× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ disk failure cannot find replacement on compatibility list

richap
Follower

ReadyNAS NV+ disk failure cannot find replacement on compatibility list

Hi. I have a ReadyNAS NV+ running X-RAID with firmware RAIDiator 4.1.8 and 4x 2TB disks. I have had a disk failure and ordered the following replacement online ensuring that the model number was on the ReadyNAS hardware compatibility list - ST2000DM001 Seagate Barrucuda 2TB (and same model as the disk which has failed) . What I actually received was the newer replacement version ST2000DM006. Whilst this replacement version is not listed in the hardware compatibility list, I would like to know that if I insert the new disk (ST2000DM006), will it work? My NAS is very old and I only plan to use it for a year or so before replacing it. I have been running in 'non-redundant' mode for approx two weeks due to trying to obtain a replacement disk and receiving the wrong types (which is getting frustrating). I want to get my system to a level of resilience as quickly as possible, hence asking the question regarding use of this disk type. Any information/help would be most appreciated. Many thanks.

Model: ReadyNASRND4420|ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB (4 X 2TB)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ disk failure cannot find replacement on compatibility list

Netgear hasn't updated the disk HCL on the legacy NAS for some years now, so you basically have to ignore the compatibility list.

In general I am not a fan of using desktop drives generally, and Seagate DM drives in particular in a NAS. If you'd asked earlier, I would have suggested 2 TB Seagate Ironwolf or 2 TB WDC Red (WD20EFRX).  Both are designed for NAS use, and either would be well matched to your NAS.

That said, the new DM drive should work in your NAS.  So if you can't exchange it, you should still be able to use it ok.  I recommend hot-insertion (inserting it with the NAS running).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements