× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 214 Copy over network performance woes

andez2000
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 214 Copy over network performance woes

I am trying to copy files over my network to the ReadyNAS 214.  I see other people have had troubles with this too.  I have looked at the other help articles and nothing has worked for me.

I have experienced transfer rates of around 11MB/sec when using Windows Explorer to copy from my Windows 10 desktop.  This is from an SSD on my desktop.  I have also used the NASTester_17 tool which also has the same speeds.  I have then used FTP to transfer large files ~1GB, and this too has the same transfer speeds of 11mb/sec.

Having physically moved the NAS downstrairs, my transfer rates are 5MB/sec.  I have tried changing settings as recommended in other posts and just feel I am going round in circles.  I have tried different cat 5e ethernet cables from the NAS to the port switches and that did not make any differences to the speed.

5mb/sec setup

Desktop computer is connected through an ethernet cable (cat 5e) to a Netgear ProSafe 10/100 switch.  The switch runs through a On Networks power line adapter down to my SkyTV router.  The SkyTV router is connected to another Netgear G5208 switch which the ReadyNas is connected to through a cat 5e cable.

11mb/sec setup

Desktop computer is connected through an ethernet cable (cat 5e) to a Netgear ProSafe 10/100 switch.  The switch runs through a On Networks power line adapter down to my SkyTV router.  This time the ReadyNas is connected to the ProSafe 10/100 switch.

ReadyNAS 214

Firmware: 6.10.3

Antivirus: disabled

File Search: disabled

Apps

SMB Plus (Max Protocol: SMB 3.1.1, Min Protocol: SMB: 2.1)

Oplocks: Enable

Write Options: (Preallocate: Disable, Strict Sync: Disable)

Security: (Restrict Anonymous: Disabled, SMB Encrypt: Disabled, Signing: Disabled)

Volumes

2 x WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0 (4TB each)

Services

SMB (Legacy Windows Discovery)

NFS (8 threads)

FTP

UPnP

HTTP

HTTPS

Network

eth0 - cat 5e ethernet cable connected

eth1 - cat 5e ethernet cable connected

DHCP, IPv4 and IPv6 enabled.

Bandwith indicates 1 Gbps

I think it has always been fairly sluggish since I bought it like 3 years ago, but now just looking into why so slow - or at least see if this kind of speed was expected.

If I run a speed test from my desktop computer (https://www.speedtest.net/) then I get a download of 37 mbps, and upload of 6.16 mbps.

HELP!

Model: RN214D43|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS 214 Copy over network performance woes

It's unclear where you are seeing "Bandwith indicates 1 Gbps", but you can't get 1GB speed from a 10/100 switch.  Those are one of your bottlenecks.  You don't give a model number or description of the power line adapters, but that appears to be another.  Many early ones were very slow (which you may not have noticed with only 100KB switches.  But even newer ones can be greatly affected by specific wiring.  In particular, if the power lines on each end are from different 120V buses at the breaker box.

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

It's unclear where you are seeing "Bandwith indicates 1 Gbps", but you can't get 1GB speed from a 10/100 switch.  Those are one of your bottlenecks.  

Correct.  In fact, you will end up with no more than 11-12 MB/sec if you have a 10/100 switch.  Gigabit switches are inexpensive, so personally I'd just upgrade the 10/100 switch to a gigabit model. 

@Sandshark wrote:

You don't give a model number or description of the power line adapters, but that appears to be another.  ...  But even newer ones can be greatly affected by specific wiring.  In particular, if the power lines on each end are from different 120V buses at the breaker box.

Powerline definitely depends on the wiring (and older adapters definitely are slower).  I've played with it some, and found some surprisingly large differences between adjacent outlets.

Also, (like wifi), the link speed is much higher than the delivered throughput.

@andez2000: I suggest that you begin by moving the GS208 [gigabit] switch upstairs (along with the NAS), and measuring the speed with the PC and NAS connected to the same switch.  You can still connect to the Skybox as you are now (and can also move the 10/100 switch downstairs if you need the ports).

That should give you full speed when accessing the NAS from the PC.  So even if that won't work for you long term, it would allow us to confirm that the NAS is functioning properly - giving ~100 MB/sec on large file transfers.

Longer term, the best option is to install cat5e or better cable between the skybox and the upstairs, and to replace the 10/100 switch with a gigabit model. 

You could also look at upgrading the powerline.  What is the model of the current set of adapters?

A modern mesh wifi system (for instance Orbi) might also give you better performance than the powerline.  Though more expensive, it might also improve your whole-house wifi speed.  Though if your internet speed is less than your current powerline performance, then you could just leave the NAS upstairs.

Message 3 of 9
andez2000
Aspirant

I tired the wifes new laptop connected to the GS208 downstairs via ethernet cat 5e cable.  The transfer rate was around 11mbs.  This was with the ReadyNas connected to the same switch.

So no computers upstairs.  And (hopefully) not getting routed through the powerline.  However, I am not sure what cable is plugged between the GS208 and the router - I cannot see writing on either end.  But given the wife got 30mbps on speedtest.net on the laptop, I would assume the cable is ok?

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@andez2000 wrote:

I tired the wifes new laptop connected to the GS208 downstairs via ethernet cat 5e cable.  The transfer rate was around 11mbs.  This was with the ReadyNas connected to the same switch.

It should be much faster.  Do you mean 11 megabytes/s? (btw, it would be helpful if you use MBs for megabytes and mbs for megabits).

Did you test with NASTester?  Also, w/o Readycloud running on the PC?

Did you confirm that both the NAS and the laptop are getting a gigabit connection?

@andez2000 wrote:

However, I am not sure what cable is plugged between the GS208 and the router - I cannot see writing on either end.  

That shouldn't matter.  The switch will forward the traffic directly to the NAS (and vice versa).  It shouldn't be running through the router.

Message 5 of 9
andez2000
Aspirant

Correction - it was 11MB/sec sorry using Windows explorer.  Also no Ready Cloud installed.  Forget that though.

I also am testing my laptop connected directly to the GS208 port downstairs now.

My Laptop over wifi

I also used the NAS Tester from my laptop over wifi:

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 100MB file write on \\attesteddevnas\software once...
Average (W): 4.72 MB/sec
Running a 100MB file read on \\attesteddevnas\software once...
Average (R): 5.41 MB/sec

My Laptop over ethernet

Average (W): 110.13 MB/sec
Average (R): 104.71 MB/sec

So notably faster running ethernet to the port.

So it definitely worth replacing the 10/100 port upstairs for starters.  Then I can see what rates I get over the powerline adapters.

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@andez2000 wrote:

My Laptop over ethernet

Average (W): 110.13 MB/sec
Average (R): 104.71 MB/sec

This is what you should be seeing over gigabit.

@andez2000 wrote:

So it definitely worth replacing the 10/100 port upstairs for starters.  Then I can see what rates I get over the powerline adapters.

Is it practical to keep the NAS upstairs?  Then the powerline would only be for internet access (likely needing a much lower speed than the NAS).

@andez2000 wrote:

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Average (W): 4.72 MB/sec
Average (R): 5.41 MB/sec

Does the laptop support 802.11ac?  If it does, you might look into getting a wifi extender/wireless access point upstairs.

Message 7 of 9
andez2000
Aspirant

I was thinking about running an ethernet from downstairs to upstairs.  Would be non-intrusive.

Yes I am sure the laptop does support it although I just use my desktop upstairs.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@andez2000 wrote:

I was thinking about running an ethernet from downstairs to upstairs.  Would be non-intrusive.

If that is practical, then I'd definitely do that.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements