× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ after HDD upgrade

tominwi
Luminary

ReadyNAS NV+ after HDD upgrade

I decided to upgrade my NV+ V1 with 4.1.16 and X-RAID from qty 4 1TB drives to qty 4 2TB drives yesterday morning. Followed the Netgear recommendation to pull the 1st drive hot and replace it, and AFAICT this went swimmingly well in that I got all the right emails, starting with "Disk fail event", "Disk add event", and "Disk initialization started . The estimated time of completions is 17 hour(s).." culminating last evening with "Disk initialization successfully finished" and "Sync started on C" and some 4 hours later "RAID sync finished on volume C. The volume is now fully redundant". This happened around 2 a.m. this morning.

So I approached the NV+ this morning with the intent to pull Disk 2 and repeat the process, but found my NAS in Kernel panic. Had to pull the power cord as the power switch was unresponsive. Took 1/2 hour but the box booted, having done a FS and Quota check, and Frontview log timeline shows only the "RAID sync good--full redundancy" msg from 2am and my power pull "Improper shutdown..." and a new "RAID sync started" before a final "System is up" message a half hour later. The new 2TB drive shows up as Drive 1 and things seem OK to continue with replacement of Drive 2 EXCEPT...

The NV+ Act(ivity) LED is flashing rapidly!? What does anyone think my NAS is doing? Should I just wait it out to stop before continuing with Drive 2 replacement/upgrade?

Model: RND4410|ReadyNAS NV+ 4TB (4 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Does the log say that the RAID resync has completed?  You can also see this status by hovering over the disk and volume icons in Frontview and RAIDar.

Don't replace the second disk until the resync is done.

Message 2 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

Hmm dunno where to "hover over icons" but found under Volumes > RAID Configuration this Status "Resync 15% complete, Time to finish 4 hr 51 min, Speed 45.1 MB/sec" so I guess it is indeed doing something.

StephenB the Netgear kb I've read suggested to me that I could/should replace all disks and then restart. Was this wrong advice? Should I instead, after replacing each disk, do a restart and (apparently) Resync as it applears to be doing now?

Also, any thoughts on why my kernel panicked? 😉

Message 3 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@tominwi wrote:

StephenB the Netgear kb I've read suggested to me that I could/should replace all disks and then restart.

If you install all disks at once, then you are starting over.  You'd need to reconfigure the NAS (recreate user accounts, shares, install any add-ons, ...) and then restore all the ifles from a backup.  This can be faster than doing four resyncs.

The path you are on will preserve your data.  You replace one disk at a time, wait for the resync, and move on to the rest.  After the fourth disk is resynced, the volume should expand (perhaps requireing a NAS reboot to trigger it).

@tominwi wrote:

Hmm dunno where to "hover over icons" but found under Volumes > RAID Configuration this Status "Resync 15% complete, Time to finish 4 hr 51 min, Speed 45.1 MB/sec" so I guess it is indeed doing something.

Indeed.

If you look on the bottom of the Frontview page you will see a round icon labeled volume, and another block of icons labeled "disks".  You can hover your mouse over those icons, and it should give you the status.   

@tominwi wrote:

Also, any thoughts on why my kernel panicked? 😉

No. You should download the log zip file, there might be some clues in there. 

I suggest looking at the disk health before you proceed (clicking on the SMART+ control for each disk on the health page).  You can't use Chrome for this, as it will show you a blank pop-up.  IE or FireFox will work ok.

It would be wise to make sure you have an up-to-date backup of your files before resyncing the next disk.

Message 4 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

Thank you so much StephenB. I let the NV+ complete its resync, but then when I was looking at Frontview again:

1. Noticed the added 2TB drive did not cause there to be any expanded space availability. Is that normal--you did imply the volume would only expand upon syncing the 4 and final disk?

2. Frontview showed the disk as a 1TB disk just as the other three

3. Then while I was pondering this FV locked-up! Kernel panic!

Bah, it seems the RN does not like the disks I bought. At least, that is my assumption as I've never seen "kernel panic" in the many years I've owned this. Now, as I reboot the thing again having pulled power on it, I have my fingers crossed that when it's booted (doing yet another Quota Chk now)  I can just pull Drive 1 and put the original Drive 1 back into it and it should take-off and sync etc. i.e. welcome it back into the fold? In which case I will save these 2TB drives for a new NAS perhaps.

EDIT: And now its Resyncing yet again, this time inexplicably saying 12 hours where before it took just 4. Oh well. It says also due to Improper Shutdown I should reboot w/Vol Scan enabled. Maybe I will do that before I try re-installing the original 1TB Disk 1.

Message 5 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

You won't get any additional space until it completes re-sync with the second drive.  Right now, the additional 1TB of drive 1 has nothing to pair with for redundancy.

Message 6 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

Ah, thanks for that Sandshark.

Bummed that my Seagate ST2000NM0011 drives apparently aren't compatible. Very nice brand-new Enterprise drives for $35 bucks each!!!

Fingers crossed that I'll be able to replace my 1TB Disk 1 and the kernel panics go away.

Message 7 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

Well this has been a failure. After suffering KP and pulling the plug, then rebooting with Volume check enabled which was successful yesterday, I let it run overnight and all seemed OK until I tried to access with Frontview this morning and it locked-up again. I did download logs yesterday, having had two KPs before, but couldn't find anything of note in them--are there any specific places I should look?

Another question: I've been backing the entire volume C: to an external USB drive for years using rsync. If I have to start-over from scratch and recover those files to a "clean" NV+, how best to go about that?

Message 8 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

You won't get any additional space until it completes re-sync with the second drive.  Right now, the additional 1TB of drive 1 has nothing to pair with for redundancy.

As I said earlier, in the case of the NV+ v1, you won't get any space until all four drives are upgraded - it doesn't support mixed drive sizes in RAID.  

@tominwi wrote:

Bummed that my Seagate ST2000NM0011 drives apparently aren't compatible. 

It's possible that it's just a bad disk.  Perhaps test it with Seatools in a Windows PC, and try resyncing with one of the others.

Message 9 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

As I said earlier, in the case of the NV+ v1, you won't get any space until all four drives are upgraded - it doesn't support mixed drive sizes in RAID.  

@tominwi wrote:

Bummed that my Seagate ST2000NM0011 drives apparently aren't compatible. 

It's possible that it's just a bad disk.  Perhaps test it with Seatools in a Windows PC, and try resyncing with one of the others.

You have great instincts. As I sit here typing this, and the NAS is resyncing after yet another lockup, I can hear clicking (Act led stops blinking too) which clearly means a bad drive. Almost certainly the new drive as I'd had no problems before. What luck to have the first of 5 new drives be bad. Assuming this resync completes successfully I will hot-swap Drive 1 with a new one and hope all the data is still there.

In hindsight I should have just shutdown, installed four new drives, initialize, and copy files from my backup. Would surely have taken much less time... 😞

Message 10 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

Unfortunately the 2nd new 2TB HDD that I tried as Drive 1 did not even make it through the Initialization process--it should have completed that overnight, but instead I found the NV+ lit-up with "Kernel panic" in the display. When I unplugged-replugged it did again start Booting... and started too Quota chk but I became frustrated and just yanked the bloody thing. Then I replaced the original working 1TB drive and got an insert but seemed to be stuck at Init, doing nothing, so I pulled it again and waited a minute or so and plugged it one more time. Amazingly to me it took just seconds to Init (must have been happy with its format of course) and then took-off Resyncing by itself. Some 4 hours later I am fully redundant again and all 4 discs appear fine.

Don't know WHAT to make of these HDDs I bought--they are certainly pristine and were sold/sealed as New AFAICT. But I will run Seatools on them and see if I just got duds. In the meantime my NV+ is fine; I really mostly wanted to upgrade with the idea to max-out the drive complement and maybe expand my use of it.

Hopefully my stomach acid will subside--at least where before I had some book-learning about RAID, I am impressed that I could monkey with this setup and not lose anything. And it's been good to witness first-hand the email messages from the NV+.

Thanks to SB and SS for helping me.

Message 11 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Thx for the update.  Maybe post back after you've tested the drives.

Message 12 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

StephenB the first drive I'd tried that failed in the NV+ passed at least the Seatools fast test. Which is a good thing (I'd rather the drive be incompatible than faulty i.e. I'll use these elsewhere if possible). If you would kindly look at the attached INFO from the drive--is there anything that stands-out to you as wrong for the ReadyNAS? Note I have it in an external eSATA caddy which may explain the reported 3.0Gbps speed (it's a 6Gbps drive). Thanks.

Message 13 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Are you running 4.1.16 firmware in the NAS?  

@tominwi wrote:

StephenB the first drive I'd tried that failed in the NV+ passed at least the Seatools fast test.

I've had several drives pass the fast test, and fail the long test (or the write zeros test).  So I don't put much stock in that result.

I think you have a faulty drive, not an incompatibility issue.  There's nothing unusual about the drive itself - it should work in all ReadyNAS.

@tominwi wrote:

If you would kindly look at the attached INFO from the drive--is there anything that stands-out to you as wrong for the ReadyNAS? Note I have it in an external eSATA caddy which may explain the reported 3.0Gbps speed (it's a 6Gbps drive). Thanks.

The info (and the drive specs) look fine.  The 3.0 Gbps speed is not a concern (your NV+ is limited to SATA 2).  Although your drive is SATA 3,  SATA 3 drives are backwards compatible with SATA 2, and work fine in a NV+.  And it appears to be working with SATA 2 when you connect it to the PC.

I suggest running both of the tests I suggested above.   If the drive passes both, get the SMART stats and post them here.  

Message 14 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

Sadly, once again you are correct sir Smiley Wink as the first drive failed the test. I will try next the 2nd drive but now expect a similar result. Thanks for taking the time to look-over the drive specs and your thorough reply. As I've said in the past, Netgear isn't paying you enough!

Smiley Very Happy

Short Generic - Started 5/16/2019 4:51:17 PM
Short Generic - Pass 5/16/2019 4:52:27 PM
Fix All Long - Started 5/16/2019 4:57:40 PM
Fix All Long - FAIL 5/16/2019 9:08:23 PM
SeaTools Test Code: AAA4A2C0

Message 15 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@tominwi wrote:

As I've said in the past, Netgear isn't paying you enough!

I'm glad I could help.  

But I do want to prevent any confusion...  I don't work for Netgear, I'm a ReadyNAS owner who's just chosen to spend time here helping folks out.

Message 16 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

I don't work for Netgear, I'm a ReadyNAS owner who's just chosen to spend time here helping folks out.

I think I knew that--should've added a wink. Anyway please know that due to the way many (most?) RN users set-(up)-and-forget these devices, it's reassuring when scary stuff happens that you ride-in to help.

My Drive 2 that had failed also in the NV+, has passed Seatools' Long Generic test so I will re-run on the initial failed drive. I am not having fun. Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

Ok so I re-tested the original failed-out-of-box 2TB drive with Long Generic Seatools and this time it passed. I re-tested it because I realized later that I'd not set my W7 PC to "never sleep" and maybe that was the problem.

I guess I will keep these drives and maybe try them in another NAS I'm considering. If there is anything of value to report in the future I will come-back here and post again, but for now I'm done trying to upgrade this NV+.

Message 18 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

It gets worse: I've reverted to the original 4x1TB drives, all of which have worked fine for years and which have good Health/SMART status afaict, and today I got another kernel panic, after it had been working just fine for a couple days (though only a few hours at a time--today is Backups day and so I leave it on all day and make an rsync bu to USB which btw worked fine too, but it paniced mid-afternoon after being on for 8 or 10 hours).

After pulling the plug on the NV+ and re-powering, I ran a Memory Test which came-out OK (I have the stock RAM) and upon Booting it did the expected FS and Quota CHKs, but now the box is doing a Resync, as if I'd pulled or replaced a drive or ??? Says it's gonna take 12 hours to do this.

What to do next? Shut it down and pull each drive one-by-one and test them? Or maybe I should try instead an OS Reinstall in case something got hosed in the config files, maybe when I installed those 2TB drives?

I do have a spare platform I could try, but I'd have to update its firmware first and honestly this doesn't feel like a Sparc or mobo or power supply problem to me.

EDIT: dmesg.log does say something about a "bad block", but in the NAND? What is that, the onboard flash memory?

Linux version 2.6.17.14ReadyNAS (root@calzone) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Infrant 3.3.5-1)) #1 Wed Jun 20 20:08:20 PDT 2012
You system is PZERO.
ASIC=IT3107
On node 0 totalpages: 16384
  Normal zone: 15360 pages, LIFO batch:3
  DMA zone: 1024 pages, LIFO batch:0
zlist 0 802f115c
zone 802f0f14, name Normal
zlist 1 802f1170
zone 802f0ccc, name DMA
zlist 2 802f1184
Built 1 zonelists
Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc rw raid=noautodetect profile=2
kernel profiling enabled (shift: 2)
PID hash table entries: 2048 (order: 11, 8192 bytes)
Dentry cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 3, 131072 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 2, 65536 bytes)
Memory: 226176k/262144k available (2592k kernel code, 35888k reserved, 656k data, 96k init, 0k highmem)
init_mm.pgd 8f0ff000
Calibrating delay loop... 186.36 BogoMIPS (lpj=931840)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 2048
checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (no cpio magic); looks like an initrd
Freeing initrd memory: 16384k freed
NET: Registered protocol family 16
usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP route cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: -1, 8192 bytes)
TCP established hash table entries: 8192 (order: 1, 32768 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 4096 (order: 0, 16384 bytes)
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 8192 bind 4096)
TCP reno registered
audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
audit(1070280003.130:1): initialized
VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.1
Dquot-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order 0, 16384 bytes)
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@monad.swb.de).
Initializing Cryptographic API
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler anticipatory registered
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered (default)
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 16384K size 1024 blocksize
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
nbd: registered device at major 43
tun: Universal TUN/TAP device driver, 1.6
tun: (C) 1999-2004 Max Krasnyansky <maxk@qualcomm.com>
md: raid0 personality registered for level 0
md: raid1 personality registered for level 1
md: raid5 personality registered for level 5
md: raid4 personality registered for level 4
xor engine =>  SPARC.
device-mapper: 4.6.0-ioctl (2006-02-17) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
Serial: Padre driver $Revision: 1.1.1.1 $ 2 ports
ttyS0 at I/O 0x0 (irq = 7) is a padre uart
ttyS1 at I/O 0x0 (irq = 😎 is a padre uart
oprofile: using timer interrupt.
TCP bic registered
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
NET: Registered protocol family 5
802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8 Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>
md: Skipping autodetection of RAID arrays. (raid=noautodetect)
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 96k freed
padre_i2c: module license 'Infrant Technologies, Inc.' taints kernel.
padre_i2c: no version for "udiv" found: kernel tainted.
TWSI Initialize
Padre NSPIO setup: 80353394... No argv, go to default.
raid5: xor select to PADRE_RXA.
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
padre chip scan,token=1
Scan the padre NSP IO hardware.
Need memory for RTEngine 63680
PIO mode on chan 7
DMA mode on chan 0
DMA mode on chan 1
DMA mode on chan 2
DMA mode on chan 3
Padre IDE controller, sata start:1
No TLER on ST31000528AS                            €
hdc: ST31000528AS (s/n:9VP56NT9), ATA DISK drive (ATAEXT)
hde: ST31000528AS (s/n:9VP52XV1), ATA DISK drive (ATAEXT)
hdg: ST31000528AS (s/n:9VP4YDZ0), ATA DISK drive (ATAEXT)
hdi: ST31000528AS (s/n:9VP55BNP), ATA DISK drive (ATAEXT)
ide1 at 0x200-0x207,0x208 on irq 32
ide2 at 0x280-0x287,0x288 on irq 33
ide3 at 0x300-0x307,0x308 on irq 34
ide4 at 0x380-0x387,0x388 on irq 35
Update NSPIO settings 80353394.
hdc: max request size: 512KiB
hdc: use capacity 1953525168 sectors (1000204 MB)
Drive support hpa, still should not change max addr.
hdc: 1953108616 sectors (999991 MB), CHS=65535/255/63
hdc: cache flushes supported
 hdc: hdc1 hdc2 hdc3 < hdc5 >
hde: max request size: 512KiB
hde: use capacity 1953525168 sectors (1000204 MB)
hde: 1953108616 sectors (999991 MB), CHS=65535/255/63
hde: cache flushes supported
 hde: hde1 hde2 hde3 < hde5 >
hdg: max request size: 512KiB
hdg: use capacity 1953525168 sectors (1000204 MB)
hdg: 1953108616 sectors (999991 MB), CHS=65535/255/63
hdg: cache flushes supported
 hdg:chn=2, statu/LP_S=0x(d0/d050)29, 8
 hdg1 hdg2 hdg3 < hdg5 >
hdi: max request size: 512KiB
hdi: use capacity 1953525168 sectors (1000204 MB)
hdi: 1953108616 sectors (999991 MB), CHS=65535/255/63
hdi: cache flushes supported
 hdi: unknown partition table
Link to padre IO.

RAID disks check:
ALL = 22/33/34/56/0/0/0/0, 4
IDE = 22/33/34/0/0/0/0/0, 3
MD  = 0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0, 0
RAID rule check result: 0
md: md driver 0.90.3 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
md: bitmap version 4.39
Disk protected mark = 1
x_raid_start: 1,current:0
BDL_count= 0, fw=SN04, model=
BDL_count= 1, fw=SN04, model=
GOT MEMORY FOR DJ: 128*4k
Drive hdc SB at 1953511632(-sbs) CURRENT
Drive hde SB at 1953511632(-sbs) CURRENT
Drive hdg SB at 1953511632(-sbs) CURRENT
Drive hdi SB at 1953511632(-sbs) CURRENT
x_raid_start: 1,result:0
Find PHY: 0
Lookup PHY ID: 0x000f, 0x01
P0 GPIO initialization... BOARDID=1
Boot type/reason: normal/2/0
Adjusting fan pwm........................
Found LM75 at 0x48
NAND device: Manufacture ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0x76 (Hynix NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit)
size of table 4096
table is there 0x8
bad block 1573 replacing by 4095
total bad block 1
bad 1573 = 4095 bad 4095 = -1 Total bad block number 1
retlen = 0x0200
VPD checksum = 0x9406
ECC is ON
Creating 2 MTD partitions on "NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit":
0x00000000-0x00100000 : "P0 flash partition 1"
0x00100000-0x03ffc000 : "P0 flash partition 2"
NEON flash: probing 8-bit flash bus
CFI: Found no NEON flash device at location zero
NEON flash: unknown flash device, mfr id 0x1, dev id 0x0
NEON flash: Found no Atmel device at location zero
This board is not supported.
You can use parm_extport=X module parm.
ID=6013 on i2c_addr=1f
GPIO2X=3c
lcd:driver loaded
X_RAID_START
startstop  XRAID command = start, flash_cache=0
X_RAID clean shutdown indicator: 0xf.
0 4 4 4 4 0 0 0
0 1 1 1
1 0 1 1
1 1 0 1
1 1 1 0
Update time for sb 1 = 5cdd603a.
Update time for sb 2 = 5cdd603a.
Update time for sb 3 = 5cdd603a.
Update time for sb 4 = 5cdd603a.
recent_ID = 1, select_ID=1, most_ID=4 right_mac=4
Selected sb 1, ctime=5cdd603a, id=a20276e8.
Use this image: 1

VERSION/ID    : SB=(V:0.1.0) ID=<a20276e8.00000000.00000000.00000000> CT:5cdd603a
RAID_INFO     : DISKS(TOTAL:4 RAID:4 PARITY:3 ONL:4 WRK:4 FAILED:0 SPARE:0 BASE:0)
                SZ:1953108616 UT:00000000 STATE:0 LUNS:2 EXTCMD:1 LSZ:1953108614
LOGICAL_DRIVE : 0: B:0000000002 E:0004096000 R:1 O:1 I:1:000000000 DM:f
LOGICAL_DRIVE : 1: B:0004096002 E:1949012614 R:4 O:1 I:1:000000000 DM:f
PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 0: DISK<N:0/1,hdc(22,0),ID:0,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST: B:online>
PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 1: DISK<N:1/2,hde(33,0),ID:1,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST:  :online>
PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 2: DISK<N:2/3,hdg(34,0),ID:2,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST:  :online>
PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 3: DISK<N:3/4,hdi(56,0),ID:3,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST:P :online>
CURRENT_DRIVE : DISK<N:0/1,XXX(22,0),ID:0,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST: B:online>
Need to do drives searching.
Find p d at 3, chn 3
Total=4; raid=4; ready=0; work=4; failed=0
Check degraded mode, start_pos=1
No drive missing, X_RAID run in opt mode.
Change X_RAID running mode from 0 to 1
Update backup SB.
X_RAID: recovery thread got woken up ...
New = 3, source drives = f, current/active=4/4
 hdg: hdg1 hdg2 hdg3 < hdg5 >
chn=1, statu/LP_S=0x(d0/d050)29, 32
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on hdc1, internal journal
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
linked, 1000mbps mode
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with journal data mode.
Adding 255968k swap on /dev/hdc2.  Priority:0 extents:1 across:255968k
Adding 255968k swap on /dev/hde2.  Priority:0 extents:1 across:255968k
Adding 255968k swap on /dev/hdg2.  Priority:0 extents:1 across:255968k
enable_irq(11) unbalanced from f804059c
chn=0, statu/LP_S=0x(d0/d050)29, 32
 hdi:chn=3, statu/LP_S=0x(d0/d050)29, 8
 unknown partition table
chn=2, statu/LP_S=0x(d0/d050)29, 4
EXT3 FS on dm-0, internal journal
X_RAID_SYNC_FORCE
Prepare sync raid 1, source_image=f, sync=4, ready=3
Start sync:0, source_image=1/3, between 2 to 4096002
sata_hotplug: /sbin/hotplug xraid_sync_started hdiUser mode helper start.
done do_sata_hotplug
Sync:1, source_image=1/1, between 2 to 4096002,all_tgt=f
Sync:2, source_image=1/2, between 2 to 4096002,all_tgt=f
chn=2, statu/LP_S=0x(d0/d050)29, 32
Sync:3, source_image=1/3, between 2 to 4096002,all_tgt=f
Start sync raid 4 from 4096002 to 1953108616
Message 19 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

My situation gets worse: I've reverted to the original 4x1TB drives, all of which have worked fine for years and which have good Health/SMART status afaict, and today I got another kernel panic, after it had been working just fine for a couple days (though only a few hours at a time--today is Backups day and so I leave it on all day and make an rsync bu to USB which btw worked fine too, but it paniced mid-afternoon after being on for 8 or 10 hours). After pulling the plug on the NV+ and re-powering, I ran a Memory Test which came-out OK (I have the stock RAM) and upon Booting it did the expected FS and Quota CHKs, but now the box is doing a Resync, as if I'd pulled or replaced a drive or ??? Says it's gonna take 12 hours to do this. What to do next? Shut it down and pull each drive one-by-one and test them? Or maybe I should try instead an OS Reinstall in case something got hosed in the config files, maybe when I installed those 2TB drives? I do have a spare platform I could try, but I'd have to update its firmware first and honestly this doesn't feel like a Sparc or mobo or power supply problem to me. Here is the dmesg.log which shows a bad block in the NAND? What's that, the onboard firmware? I checked back on ancient (working system) logs and it has always been there so I dunno that could be the problem now?
Message 20 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

Linux version 2.6.17.14ReadyNAS (root@calzone) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Infrant 3.3.5-1)) #1 Wed Jun 20 20:08:20 PDT 2012
You system is PZERO.
ASIC=IT3107
On node 0 totalpages: 16384
Normal zone: 15360 pages, LIFO batch:3
DMA zone: 1024 pages, LIFO batch:0
zlist 0 802f115c
zlist 1 802f1170
zone 802f0ccc, name DMA
zlist 2 802f1184
Built 1 zonelists
Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc rw raid=noautodetect profile=2
kernel profiling enabled (shift: 2)
PID hash table entries: 2048 (order: 11, 8192 bytes)
Dentry cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 3, 131072 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 2, 65536 bytes)
Memory: 226176k/262144k available (2592k kernel code, 35888k reserved, 656k data, 96k init, 0k highmem)
init_mm.pgd 8f0ff000
Calibrating delay loop... 186.36 BogoMIPS (lpj=931840)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 2048
checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (no cpio magic); looks like an initrd
Freeing initrd memory: 16384k freed
NET: Registered protocol family 16
usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP route cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: -1, 8192 bytes)
TCP established hash table entries: 8192 (order: 1, 32768 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 4096 (order: 0, 16384 bytes)
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 8192 bind 4096)
TCP reno registered
audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
audit(1070280003.130:1): initialized
VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.1
Dquot-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order 0, 16384 bytes)
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@monad.swb.de).
Initializing Cryptographic API
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler anticipatory registered
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered (default)
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 16384K size 1024 blocksize
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
nbd: registered device at major 43
tun: Universal TUN/TAP device driver, 1.6
tun: (C) 1999-2004 Max Krasnyansky <maxk@qualcomm.com>
md: raid0 personality registered for level 0
md: raid1 personality registered for level 1
md: raid5 personality registered for level 5
md: raid4 personality registered for level 4
xor engine => SPARC.
device-mapper: 4.6.0-ioctl (2006-02-17) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
Serial: Padre driver $Revision: 1.1.1.1 $ 2 ports
ttyS0 at I/O 0x0 (irq = 7) is a padre uart
ttyS1 at I/O 0x0 (irq = 😎 is a padre uart
oprofile: using timer interrupt.
TCP bic registered
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
NET: Registered protocol family 5
802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8 Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>
md: Skipping autodetection of RAID arrays. (raid=noautodetect)
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 96k freed
padre_i2c: module license 'Infrant Technologies, Inc.' taints kernel.
padre_i2c: no version for "udiv" found: kernel tainted.
TWSI Initialize
Padre NSPIO setup: 80353394... No argv, go to default.
raid5: xor select to PADRE_RXA.
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
padre chip scan,token=1
Scan the padre NSP IO hardware.
Need memory for RTEngine 63680
PIO mode on chan 7
DMA mode on chan 0
DMA mode on chan 1
DMA mode on chan 2
DMA mode on chan 3
Padre IDE controller, sata start:1
No TLER on ST31000528AS €
hdc: ST31000528AS (s/n:9VP56NT9), ATA DISK drive (ATAEXT)
hde: ST31000528AS (s/n:9VP52XV1), ATA DISK drive (ATAEXT)
hdg: ST31000528AS (s/n:9VP4YDZ0), ATA DISK drive (ATAEXT)
hdi: ST31000528AS (s/n:9VP55BNP), ATA DISK drive (ATAEXT)
ide1 at 0x200-0x207,0x208 on irq 32
ide2 at 0x280-0x287,0x288 on irq 33
ide3 at 0x300-0x307,0x308 on irq 34
ide4 at 0x380-0x387,0x388 on irq 35
Update NSPIO settings 80353394.
hdc: max request size: 512KiB
hdc: use capacity 1953525168 sectors (1000204 MB)
hdc: 1953108616 sectors (999991 MB), CHS=65535/255/63
hde: max request size: 512KiB
hde: use capacity 1953525168 sectors (1000204 MB)
hde: 1953108616 sectors (999991 MB), CHS=65535/255/63
hdg: max request size: 512KiB
hdg: use capacity 1953525168 sectors (1000204 MB)
hdg: 1953108616 sectors (999991 MB), CHS=65535/255/63
hdg:chn=2, statu/LP_S=0x(d0/d050)29, 8
hdg1 hdg2 hdg3 < hdg5 >
hdi: max request size: 512KiB
hdi: use capacity 1953525168 sectors (1000204 MB)
hdi: 1953108616 sectors (999991 MB), CHS=65535/255/63
Link to padre IO.

RAID disks check:
ALL = 22/33/34/56/0/0/0/0, 4
IDE = 22/33/34/0/0/0/0/0, 3
MD = 0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0, 0
RAID rule check result: 0
md: md driver 0.90.3 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
md: bitmap version 4.39
Disk protected mark = 1
x_raid_start: 1,current:0
BDL_count= 0, fw=SN04, model=
BDL_count= 1, fw=SN04, model=
GOT MEMORY FOR DJ: 128*4k
Drive hdc SB at 1953511632(-sbs) CURRENT
Drive hde SB at 1953511632(-sbs) CURRENT
Drive hdg SB at 1953511632(-sbs) CURRENT
Drive hdi SB at 1953511632(-sbs) CURRENT
x_raid_start: 1,result:0
Find PHY: 0
Lookup PHY ID: 0x000f, 0x01
P0 GPIO initialization... BOARDID=1
Boot type/reason: normal/2/0
Adjusting fan pwm........................
Found LM75 at 0x48
NAND device: Manufacture ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0x76 (Hynix NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit)
size of table 4096
table is there 0x8
bad block 1573 replacing by 4095
total bad block 1
bad 1573 = 4095 bad 4095 = -1 Total bad block number 1
retlen = 0x0200
VPD checksum = 0x9406
ECC is ON
Creating 2 MTD partitions on "NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit":
0x00000000-0x00100000 : "P0 flash partition 1"
0x00100000-0x03ffc000 : "P0 flash partition 2"
NEON flash: probing 8-bit flash bus
CFI: Found no NEON flash device at location zero
NEON flash: unknown flash device, mfr id 0x1, dev id 0x0
NEON flash: Found no Atmel device at location zero
This board is not supported.
You can use parm_extport=X module parm.
ID=6013 on i2c_addr=1f
GPIO2X=3c
lcd:driver loaded
X_RAID_START
startstop XRAID command = start, flash_cache=0
X_RAID clean shutdown indicator: 0xf.
0 4 4 4 4 0 0 0
0 1 1 1
1 0 1 1
1 1 0 1
1 1 1 0
Update time for sb 1 = 5cdd603a.
Update time for sb 2 = 5cdd603a.
Update time for sb 3 = 5cdd603a.
Update time for sb 4 = 5cdd603a.
recent_ID = 1, select_ID=1, most_ID=4 right_mac=4
Selected sb 1, ctime=5cdd603a, id=a20276e8.
Use this image: 1

VERSION/ID : SB=(V:0.1.0) ID=<a20276e8.00000000.00000000.00000000> CT:5cdd603a
RAID_INFO : DISKS(TOTAL:4 RAID:4 PARITY:3 ONL:4 WRK:4 FAILED:0 SPARE:0 BASE:0)
SZ:1953108616 UT:00000000 STATE:0 LUNS:2 EXTCMD:1 LSZ:1953108614
LOGICAL_DRIVE : 0: B:0000000002 E:0004096000 R:1 O:1 I:1:000000000 DM:f
LOGICAL_DRIVE : 1: B:0004096002 E:1949012614 R:4 O:1 I:1:000000000 DM:f
PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 0: DISK<N:0/1,hdc(22,0),ID:0,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST: B:online>
PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 1: DISK<N:1/2,hde(33,0),ID:1,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST: :online>
PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 2: DISK<N:2/3,hdg(34,0),ID:2,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST: :online>
PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 3: DISK<N:3/4,hdi(56,0),ID:3,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST:P :online>
CURRENT_DRIVE : DISK<N:0/1,XXX(22,0),ID:0,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST: B:online>
Need to do drives searching.
Find p d at 3, chn 3
Total=4; raid=4; ready=0; work=4; failed=0
Check degraded mode, start_pos=1
No drive missing, X_RAID run in opt mode.
Change X_RAID running mode from 0 to 1
Update backup SB.
hdg: hdg1 hdg2 hdg3 < hdg5 >
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
linked, 1000mbps mode
Adding 255968k swap on /dev/hdc2. Priority:0 extents:1 across:255968k
Adding 255968k swap on /dev/hde2. Priority:0 extents:1 across:255968k
Adding 255968k swap on /dev/hdg2. Priority:0 extents:1 across:255968k
enable_irq(11) unbalanced from f804059c
hdi:chn=3, statu/LP_S=0x(d0/d050)29, 8
unknown partition table
chn=2, statu/LP_S=0x(d0/d050)29, 4
X_RAID_SYNC_FORCE
Prepare sync raid 1, source_image=f, sync=4, ready=3
Start sync:0, source_image=1/3, between 2 to 4096002
sata_hotplug: /sbin/hotplug xraid_sync_started hdiUser mode helper start.
done do_sata_hotplug
Sync:1, source_image=1/1, between 2 to 4096002,all_tgt=f
Sync:2, source_image=1/2, between 2 to 4096002,all_tgt=f
Sync:3, source_image=1/3, between 2 to 4096002,all_tgt=f
Start sync raid 4 from 4096002 to 1953108616

Message 21 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@tominwi wrote:
Here is the dmesg.log which shows a bad block in the NAND? What's that, the onboard firmware? 

Yes.  The firmware install is stored in the onboard flash (and I believe the boot loader is also).  It looks like the system is sparing the bad block, so I agree that doesn't seem to be the main issue.

@tominwi wrote:
 but now the box is doing a Resync, as if I'd pulled or replaced a drive or ??? Says it's gonna take 12 hours to do this. What to do next? Shut it down and pull each drive one-by-one and test them?

I'd let the resync continue to completion.   This is likely a side-effect of the kernel panic (unclean shutdown).

@tominwi wrote:
 today I got another kernel panic, after it had been working just fine for a couple days ... Or maybe I should try instead an OS Reinstall

Ok.  So this means the kernel panic isn't linked to the new disks.

I'd suggest backing up the data and trying to do a factory reset with the 4x1TB drives in place.  You could do an OS reinstall first I guess, and see if it helps.  The OS reinstall doesn't reinstall everything, so it might not help if there's some corruption in the OS partition.

Another option is to do a factory install with one of the 2 TB drives (leaving the other bays empty).  Don't use the one that initially failed Seatools, since it's health is unknown.  Then add the other disks one of a time, and see if the kernel panic strikes again.  If all looks well, then reconfigure the NAS and restore the files from backup.

Though I do think you should consider how much time/energy you want to put into this.  It might be time to get a new NAS and let this one go.

Message 22 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

All good thoughts, thanks. Now For The Dumb Questions: I've been backing-up the entire volume, the C: drive, using Rsync to an external USB. If I were to do the Factory Reset/Reinstall, how do I recover from this USB backup? And do I restore my CONFIG file using FV Before or After I get the files from USB drive back onto the NAS?

Message 23 of 27
StephenB
Guru

As far as ordering goes, it's best to

1. reinstall add-ons
  2. restore configuration
  3. restore data

The add-ons are first because some of the configuration files relate to the add-ons.

Frontview won't let you restore the full hardrive in one restore operation (annoying limitation).  So you'd need to restore share by share. Do you use the private "home" shares?

You could also run rsync directly from the linux CLI.  That would let you restore the full C volume.

Message 24 of 27
tominwi
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

...you'd need to restore share by share. Do you use the private "home" shares?

You could also run rsync directly from the linux CLI.  That would let you restore the full C volume.

Dunno what "private 'home' shares" are? I have Security as User Mode with just 4 users, then 4 shares: backup, downloads, tom, and media. When I look in Windows Network Neighborhood I find a "home" directory at the root level, with 4 subfolders named according to my 4-person user list, and these are all empty. So maybe the answer is No?

If you know the rsync CLI command I do know how to access via SSH and would give that a try first I guess.

Thanks!

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements