× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RN10200 - How to transfer 4TB original data to a new 8TB hard drive?

bjcool
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN10200 - How to transfer 4TB original data to a new 8TB hard drive?

Hi All,

I've been using the ReadyNAS RN10200 for a few years & its been great. But now I'm running out of space & read that with the new firmware updates, the ReadyNAS RN10200 can have a capacity of 16TB. So I recently bought an WD RED 8TB hard drive. I was planning to take out the 4TB hard drive, put it in an enclosure, then put in the new 8TB hard drive in the ReadyNAS RN102, then transfer the data from 4TB to the 8TB, once copied, delete the 4TB hard drive & add it in the second bay. I would like to use it for aditional storage but have it sepately from the 8TB hard drive, so in the future i can change the 4TB & upgrade to 8TB. Or maybe use the 4TB for some type of raid back up. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way in doing this? Sorry kinda a noob here, thanks everyone.

Kind Regards,

Ben

Firmware: 6.10.1

Model: ReadyNAS 102

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS RN10200 - How to transfer 4TB original data to a new 8TB hard drive?

Click on the 8 TB drive in the center.  Then you should be able to create a second jbod volume.  If the "Create Volume" button won't respond, then click on "format" after you select the 8 TB drive.  

That won't destroy data on the first disk.

The process is described on page 35 of the software manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What you can do is switch to flexraid, and then add the 8 TB drive as a second jbod volume.  Then you can simply use both drives (having 12 TB of storage).  Or you can transfer data using the Web UI backup jobs, and destroy the original 4 TB volume.  After that you just remove the 4 TB drive and reformat it as you wish.

If you do transfer data, you'd need to create temporary share names for each share (and set up a backup job for each share).  Then rename the shares after you destroy the original volume.

Message 2 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

FYI, the firmware update has nothing to do with expanding the drive size max.  Netgear just advertises the NAS size based on the max drive size available at the time of release.  Your NAS has, and has always had, the ability to use drives much larger than currently available.  Of course, a 102 is limited by CPU and memory, so there is likely a reasonable limit beyond which you just wouldn't want to expand.

Message 3 of 7
bjcool
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

I've switched to flexraid & added the 8TB. What do I do next to use the 8TB as a second jbod volume? I've attached a screenshot to show what options I have. But just wondering if i do this, will I lose the data on the 4TB hard drive? 

Kind Regards,

Ben

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Click on the 8 TB drive in the center.  Then you should be able to create a second jbod volume.  If the "Create Volume" button won't respond, then click on "format" after you select the 8 TB drive.  

That won't destroy data on the first disk.

The process is described on page 35 of the software manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

Message 5 of 7
bjcool
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks so much for your help with this, much appreciated 😃

Kind Regards,

Ben

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I could help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements