× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra restriping.

TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra restriping.

the conversion must first be done with the 'homebrew' file, however once you are on os 6, then you simply use the netgear provided os6 files.

Message 26 of 34
Sandshark
Sensei

Well, you don't have to brew it yourself anymore.  Look for more recent threads on the OS6 upgrade and you'll find conversion links.  Most of the original ones are dead (as well as being very old versions of the OS).

Note that a USB OS recovery will not work.

Message 27 of 34

Are there possibilities that i brick my NAS? Could one go back to OS4 if one wanted to?
Message 28 of 34
StephenB
Guru

@PerfectOnline wrote:
Are there possibilities that i brick my NAS? Could one go back to OS4 if one wanted to?

You can revert back to OS4 if you wish.  Also, there are currently shipping OS-6 NAS with 2 GB of RAM, so that is enough.

I don't recall seeing any posts from someone who bricked their Ultra or Pro doing this conversion.  It only works with 64-bit processors, and there have been some folks who bricked their 32 bit systems attempting it.  However, your Ultra has a 64 bit processor.

Since RAID alone isn't enough to keep your data safe, you should always have a backup plan in place (with any storage).  This conversion is unsupported by Netgear, so it is particularly important that you have a backup strategy in place for the NAS if you do it.

Instructions with working links are here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Lost-contact-with-NAS-after-upgradi...

Message 29 of 34

Great! Well i think i’m gonna jump on the OS6-train with you guise, thanks allt for the help everyone.

One last question: i upgraded my NAS to 2gb of RAM but i read somewhere that a user had upgraded the same NAS to 4gb, is this even possible? I thought that 2gb was maximum.
Message 30 of 34
bedlam1
Prodigy

I have 4GB in my Pro 4

You won''t regret hopping on the OS 6 train

Message 31 of 34

I’m on it. 😁

I have not used it too much since it has to finish it’s reclycling process but man does it look nice and fresh!

I hope everything went Well during the process, i added the ”app” to prepare the NAS for OS6, then i added the firmware file also linked in that thread and then it rebooted by itself if my memory doesn’t fail me.

Then the display showed what was going on and everything looked fine except som error about something that wasn’t unpacked correctly. Not sure what it was, should i be concerned? The rest of the process went fine and RAIDiator found the NAS and everything.

Those rascals at Netgear told me during the installation process that RAID5 was chosen but i wanted that sweet RAID6 but there was nothing i could do.

Anyways, i downloaded the official firmware file and did another upgrade just to be sure and no errors at all and then back to the volume thing. I read somewhere that one has to choose flex-RAID then XRAID for things to work so i did that.

Destroyed the previous volume, chosed all the disks and then i created a new RAID-6 one and directly turned on XRAID which wasn’t available as a first option.

I think the resync process was on either 0.0% or 0.1%, or was it 0.01%? Can’t remember, not sure if it matters since it seems like you can turn XRAID on or off as you like.

So, after perhaps three Factory Defaults (the hard way: using the reset button) and so on and so forth everything looks fine. Apps are available and the interface is sweet.

The only thing that bothers me is that system temperatures is at 61c celcious, not sure if that is correct. I changed the fan curve and it might stabilize or something.

One funny thing i guess no one can explain is that the harddisks, all of them, seems to be fine all of the sudden. No RAW read errors like before, and i have only added one new drive so it’s strange as hell, maybe i didn’t need to order thee brand new drives after all.

SMART seems to work in it’s own mysterious ways.

Could it be that OS4 reported errors even though there was none? I remember that the one drive with around 6000 errors was like that for years, it was also the last drive to be added back in 2013.

Perhaps a long reply but as of now i’m happy with the conversion from OS4 to OS6. 😁
Message 32 of 34
mdgm
Virtuoso

The error about not properly extracting in the upgrade to OS6 is only a concern if it happens AFTER a factory reset is triggered automatically. The Prep add-on does prevent one of the files in the OS6 firmware from being extracted until after the factory reset is triggered.

If you download the logs initrd.log will have a log entry showing there was a problem extracting the firmware if it happened since the last factory default.
Message 33 of 34

Sweet! I will check that log file.

If i remember it correctly it was before the firmware was installed. When i updated after that whole process no errors was shown.
Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements