× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ ate my WD20EZRX (2TB Green)?

KrisW
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ ate my WD20EZRX (2TB Green)?

Hi guys,

I bought two WD20EZRX - 00D8PB0 2TB "Green" drives to fit in my NV+ (v1, I guess - the PCB still says "Infrant"). The WD Green 20EARX model is on the compatibility list, and the EZRX should be equivalent according to the scheme on http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/o ... 001028.pdf

(To head off some obvious questions, these are brand-new OEM component drives from a reputable supplier, not discount disks farmed from retail portable HDs. I've also used WD Green in video streaming applications with no problems. )

I did the usual backup of the existing volume, then power down, removed my existing HDs, did a Factory Reset on the NAS (my original firmware used 4k blocksize, so the original volume did too), and inserted one of the disks.

After a long initialisation, I got a "Bad disk" error, so I tried the other instead, only to get the same thing.

Unfortunately, not only do these disks now not work, but after their trip through the ReadyNAS, they won't even register on my desktop PC's SATA controller. Attempting to use them in a Dell PC results in a spurious "Password Required" message from the BIOS (the EZRX doesn't have a password feature).

Mounting the disk in a USB enclosure looks better at first, but it is impossible to partition the disk - the partitioning operation times out.

I'm in the process of RMAing the disks, but I'm concerned that all I'll get is another pair of sacrificial WD20EZRX.

So, any idea what's going on here, and any ideas on how I can get my disks back if the RMA is rejected?
Message 1 of 20
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running in the NAS?
Message 2 of 20
KrisW
Aspirant

Apologies, I should have included this:

Hostname: nas

Model: ReadyNAS NV+ [X-RAID]
Serial: 000da20190b1
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]
Memory: 256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]

Message 3 of 20
StephenB
Guru

My guess is that the disks got locked somehow. You can google on ways to unlock (or perhaps mdgm will reach out to you).
Message 4 of 20
KrisW
Aspirant

The problem is that both disks worked before they were put into the ReadyNAS. I cannot now mount them anywhere to be able to unlock them: my desktop PC refuses to boot up if either disk is on the SATA bus at power-up.

(I believe the Dell BIOS "password" prompt is spurious - the EZRX doesn't offer password protection as far as I can discover)
Message 5 of 20
StephenB
Guru

See this old thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7600&p=42812

I believe your drives ended up locked.
Message 6 of 20
vandermerwe
Master

....and this one:
viewtopic.php?p=380555#p380555

Symptoms are not typical as locked drives are normally not reported as bad by the readynas.
Message 7 of 20
StephenB
Guru

vandermerwe wrote:
....and this one:
viewtopic.php?p=380555#p380555

Symptoms are not typical as locked drives are normally not reported as bad by the readynas.
I agree with that, but I think they need to be unlocked in order to run the diags.

KrisW - Vandermerwe's link tells you how to unlock the drives from a linux system. There is a windows version of hdparm here: http://disablehddapm.blogspot.com I've never tried it!
Message 8 of 20
KrisW
Aspirant

Once I find a system that will accept the disks, I'll try boot into Linux and try to remove the lock.

As for the cause, the drives were not locked by me. Nor were they unreadable when I put them into the ReadyNAS. The disks were new, in sealed packaging from WD. The locked/unreadable status resulted only after they failed in the ReadyNAS. Whatever is preventing their use now was done by the ReadyNAS.

It's possible that whatever is causing the "Bad Disk" error is taking the firmware down a code path where it does not unlock the drive afterwards.
Message 9 of 20
KrisW
Aspirant

Okay:

$ sudo -i
# hdparm --security-unlock NETGEAR

/dev/sdb security_password="NETGEAR"

/dev/sdb:
Issuing SECURITY_UNLOCK command, password="NETGEAR", user=user
SECURITY_UNLOCK: Input/output error

here's the dump of the disk info

# hdparm -I /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0
Serial Number: WD-WCC4M3RSE322
Firmware Revision: 80.00A80
Transport: Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6, SATA Rev 3.0
Standards:
Supported: 9 8 7 6 5
Likely used: 9
Configuration:
Logical max current
cylinders 16383 16383
heads 16 16
sectors/track 63 63
--
CHS current addressable sectors: 16514064
LBA user addressable sectors: 268435455
LBA48 user addressable sectors: 3907029168
Logical Sector size: 512 bytes
Physical Sector size: 4096 bytes
device size with M = 1024*1024: 1907729 MBytes
device size with M = 1000*1000: 2000398 MBytes (2000 GB)
cache/buffer size = unknown
Nominal Media Rotation Rate: 5400
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
Queue depth: 32
Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific minimum
R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 16
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
Enabled Supported:
* SMART feature set
* Security Mode feature set
* Power Management feature set
* Write cache
* Look-ahead
* Host Protected Area feature set
* WRITE_BUFFER command
* READ_BUFFER command
* NOP cmd
* DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
Power-Up In Standby feature set
* SET_FEATURES required to spinup after power up
SET_MAX security extension
* 48-bit Address feature set
* Device Configuration Overlay feature set
* Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
* FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
* SMART error logging
* SMART self-test
* General Purpose Logging feature set
* 64-bit World wide name
* WRITE_UNCORRECTABLE_EXT command
* {READ,WRITE}_DMA_EXT_GPL commands
* Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
* Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
* Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
* Gen3 signaling speed (6.0Gb/s)
* Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
* Host-initiated interface power management
* Phy event counters
* NCQ priority information
* unknown 76[15]
DMA Setup Auto-Activate optimization
Device-initiated interface power management
Software settings preservation
* SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set
* SCT LBA Segment Access (AC2)
* SCT Features Control (AC4)
* SCT Data Tables (AC5)
unknown 206[12] (vendor specific)
unknown 206[13] (vendor specific)
unknown 206[14] (vendor specific)
Security:
Master password revision code = 1
supported
enabled
not frozen
expired: security count
supported: enhanced erase
Security level high
282min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 282min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
Logical Unit WWN Device Identifier: 50014ee20b408fd5
NAA : 5
IEEE OUI : 0014ee
Unique ID : 20b408fd5
Checksum: correct

I tried attaching the other disk back into the ReadyNAS. It acknowledges the insertion event, but then goes into CPU starvation: ssh won't respond, and the web UI won't load fully.
Message 10 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The unlocking method you tried is for disks locked by a v2, not by the v1.

The link StephenB gave is for the v1

The link vandermerwe gave is for the v2.
Message 11 of 20
KrisW
Aspirant

Okay, assuming that the locking password for a drive locked by v1 is the following 32 bytes:

BE EF BE F0 BE F1 BE F2 BE F3 BE F4 BE F5 BE F6 BE F7 BE F8 BE F9 BE FA BE FB BE FC BE FD BE FE

(that's the resulting byte sequence of the code posted in the v1 link, for a big-endian CPU)

Here's my result (/dev/sdb is the device on Linux)

# hdparm --security-unlock $(echo -e '\xBE\xEF\xBE\xF0\xBE\xF1\xBE\xF2\xBE\xF3\xBE\xF4\xBE\xF5\xBE\xF6\xBE\xF7\xBE\xF8\xBE\xF9\xBE\xFA\xBE\xFB\xBE\xFC\xBE\xFD\xBE\xFE') /dev/sdb

security_password="��������������������������������"

Issuing SECURITY_UNLOCK command, password="��������������������������������", user=user
SECURITY_UNLOCK: Input/output error

The other failed disk is in my ReadyNAS. But for as long as it remains inserted in the NAS, the NAS becomes unresponsive to SSH or HTTP connection requests. This cannot be normal, expected behaviour. Any suggestions?
Message 12 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With the disks that aren't working if you are fine with wiping them can you try a factory reset using Flex-RAID?

1. Leave all locked drives in NV+
2. Perform factory default reset
3. From RAIDar, select flex RAID instead of XRAID
Message 13 of 20
KrisW
Aspirant

Okay...

Factory reset resulted in the unit hanging at "Booting...", so I performed a USB Restore of the Raidiator4.1.8 firmware onto the NAS instead.

Now, on reboot, with the WD disk in bay 3, I get an "ERR: No Disks" on the LCD display. RAIDar tells me the same thing. "Setup" isn't available

The four LED indicators blink in this sequence: ".*..", "....","****","...." (Bay 2 lit, all off, all on, all off).

I repeated the test with the WD disk in Bay 1, and got the same result.
Message 14 of 20
RX
Luminary
Luminary

KrisW wrote:
Factory reset resulted in the unit hanging at "Booting...", so I performed a USB Restore of the Raidiator4.1.8 firmware onto the NAS instead.

Now, on reboot, with the WD disk in bay 3, I get an "ERR: No Disks" on the LCD display. RAIDar tells me the same thing. "Setup" isn't available

The four LED indicators blink in this sequence: ".*..", "....","****","...." (Bay 2 lit, all off, all on, all off).

I repeated the test with the WD disk in Bay 1, and got the same result.

Just to isolate the problem further, is it possible that you factory reset your NAS using a spare disk other than your existing WD drives in order to check whether if there is a fault on the NAS chassis or with your existing WD drives...?

You may also run an Extended test to each of your existing WD drives using the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows: http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... =612&sid=3
Message 15 of 20
KrisW
Aspirant

Factory reset was performed with the WD disk alone in the unit.

My PC bootloader dies if I try to boot with the locked WD drive installed, so using any Windows SATA tool is problematic for me.
Message 16 of 20
StephenB
Guru

If you have a usb enclosure you should also be able to run the generic disk tests.
Message 17 of 20
KrisW
Aspirant

thanks, I'll try that..
Message 18 of 20
KrisW
Aspirant

Okay, the clouds are clearing a little.

Once connected to the WD diagnostics (via a USB enclosure), the disk I have with me reports a "Failed" SMART status - too many bad sectors. It appears that this disk is damaged, and the ReadyNAS is correct in showing "Bad Disk".

The disks passed a quick check before I put them into the ReadyNAS, but it seems the ReadyNAS does a read/write check over the whole disk, which would have caused the controller to log the bad sectors and place the drive into a Failed SMART status.

I will check the other disk, the one that claims to be locked, tomorrow. (this other disk is back with the reseller I bought it from)
Message 19 of 20
KrisW
Aspirant

The other disk is worse, with many, many bad sectors. I'm surprised - it's a long time since I've come across a defective HDD.

My initial test of the drives was a short format and random-read/write which didn't find enough bad sectors to tip the disk into failure status. But, after the ReadyNAS did its full write-readback test over the entire drive, and exposed all of the defective sectors, the SMART controller decided that the disk was indeed defective.

... And because the SMART status said "Failed", the ReadyNAS would no longer use the drive.

Mystery solved. Now I've got to get replacements....

Thanks for your help guys.
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements