the bracket.  Find two flush metal screws from some spare screws you might have lying around from previous computers to use ( I always salvage screws so I literally have a big zip lock bag of them ).

- the 8 GB drives are a bit pricy but Newegg has them and if you purchase enough of them ( I purchased three ), you can apply for their credit and get 6 months interest free.  The shipment stated they would arrive by end of january but were at my door within 7 days!  NICE work guys!!!

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, some of the larger drives no longer have the middle mounting holes so as to allow a slightly larger platter.  On earlier model ReadyNAS, you have to mount using screws and can only use two.  If you don't have appropriate screws available, you can purchase a bag listed as for SuperMicro 3.5" pretty cheap on Amazon or eBay.  I wouldn't ship a NAS with drives mounted by just two screws, but they should hold fine for normal use.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@whclcdr_sav wrote:

- the hard drive ( Seagate ) I used is larger than the current drives in the NAS physicalsize wise.  Therefore, when you remove the old hard drive, ALSO REMOVE the plastic drive holder.  When you insert the new drive in the bracket, you will need two screws to anchor the drive to the bracket.  

Yes, there are cases where you need to remove the plastic insert.

Your NAS shipped with suitable screws (normal drive screws often don't end up flush).  As @Sandshark says, you can purchase replacements.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements