× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 has error: "Dead. This volume is no longer available". Streaming svc. totally blank

Old_Bill
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 has error: "Dead. This volume is no longer available". Streaming svc. totally blank

RNDU4000 conneced to Windows 7 PC had been running fine for months.  After attempting "system restore" on the PC, Windows crashed and I had to recover by OS re-install.  Thereafter, Frontview Volume button blinks yellow,  Streaming services is blank. NAS has disappeared from all three of my TIVOs. UPnP won't enable.  All 4 volumes show good health and mid 80's temp.  Volumes 1 thru 3 show 2790 GB allocated, Volume 4 shows 0 GB allocated.  I am able to access all files over the network with CIFS/SMB.  I've got around 2T of my wife's favorite movies in the NAS.  😞

Thanks, Old Bill

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 4|ReadyNAS-Ultra 4
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 has error: "Dead. This volume is no longer available". Streaming svc.

@Old_Bill wrote:

After attempting "system restore" on the PC, Windows crashed and I had to recover by OS re-install. 

I'm a bit confused here.  Did you do an OS reinstall on the NAS?  Or did you just reinstall Windows???

@Old_Bill wrote:

All 4 volumes show good health and mid 80's temp.  Volumes 1 thru 3 show 2790 GB allocated, Volume 4 shows 0 GB allocated.

Do you mean disks or volumes?  Are you running jbod, XRAID, or some other RAID mode?

@Old_Bill wrote:

I am able to access all files over the network with CIFS/SMB.

I suggest backing up the files right away.

Message 2 of 6
Old_Bill
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4 has error: "Dead. This volume is no longer available". Streaming svc.

I just reinstalled Windows on the PC.  I never touched the NAS.  Maybe the reinstall had nothing to do with the "Volume is no longer available" error message on the NAS, but the timing seems VERY suspicious to me.  Re: Do I mean discs or volumes? ( my novice is showing )  I mean the HD in bay # 4 shows 0 GB allocated, while the HDs in the first three bays show 2790 GB allocated.  I'm running RAIDar 4.2.28.  RAIDar shows Healthy and the four little HD icons look healthy too.  When I "mouse over" them the only difference is a couple of degrees in temp.

Model: RNDU4000|READYNAS ULTRA 4|EOL
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Old_Bill wrote:

I just reinstalled Windows on the PC.  I never touched the NAS.  Maybe the reinstall had nothing to do with the "Volume is no longer available" error message on the NAS, but the timing seems VERY suspicious to me.  

The windows system reinstall is not related to the allocation on disk 4 or the "volume is no longer available" status.

Your data is at risk, so while you have access you should be backing it up.  After that's done you could contact Netgear support, or you could do a factory reset on the NAS and reload the data from the backup.

Message 4 of 6
Old_Bill
Aspirant

Thanks. I'll start backing up. -- Bill

Model: RNDU4000|READYNAS ULTRA 4|EOL
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All the inodes on the 4GB root volume are used up. ReadyTiVo is using a huge amount of inodes. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements