× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RNDP600E fails to power up - how to recover

leeway
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RNDP600E fails to power up - how to recover

I have a fully populated ReadyNAS 6 bay P600E and it has become tempremental about restarting and now seems to have failed completely.  While running it is fine but after a proper shutdown it shows no sign of life when I attempt to restart athoubgh the network ports show activity.  Last time after a power failure afte several minutes it did recover.

My guess is that this is power supply but I don't understand why it would run normally but then not restart - any ideas.

If I am unable to fix this with a power supply, what Netgear units are compatible with the P600E and what is the upgrade process to ensure I retain the data.

I don't have any restrictions on run/start time set.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS RNDP600E fails to power up - how to recover

Hopefully, the replacement supply will do the trick.  Failure to reliably restart from a power off but able to continue once it does start is actually a very common power supply symptom.  One of the voltages is probably a bit low, and moreso when the current inrush of powering on occurs.  Unloaded testing of the voltages will not typically show this, either.

For future reference, you can use a standard ATX power supply to test if the power supply is the real problem before you purchase a replacement.  You just have to run it with the supply external.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You can use a SS-300SFD Seasonic Micro ATX supply.  You might add a 24 pin extension cable to the order - the Pro needs 500 mm, but many replacements are only 350 mm.

Message 2 of 6
leeway
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply - I have ordered a replacement to try.

I am not convinced it is the power supply - it was working fine.    If that fails, what are my options for installing these drives in another newer 6 bay unit?  That was the compatibility part of my question.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@leeway wrote:

If that fails, what are my options for installing these drives in another newer 6 bay unit?  That was the compatibility part of my question.

You can migrate them to another x86 legacy unit (a pro-6 for instance).

If you get an RN316 or an RN516, the data can be migrated with Netgear assistance.  The process requires enough external storage to copy all your data.  Perhaps contact netgear support directly (support.netgear.com) on this option before you purchase the new NAS.

You'd also want to check the HCL for the newer NAS and make sure your existing drives are on it.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Hopefully, the replacement supply will do the trick.  Failure to reliably restart from a power off but able to continue once it does start is actually a very common power supply symptom.  One of the voltages is probably a bit low, and moreso when the current inrush of powering on occurs.  Unloaded testing of the voltages will not typically show this, either.

For future reference, you can use a standard ATX power supply to test if the power supply is the real problem before you purchase a replacement.  You just have to run it with the supply external.

Message 5 of 6
leeway
Aspirant

Replacement power supply did the trick although a tight squeeze now. Funny how that same part number grows more connections but a shorter main 24 pin cable! Main thing is it's working. Thanks all.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements