× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 214 volume is set to Read Only, please help.

Bencool
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 214 volume is set to Read Only, please help.

My ReadyNAS 214 suddenly set to Read Only, And when I go to the logs, it just said "Volume: The volume data encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data."

I have run the "Scrub" and "Disk Test" in the volume setting windows. However, it did not show any errors. 

I have attached the logs in the following link. Please help me out of this.

<redacted>

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Bencool wrote:

I have run the "Scrub" and "Disk Test" in the volume setting windows. However, it did not show any errors. 

Back up the data, as it is at risk.  Don't reboot the NAS until after you've done that - it is likely that the volume will fail to mount if you reboot.

Then we can help pursue troubleshooting.

I redacted your log link, as there is some privacy leakage - best to provide them via private message (PM) using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

I did download the log zip, and will take a look when I have a few minutes.

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Bencool:

Some of the logs have rotated, but I also am not seeing any disk issues on the data volume.  I am seeing issues with the btrfs metadata being corrupted.

Oct 07 00:15:20 bliao-readynas kernel: BTRFS error (device md127): cleaner transaction attach returned -30
Oct 07 00:29:35 bliao-readynas kernel: BTRFS error (device md127): parent transid verify failed on 23853767229440 wanted 2956556 found 4714624
Oct 07 00:29:35 bliao-readynas kernel: BTRFS warning (device md127): Skipping commit of aborted transaction.
Oct 07 00:29:35 bliao-readynas kernel: BTRFS: error (device md127) in cleanup_transaction:1864: errno=-5 IO failure
Oct 07 00:29:35 bliao-readynas kernel: BTRFS info (device md127): forced readonly
Oct 12 09:59:28 bliao-readynas kernel: BTRFS error (device md127): cleaner transaction attach returned -30
Oct 12 10:07:21 bliao-readynas kernel: BTRFS error (device md127): parent transid verify failed on 88637440 wanted 4714626 found 4714625

There are a lot of other transid verify errors, but most are duplicative (identical).

Best option here is to back up the data and then do a factory default.  After that, reconfigure the NAS, restore the data, reinstall apps.  While this is a lot of work, it ensures that you get a clean file system.

Since most of the errors are identical, it might be possible to repair.  But this is risky, so making a full backup first is important.

Although I am not seeing errors on the data volume drives, I am seeing errors on two usb drives:

Oct 06 22:17:38 bliao-readynas kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 15099759872
Oct 07 00:29:46 bliao-readynas kernel: EXT4-fs (sdf1): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
Oct 07 00:34:47 bliao-readynas kernel: EXT4-fs (sdf1): error count since last fsck: 824
Oct 07 00:34:47 bliao-readynas kernel: EXT4-fs (sdf1): initial error at time 1438131903: ext4_lookup:1051: inode 151724033
Oct 07 00:34:47 bliao-readynas kernel: EXT4-fs (sdf1): last error at time 1691675655: ext4_mb_generate_buddy:759
Oct 07 13:10:03 bliao-readynas kernel: EXT4-fs error (device sdf1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:759: group 37096, block bitmap and bg descriptor inconsistent: 1574 vs 1576 free clusters
Oct 07 13:10:03 bliao-readynas kernel: JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sdf1, blocknr = 0). There's a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.

and

Oct 12 10:09:52 bliao-readynas kernel: EXT4-fs (sdc1): error count since last fsck: 825
Oct 12 10:09:52 bliao-readynas kernel: EXT4-fs (sdc1): initial error at time 1438131903: ext4_lookup:1051: inode 151724033
Oct 12 10:09:52 bliao-readynas kernel: EXT4-fs (sdc1): last error at time 1696695003: ext4_mb_generate_buddy:759

It's possible this is the same drive (with a different drive letter).

Finally, the OS partiton appears to be fuller than usual.  Not yet dangerous, but still something to take a look at after the main issues are resolved.

=== df -h ===
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0        3.7G  2.0G  1.6G  57% /

Normally the OS is about 25% full.

Message 3 of 9
Bencool
Aspirant

Thank you so much for looking at it @StephenB. I am not concerned about the USB external disk errors for now. But the ReadyNAS volume set to ready-only with no significant errors makes me crazy. You are right, it seems the best option for now is backup the data and reset the NAS which is paint since I need to find 20TB of storage space to back up the data.

Many thank you to look at it and providing some advise. 

Message 4 of 9
Jackvd
Apprentice

Hi,

Funny enough I have the same problem....

It started around september 3.

After fooling around with my TimeMachine space in the evening, the next morning I got the 'volume data01 encountered an error and was made readonly.' error next morning.

The system also triggered a daily message that a USB device was connected. This normally doesn't happen, but since then it does everyday (like a service is started everyday).

I looked through the disklogs but didn't find any error's. Nothing on the disks either.

Making data backups was/ is not possible, because the system has to wright something to a readonly disk... 🙂

A reboot made no difference and a reinstall of the OS either.

I also performed a extensive disk test from the boot-menu.

Now, I am not eager to do a complete new setup and restore, since the system does not make a backup of the system itself (which I always found strange....) and it needs lots of manual configuration (like folders and so on).

But if that's what it takes, I will bite the bullet 🙂

I can share my logs if that is any help.

The system is a RN214 with 4 x 3TB - Seagate ST3000VN007

PS. I just looked at the system and kernel logs and they are filled with error's.... It doesn't mean anything to me, but perhaps it gives a clue to an expert 🙂

Thx!

Jack

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Jackvd wrote:

Making data backups was/ is not possible, because the system has to wright something to a readonly disk... 🙂

Not the case.  You can back up the data from a read-only volume.  That can either be done from ReadyNAS backup jobs, or by copying the files with other tools (one of several examples is freefilesync running on a PC). The backup job config files are in the OS partition (not on the data volume), and that should still be writable.

Your data is definitely at risk, so backing up the data ASAP is really important.  Rebooting the NAS often results in the volume not mounting at all.  Even if you are really careful not to shut it down or reboot, all it takes is a power glitch to force a reboot.  Also, a corrupted file system can trigger a crash.

@Jackvd wrote:

I can share my logs if that is any help.

PS. I just looked at the system and kernel logs and they are filled with error's.... It doesn't mean anything to me, but perhaps it gives a clue to an expert 🙂

I am willing to take a look.  Put the full zip in cloud storage (dropbox, etc), and send me a private message (PM) with a download link.  Send the PM using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.  Make sure the permissions are set so anyone with the link can download.

In most cases I will recommend a factory reset, as this is the best way to make sure you have a fully clean file system. 

Message 6 of 9
Jackvd
Apprentice

Hi StephenB,

Thx for replying so quickly.

I made a copy of the changed files to a Folder on my Mac, so that together with my backups will do.

But the Backup tool on the ReadyNAS is not working... The Backup tool does not see my attached USB backup drive. The external drive does show up as a volume, but does not show up in the tool.

I will put a link to the log-zip in a message.

I am pretty sure what the recommendation will be, but I can always hope 🙂

I am just curious on what the issue is.

Message 7 of 9
Bencool
Aspirant

@Jackvd  It seems I have exactly the same problem as you. I also do some TimeMachine space updating or deleting. After that, the data volumn is locked. 

If you could fix the problem instead of restoring the NAS, please let me know.

Message 8 of 9
Jackvd
Apprentice

@Bencool 

StephenB did look at my logs, but he couldn't find the root cause because the data didn't go back far enough.

That was probably my fault since I did perform a reinstall of the OS from the Bootmenu.

The other thing that didn't help is that my volume is encrypted and StephenB explained to me that he never had a setup like that.

Anyway; the logs showed massive checksum errors while writing so somehow the OS had a hick-up.

So I did a factory reset and reinstalled the complete system....

I did it before a couple of years ago after two of my disks got corrupt in my Raid5 setup 😞

I have backups of all my data and the system restored 2.7TB up until now. Probably another two days for it to complete.

Maybe your issue is different and if you have the complete logs, StephenB can have a look at them.

If you have to do a factory reset, make sure you follow the right sequence. There are instructions in the community that you can follow.

Sorry I couldn't help and good luck!

PS. it is weird though, that your problem sounds just like mine.....

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements