× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RAM upgrade

photonoxx
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RAM upgrade

Hi,

In the intention to upgrade my Ultra 2  (RNDU2000) with OS6, I would like to upgrade the RAM of my Readynas too.

With the read of some topics here but for the Ultra 4, it seems I need a DDR3 So-dimm 204 pin of a max 2GB capacity. I see some mention of low density RAM, but the stick below seems to match 2RX8 but doesn't work.

I buy this RAM stick :

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B099NDTJ8J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I open the left panel and found the RAM port on this side. I swap the original stick with the new one but it doesn't seems to work. If I power up the NAS, it doesn't boot up and no LED are lighted on the face and the fan stay at high speed.

Swaping back the original stick and the NAS boot normally.

So, is there some special things to do for upgrading RAM on Ultra 2, and/or which specifications should I look for to find a compatible stick. Is the 2GB limit still correct, as 2GB stick are less common today than 4GB ?

For information, preparing the upgrade, I had installed the BIOS update addon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nicolas

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
photonoxx
Aspirant

SOLVED : Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RAM upgrade

After seeing the exact reference of the Samsung memory stick in the thread mentioned above, I did another try and it works now.

I don't exactly know what happen. Instead of power off throught the front end I do it by double pressing power button, and instead of unplugging the power cord, I let it connected, powering up the NAS by pressing button instead of by connecting power plug.

I launch a memory tomorrow evening, and this morning it seems to still running, lit LED with this sequence :

Disk 1, Disk 2, Power, Backup

Anyway, thanks for your answer Sandshark.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RAM upgrade

The Ultra/Pro4 use DDR2 RAM, not DDR3.  The Ultra/Pro 2 use DDR3.

Message 2 of 6
photonoxx
Aspirant

Thanks

Yes, and I buy DDR3, may be I'm wrong speaking about thinking topic was about Ultra 4, may be it was Ultra 2 +.

By the way I realize I missed some topics (search "RAM" and some topic only have "memory" in title)

I found this one : https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Memory-test-ReadyNAS-Ultra-2/m-p/754622/...

I'll try to read it a bit, but if someone have some clues, it would be great.

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

The memory I have used to upgrade a Pro/Ultra2 has always been 1Rx8. That would be consistent with that thread saying only 2GB modules with 8 chips work.

Message 4 of 6
photonoxx
Aspirant

Yes, thanks for your answer, I see that too.

I tried this one with only 8 chips (4 by side) : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01MCX85WH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But no luck, it doesn't work.

It seems to be finally a Samsung M471B5773DH0-CH9, but I don't know what doesn't match with compatibility need.

Hopefully I can send back to seller.

Message 5 of 6
photonoxx
Aspirant

SOLVED : Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RAM upgrade

After seeing the exact reference of the Samsung memory stick in the thread mentioned above, I did another try and it works now.

I don't exactly know what happen. Instead of power off throught the front end I do it by double pressing power button, and instead of unplugging the power cord, I let it connected, powering up the NAS by pressing button instead of by connecting power plug.

I launch a memory tomorrow evening, and this morning it seems to still running, lit LED with this sequence :

Disk 1, Disk 2, Power, Backup

Anyway, thanks for your answer Sandshark.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements